A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS TRIVIA TEST...How well can you do?

by Terry 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Trivia Quiz for Ex-JW's

1.Who was the first President of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.

2.When was the Watch Tower Association first formed. (What year?)

3.Who was the first Vice-President of the Society and who was the secretary-treasure?

4.When did Fred Franz join the editorial staff as a Bible "researcher" and writer for the Society's publications?

5.Who won the Olin R.Moyle lawsuit against 12 Watchtower executives in 1943 and what $$ was awarded?

6.Who exactly WAS Olin R. Moyle?

7.What was the cause of Rutherford's anger at Olin Moyle leading to firing and libeling him?

8. True or False: J.F.Rutherford refused to compromise his integrity when passages from the Finished Mystery book were found to be in violation of the Espionage Act and would not censor any part of the book or stop the distribution and this landed him in prison.

9. C.T. Russell and his wife, Maria were divorced because Maria would not render her proper marriage "due" by having sex: True or False.

*1. William H. Conley, an Allegheny, Pennsylvania banker

*2. 1881

*3. C.T.Russell's father, Joseph was Vice-President and C.T.Russell himself was secretary-treasurer (Note: each man purchased shares. Conley purchased +/- 350 shares, Joseph Lytel Russell purchased 100 shares and C.T. Russell purchased 50 shares; each at $10 apiece. (Roughly equivalent to $100 per share in current dollar values.)

*4.1926. Barbara Anderson discovered letters at the Brooklyn headquarters demonstrating that Franz wrote Rutherford's "answers" to bible questions and probably wrote his books as well while Rutherford took the writing credit.

*5.Moyle won his lawsuit and the court awarded him $30,000 in damages. (at least the equivalent of a 1/4 of a million in today's value.)

*6. Olin Moyle was the Watchtower Soceity's attorney representing the Society in the 1940 flag salute case in public schools. Rutherford ousted him to install his own choice, Hayden C. Covington.

According to the trial transcript, Moyle’s problems began after he wrote a personal letter to Rutherford in which he expressed his aversion to Rutherford’s excessive drinking and extremely abusive behavior to others, behavior which he personally observed and heard complaints about. And Arthur Worsley, a long-time Bethel staff member well-known to Kelly and Reusch, was one of the people who complained to Moyle about the indignities heaped upon him by Rutherford. Rutherford was so incensed by Moyle’s criticisms he dismissed Moyle and his wife from Bethel and placed their personal effects out on the sidewalk. Moyle was shocked by the treatment but the facts show he did not retaliate in any way. Not content with throwing Moyle out of Bethel, Rutherford and his associates viciously maligned the man’s character in the Watchtower magazine, leading Moyle to file a libel complaint against all parties responsible.

*9.False! Rutherford excised the offending passages and also stopped distribution to mollify the authorities.

*10. False! Not only would Russell never have sex with Maria; he improperly entered into "affectionate" relationship with a young woman who lived with them.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Great summary thankyou - I got 6/9

• Terry
    Terry
    Great summary thankyou - I got 6/9

Sounds like a way above average score!

I wonder how many JW's active today would get any of them correctly?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well in fairness Terry, I am not your average JW- I have been a member of this board for nearly 4 years which gives me a more rounded out education

• fairchild
    fairchild

Oh I majorly failed the test

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I think I knew about 3 of the nine. I just cheated and looked at the answers.

Your average JW will know about 1....POSSIBLY 2 of those questions.

• Terry
    Terry

Your average JW will know about 1....POSSIBLY 2 of those questions.

The interesting followup on that observation is this. Do people's ignorance about their own religion (when they insist and believe it is the ONLY TRUE religion) indicate unwillingness to face falsifiability? Or, are they intellectually dishonest? Or, are they mentally lazy and merely complacent?

???????

This sort of thing interests me.

If you could strap your average Gung-Ho JW to a chair and start piling up contradictory evidence in front of them, would there ever come a straw-breaking epiphany? Or, would it embolden their resolve all the more?

I've always asserted that belief in religion has absolutely nothing to do with information, data or evidence. It is an emotional decision based on what makes an individual comfortable. That is what, to me, is ugly about "faith". It is so snotty, elite and pig-ignorant with its nose in the air shooting the middle finger at realities which shout, "No! No! No!"

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I failed everyone one of them but I am not a witness, Your comments that the average witness would only get 1 or 2 right reminds me of what Jesus said in John 4:22a 22 Y OU worship what YOU do not know; we worship what we know,

abr

• Terry
    Terry

I was thinking this morning that, when I was an active JW I read everything I could find Pro OR con. There are things I knew all along which were dissonant. But, it went through a gateway filter in my consciousness that deflected criticism and rebutted it as I went along.

In other words, I had a kind of bargain with my belief system not to tamper with the foundational belief. I would treat any disturbing facts as "annoyances" and intrusions rather than FACTS.

The idea that we can do this to ourselves is scary to me.

We can live a life of superstition, wishful-thinking, delusion or reality in varying degrees and measures.

And we wonder why life is so hard?

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    Do people's ignorance about their own religion (when they insist and believe it is the ONLY TRUE religion) indicate unwillingness to face falsifiability? Or, are they intellectually dishonest? Or, are they mentally lazy and merely complacent?

T,

In some people's cases your above queries may be true, but lets not forget that the WBTS tries to keep matters such as those in your 'Trivia Test' quiet. For example in my case i have only been left the Org for about 18 Months and i have learned more about the Org's history in that time (from my own research) than i did in the 6 years i was an active member. So it seems to me that while the active members are insisting that the Org teaches nothing but the truth they are totally unaware of all the WBTS's skeletons in the cupboard and its only when they leave when they find out the REAL TRUTH about the WBTS.

LFCV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit