Not talking about JW stuff has the opposite effect - regression phase

by truthseeker 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    I go, not to give my wife hope, but to keep the friends from bothering her about "why isn't your husband here."

Sorry to break the news to you, but on the days you don't go to the meetings, your wife is getting the "Why isn't your husband here, is he sick? Oh, well tell him we said, 'Hi.'" You can take that one to the bank.

Not that I am in the same shoes as you, but when I was a teenager and my mom came to the conclusion JWs are not the truth, it was all my Kingdom Hall conversations revolved around.

• sspo
    sspo

Take your time with her and don't push the issue otherwise you will lose her and end up in a divorce. I lost my wife after 26 years of marriage because she could not accept the fact

I had issues with the GB, 140 years of changes and lies.

We all know it's nothing but emotions and fear of the watchtower as they decide to stay in the Borg.

My wife could never accept the fact that I could be right and 6.5 million of intelligent JW's might be wrong

• Highlander
    Highlander

Folks, it's sometimes true - if either spouse STOPS going to the hall completely, the other spouse may be shunned or at least any association with them will be curtailed.

This is especially true, IF it is suspected that the spouse who is fading no longer believes it's the truth,

If the spouse is suspected of apostasy, then the other spouse will be embarassed and feel very awkward when they go to the hall.

This is very true, and the fact that you are trying to make it easier on your wife says a lot about you.

My wife switched to a new congregation cuz' she tired of being asked about my whereabouts. At that time I only went on sundays and they continually harassed her on the other two

meetings that I would never attend. I no longer attend at all and at her new hall she is not harassed at all. I know this sounds bad, but I'm actually quite tempted to start attending

once a week at her new hall so that the 'loving brothers and sisters'™ will start harassing her again when I'm missing on the other two meetings. she's admitted to me that she thinks

the witnesses are a bit fanatical and maybe harassment from her new congregation will get her thinking again.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

I met a lady once who was a former jw. She told me a story about a jw woman who came into her home for a Bible Study. After a very short time, the ex-jw said, Wait a minute. Let me finish this for you. I will ask you this question, and you will answer the question by stating this answer. Then I will ask you this question and you will respond to me by stating this.

The woman just stared at her in utter amazement. The lights went on for her and she then realized she had been brainwashed and douped.

True story.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Wow truthseeker, some really good advise here and much to think about. I went through what you are going through, mine ended in divorce, she left with Society approval after 20 years of marriage, just more proof to me that this whole thing is a bunch of trash and man made. However in looking at your dilemna when it comes to trying to unbrainwash people, you cant change people no matter how hard you try, I believe Ron White said it best "You can'f fix stupid" but more importantly when it comes to you; it all comes down to honesty and courage. Go look in the mirror and stare at yourself and be completely honest with yourself not anyone else but you and God.

I heard it once said------A coward dies everyday, a brave man only dies once".

Ps 15:1,2

1 O Jehovah, who will be a guest in your tent?
    Who will reside in your holy mountain?

2 He who is walking faultlessly and practicing righteousness
    And speaking the truth in his heart.

It is time to be honest with someone! I wish you the best and feel for your pain and situation but you cant stop the inevitable!

abr

• Gill
    Gill

truthseeker - You've got some really great suggestion here! Very few people get their spouse to leave Watchtower land quickly! Take your time, but take your stand!

Do not go to the meetings.

Do not go to Field Service.

You are finished with Watchtower land.

What you are not finished with is your wife. You love her more than anything.

I can only tell you what my husband did. For years he did what you are doing, go to a few meetings, occassional FS! It wore him down to the point where he had had enough not only of Watchtower land but me to.

He had been very quiet for a few weeks. I asked him what was the matter and he stood his full height and said: 'I am never going to the meetings again. I will never go out on FS again. I never want to read another Watchtower publication again.'

'Why!' I asked frantically.

'Because it's all RUBBISH! You can go to meetings. I'll take you. Whatever, I'll help you but I will never go again.'

I insisted on going. I was ignored after a few weeks of people asking where my husband was. Then, a few weeks later, no one was talking to me at all. Six months later, I found myself sitting in the library, struggling with three of my kids who also didn't want to be there. The talk finished. I looked at all those holier that thou faces in the KH and decided I would never, ever go to the KH again. I would rather die than spend time with those smug arse holes.

Throughout that time my husband had been kind, patient, helpful. He would take and fetch me from meetings and FS.

I had to decide. What I had infact decided was that I would rather die with the man I loved that live forever with those arrogant arses.

Nearly a year later I stumbled across JW sites on the internet and I've been kicking myself ever since.

What I'm saying is that your wife has to wake up from her nightmare on her own. She has to discover the truth about Da Troof and understand it and want to understand it herself.

All you have to do is give her an alternative to the lies of the Watchtower. You can give her real help and support but not necessarily by going along to meetings etc.

I hope it all goes well for you. Patience is the only real issue.

We never ever argued about the Watchtower Society. I respected him enough to know that he meant 'NO' when he said it. He respected me enough not to force me to not go to meetings but to help me to do what I thought I wanted to do.

But it was his example that saved me in the end. I wanted the happiness we had when we were at home to be there all the time. I didn't in the end, want to go to meetings with those nasty cold people any more.

Good luck, Truthseeker!

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Truthseeker I'm in a similar situation. My wife & I have been married for almost two decades and have two kids. Since I stopped serving as an elder a few months ago we've had a couple of brief separations, and when we are together it is a stressful time around the house. I've come to realize my wife just isn't going to "get it" until she is ready, and unfortunately that might never happen. Like your wife, no matter what I say or show her she says this is Jah's Org and the imperfect men running things are doing the best they can. She even admits I'm right about some things, but says I think too much of myself and don't want to wait on Jah, etc...I'm sure you know the argument. I don't really have any advice, I wish I did, because I'd sure use it in my situation. I hope things get better for you.

• freefromthewt
    freefromthewt

Dear truthseeker,

I would recommend sitting down with your wife and having a deep Bible study regularly and learning about what the Bible has to say about things, not what the WT and GB have to say about things. I'm sure you will quickly see what the Bible says and what the WT says are two different things.

A good place to start would be a study on Jesus, who was he? Who did he say he was? Who do the WT say Jesus was? Have a read of this webpage for ideas:

http://www.freeminds.org/history/whathapp.htm

A Different Jesus

When I began to study the identity of Jesus Christ and the things he said about himself, and the things his disciples said about him, it soon became obvious that I had been misled by the false doctrines of the Watchtower. Jesus voluntarily placed himself in subjection to the Father, and he was bound with the limitations of men; but he was also God (John 1:1). Pick up the Watchtower's Kingdom Interlinear Translation and look up these verses in the original Greek literal rendering:

* His disciples recognized him as God (Jn 1:1, 5:18, 20:28, Rom. 9:5, 1 Jn 5:20, Col. 1:19, 2:9)

* The angels worshiped him as God (Heb. 1:6-12)

* Jesus and the Father are both the Alpha and Omega (Rev.1:8, 22:13)

These and many other proofs were not easy to accept, having been taught that Jesus is an archangel and merely one of God's creations. Fully understanding the nature of God is beyond human reasoning; just as we are unable to comprehend an infinite God with no beginning. We must listen to the whole Word of God to get an accurate picture, and not attempt to ignore or explain away the scriptures that refer to Jesus as Jehovah God, just because we cannot explain it in human terms.

As you start to notice the differences either pick up a KJV or find one on the Internet and begin to use it in your Bible studies. You won't learn about "God's active force" but rather you will learn about the Holy Ghost, "he shall teach you all things"(John 14:26) and "he will guide you into all truth"(John 16:13). The same Holy Ghost who descended from Heaven upon Jesus(Matthew 3:16, Mark 1:10, Luke 3:22, John 1:32) can dwell in the believer today(1 Corinthians 6:19-20, Acts 19:2-6) if you will be "baptized with the Holy Ghost"(Acts 11:15-16). The Holy Ghost is a part of the trinity(Matthew 28:19, 2 Corinthians 13:14, 1 Peter 1:11-12, 1 John 5:8, 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.[the Word is Jesus Christ as it states clearly in John 1:14 "And the Word was made flesh"]). Look closer and you will notice subtle changes such as this verse as found in John 1:1:

King James Version
    John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    New World Translation
    http://www.watchtower.org/bible/joh/chapter_001.htm
    John 1:1 1 In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

The addition of "a"(made bold for emphasis) changes the verse completely(you will also notice the lowercase g). There are three warnings in the Bible where God warns not to add or subtract to his word:

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
    Proverbs 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
    Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

The last warning given in Revelation might be just referring to the Book of Revelation itself. There are a lot more changes in the NWT than just this, I'd recommend doing a google search using "New World Translation" as the search terms and doing an indepth study on this topic.

• Borgia
    Borgia

@ Gill, did you experience keeping your 3 kids in line by yourself during the meetings as a burden?

Did you wish your husband were there to support you?

Did any of the cong help you?

I think you now could perfectly see through the shallowness of their 'love'. I suppose you would have had a different opinion if your cong were a real nice place to go to, were all members talk to each other and help out.

In my case my wife has to keep those 2 little rascals of mine in line without me. Oftentimes, she comes home with stories about the way my son behaved. But she also relates about the help she gets. And I agree with her, it is a lovely cong. Probably the best I´ve seen in 40 years.

So, in her case, she will not see the light through lack of love. She sometimes complains about my facial expression during sunday meetings when she sees me disagreeing with some utter BS in the WT, and she complains it sticks with her and she does not like it. "mistakes" alibi bigtime. It´s still J-sOrg, she insists on that. However, at closer examination she found out that the two of us do not feel so much different about a great deal of things. It´s just she does not consider them to be dealbreakers. But I know there are and at this point in time I do not see them fulfilled.

@Truthseeker: What makes you so sure she will turn you in? Did she explicitly say that?

Cheers

Borgia

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I would recommend you both entering couple therapy. Not only will it help you communicate the truth with each other, it will also give you both a more balanced (non-fundametalist) common ground mediator.

Let her know it is because of how important it is to you, and how much you love her.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit