JWD outage -- what if it were longer or worse, permanent?

by Fatfreek 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

JWD to me, and for some like me, is my morning coffee. If it’s not up, like earlier today, it gets me to thinking, what if this were a permanent thing? What if JWD were actually shut down like our friend Quotes’ site in 2006?

Is there some proactive strategy, plan B, that some of you web gurus can think of?

One problem that we could solve, as individual users, is the email address. We could at least, stay in touch -- learn of group strategies, if any. However, when JWD is down we can no longer use its PM (private message) feature. How many user email addresses do you have? I can count mine on one hand.

How about some independent web-based database of JWD users, completely an opt-in kind of thing? Yours doesn’t get there unless you place it there. Further, we certainly wouldn’t want our avatar handle and home email address in some traditional web-based database where it could be harvested by spammers. I, for one, wouldn’t mind being on some list where my email address is embedded in some graphic. I think Simon uses a technique like that to legitimize login for users.

Yes, you faders would want to avoid participating in such a list for obvious reasons. I and many others, however, have no reason to fear -- I think.

Any thoughts?

Fats

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Noooooo!!

Don't leave us faders out in the cold!!!

But I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today, after my 3rd or 4th attempt to log on to JWD. What if THEY got to Simon! Shut down JWD! How would we know? How would we keep in touch with all our contacts?

Ok, time to put our thinking caps on...

GGG

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

How about for a plan B clicking on this link to chat with others from the home page of REEXAMINE.ORG

http://reexamine.org

I'll be there later this evening to see if it will work as a plan B

YC

OK, I tried the link "Reexamine Chat" and it doesn't work, Can reexaminer tell us when it may be working??? Back to the drawing board...

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I think it would be a sign that the Big A had really started!

Swalker

• penny2
    penny2

I'd go to www.jwfacts.com and email our beloved jwfacts. I'm sure he would know what to do.

penny2

• Just as I am
    Just as I am

We could always see what Dog Patch would do--maybe go to his site for a way to hook up with others.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

believe it or not, life would go on

• Forscher
    Forscher

I've always used an anonymous e-mail account.

There are very few people here who know my name and exact location for good reasons. I have the phone numbers for one of those people and if necesarry could use it to get in contact with another one of those who could help me to contact others if I needed to.

I am sure that others have simliar networks of associates. So, folks would eventually be able to communicate should that happen.

Forscher

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Fats,

its essentially happened before...

first there were friends with the ol dial in electronic bulletin boards..and usenet groups....those folks moved on to forums....then came Rick's H20 (essentially the "IT" board on the Net for JW-focused discussion) from circa 1992-1998?). That site changed servers and went down for a period of time. (It was reborn but it has never been the same.) A flock of the old H20 forum participants came to JWD.

Today, there are at least a dozen JW related boards if not more. If JWD did go down permanently (probably because Simon decided to finally pull the plug and relax) we would all just migrate to another one now existing or a new forum would be created. The need for a JW related board will continue for the forseeable future or Armageddon, which ever comes first. and only some other mode of communication or technology would supplant such a need.

-eduardo

• Nellie
    Nellie

I don't have a plan B. I've been to a few other sites, but they're more research than companionship.

I feel so vulnerable . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit