Anxiety, stress, depression - What do you take?

by MsMcDucket 30 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I've been feeling like a slug. The antidepressant that I was taking wasn't working. The doctor couldn't give me another steroid injection for my migraines because it caused my blood sugars to go sky high and made me suffer from steroid induced mania; and then after it started leaving my system, I had this really down feeling. So he put me on Gabapentin. The Gabapentin seems to work for my headache, but it caused me to have this really bad rash on my back, stomach, and arms; and it worsened my achalasia. So, he said just stop taking it??? Where does that leave me?

So what works for you? I'm going in to see my doctors next week. I know that there are newer antidepressants and antiepilectics out there that may work for me. Is anyone out there on the newer meds and are you happy with the results?

Thanks

Melinda

• bernadette
    bernadette

((((((((M E L I N D A)))))))))

bernadette

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Cipramil worked for me, it's an SSRI. I took myself off it about a year ago and that went well. The last few months have been stressful with exams and an interstate house move and I thought about going back on them but I'll give it a little longer to see if I can settle into a new routine first.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I dont take antidepressants but a number of my clients do; the most common for less serious depression I found to be Citalopram.

DB74

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

after starting treatment in the middle '80's with Trazadone, I then was moved to Prozac, which made me a bit manic. Now, I am taking Effexor, but, lately I've been feeling very lethargic...........of course, none of that would have anything to do with the fact that I'm 70lbs. overweight, now, would it..........? Ah, the tangled webs we weave..........

Terri

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Effexor, but, lately I've been feeling very lethargic.

I am no doctor but apparently this is one of the side effects of this antidepressant; a number of my clients have been prescribed this and have described the same side effects.

Gary (DB74)

• BrentR
    BrentR

I use St John's Wort, 5mg of methylcobalamin and a high dose EFA combo. After having every Rx not work or make it worse I had to go off on my own and learn that the brain is just like any other organ and needs certain nutrients in order to function properly. This cocktail has been working great for me for over ten years now. But everyone is different and what works for me may not for someone else.

My MD asked me three questions when I told her I am done with antidepresants.

Is it working? yes

Are there any side affects? No

Is it expensive? No

She then said if anything changes come back in otherwise keep doing what your doing. So I did.

• penny2
    penny2

A local organisation helped me (Panic Anxiety Disorder Association). They have a website:

www.panicanxietydisorder.org.au

Three things that helped me with stress and anxiety:

Meditation (refer above website - nothing to do with religion), exercise (walking, mainly) and changing my thinking by reading books (mainly "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series by R Carlson).

Fear of depression used to be my greatest fear. My last episode occurred about 9 years ago when my thinking started to go on an irrational and destructive path (I could see that in hindsight). The only way I know to relieve my depression is to help someone in need so that my thinking is totally directed to someone else and away from myself. That allows my brain to get back on track. I've been depression-free for years now, partly I think, because I've sorted out many of my JW related issues.

Melinda, hope you find some relief because anxiety, stress and depression are every bit as debilitating as physical illness.

penny2

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

DB (Gary) You have a PM

• Scully
    Scully

(((( Melinda ))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit