by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

cheers!

What's wrong with bulletin board?

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"What's wrong with bulletin board?"

This is a word that comes up frequently amongst bros in the US. 'Notice board' is preferred.
    I think the etymology of 'bulletin' has something to do with a religious 'bull' or 'edict'.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I never heard the "pot-luck" one since our cong used to have many many many potluck get-togethers. I can see how that would be the case though these days due to the word luck.

"Have a blessesd day" is something said quite a lot around these parts but you would never hear it from a jw.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

"Bless you!" (also like the gesundheit)

"Gosh!" (I was once told by a dear Witness that this was "an unacceptable euphemism")

"It's okay, Honey, I forgive you and I know that Jehovah has forgiven you already."

"Anybody have a lighter?"

"Congratulations on getting your degree!"

"There is nothing my precious family could do that would make me turn my back on them."

"Well, I think I'm almost ready for Christmas!"

"You know, investments in our 401-k are doing pretty good."

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Who did you vote for?

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have two tickets to the Thursday night Basketball game, do ya wanna miss the TMS and Service Meeting?

• Scully
    Scully

I got into trouble once for saying Gesundheit to someone when they sneezed. It actually means "Good health", and I happened to know that there was a German Bible in the back room of the KH, so I looked up Acts 15:28, 29 and showed them that the word Gesundheit appeared there. The person looked as though they had soiled themselves.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

"I must have been mistaken"

Knew a pio sister who said "Awesome" could only be used in reference to Jehovah.

• becca1
    becca1

Valiant one: I heard that at a circuit assembly years ago. I don't remember who said it, but it was said.

• becca1
    becca1

I once heard a visiting speaker give a public talk in which he said we should not say "shoo" or "shoo fly". He said Shoo was an ancient god (I don't remember of what culture). I remember thinking how ridiculous that was and how far this man had gone to find something new to ban.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit