Do you still call it "the truth"?

by True North 41 Replies latest jw friends

• True North
    True North

Do you find youself still calling it "the truth" even though you are an ex-JW? For instance, in one posting I just read, the poster wrote "when I was in the truth..."

Not a big deal, perhaps, but really not such a good thing either as it's a habitual holdover from the program of mental conditioning we were subject to. Wouldn't it be healthier for an ex-JW to refer to it as "the falsity" or "the falsehood" or even, if one wished to impute a lack of sincerity to the JW leadership, "the lie"? It might take some effort at first to break the old bad habit but surely it would be worth it. After all, if we are telling ourselves that we are no longer "in the truth" then what are we telling ourselves we are in?

• Spectre
    Spectre

I never called it "the truth" when I was a witness. It always seemed so pretentious.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I call it "The Cult" or "The Lie", Just hearing the words "The Truth" makes me wanna gag.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

I still do old habits die hard

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

No.

When speaking with my beloved ones who are still in, I use the terms "Witnesses" and "The SOCIETY".

I like "the Society" because it sounds so creepy and so like a Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" community. That is my acceptable cross-over "us and them" speak.

Baba.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

If I do say it it would be a slip of the tounge.. I'd bite my tounge.

Cause there ain't no way thats the "troof"

orangefatcat

• Highlander
    Highlander

Just hearing someone say "the truth" makes me cringe. I typically correct the individual in a non combative way by following up with a sentence such as, "yes, so and so is one of Jehovah's Witnesses" instead of saying, yes, that person is in "the truth"

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

TN,

I'm not a stickler for these things. When I'm on this forum and a poster uses the phrase "in the truth" it is understood that it is just a phrase with a corrupted meaning, I think it holds no wieght as to thier true feelings, and we who one time were JWs understand it to be just a word used by the jws to stop thought. Just like the term apostate, in the begining of my exit from the JW, I was some what sensitive to it, but as time went on and I deprogrammed myself more, I couldn't care less. So I guess it all depends on what stage one is at in thier leaving process.

The good thing about it is the more one reads the words "in the truth" on this forum the more one gets desensitized to the meaning it had for us when we were JW beleivers.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Doesn't the term....... 'The Society'........ sound a little 'Mafia' like?

Outaservice (but not outathetruth )

• free2beme
    free2beme

Not for several years now. I refer to it as the religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit