Did you ever get in trouble for....

by Fleshybirdfodder 11 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Reading the Bible during the Watchtower study when you should have been "paying attention"?

I do that now, and my wife elbows me.

• undercover
    undercover

I got in trouble for it as an adult.

There was a WT study that had a scripture partially quoted to substantiate their statement in the paragraph. I had not studied previously, in fact, I was only going to a meeting once every other week or so at the time. This was at the beginning of my trying to fade away.

For some reason, I looked up the scripture partially quoted and saw that it didn't really apply to the point being made. In fact, it could be taken as opposite. So, I started looking up other scriptures referenced to that one and the pattern that emerged was a point that was opposite of what was being said in the paragraph. (Unfortunately, I don't remember the details, only the light bulb going off in my head as I realized that the WTS wasn't being completely honest in their assertions)

My intense looking up of scriptures did not go unnoticed by elders who were aware of my slack meeting attendance. Afterwards one of them asked me about what I was looking up and I responded only that I was looking up the scriptures referenced in the article. He didn't believe me and made some comment about trusting in the faithful and discreet slave and that when we remove ourselves from the meetings we lose God's spirit so we won't understand what we're reading.

Such a small thing, to be asked why you're looking up scriptures instead of following along with the WT, but yet so telling...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit