Is it wrong to be proud of achievements?

by free2beme 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
    Golf

My answer to your question is NO! I've been a competitor since childhood and my view has always been to play the game. Participation is and was my intention.

Golf

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Free2beme-------- You are doing nothing wrong. The bottom line here...IS the bottom line. The company recognizes that the $20,000/ year you (rightly) want to hang onto COULD be going into THEIR pocket. Over the last five years, you've earned $100,000 more than they would generally expect/ want a sales rep. to get. It doesn't matter to them that you are good at it and happy. It matters to them whether YOU are cost effective for THEM. Right now they see you as being not cost effective for them.

You may wind up having to decide what to do to either preserve your current status or to take proactive or pre-emptive steps to create a new status, before they impose a change ON you. [Like...even if it seems ridiculous, removing the trophies to not 'stand out' as much and to draw less fire/ attention to your money-'sucking' (from their standpoint, i.e.). Like I said, you are doing nothing wrong...but your status quo may be in peril. Be on the lookout for ways to resolve this situation, 'cause it doesn't sound like it's going to go away on it's own.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

sorry---double post

• serendipity
    serendipity

Sounds like something that could happen where I work. I would remove the trophies and do the other things your boss asks that doesn't involve taking the promotion. If you're a union employee, is there any way you can file a grievance? It's very poor management to threaten a person with job loss if they don't want to advance.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

One thing that is an HR no-no is discussing wages. I know of companies in this area that will dismiss employees who reveal how much they make to others, it's considered confidential. I don't know if that is wrong, very wrong, okay or right. Just saying. So whatever you do in the future I would never discuss how much you make or the wages of potential jobs with coworkers.

On the other hand CONGRATS on being good a what you do and getting the bottom line reward for it. AND behind closed doors I would suggest that if they are embarrassed by your trophies that they gave you - perhaps they shouldn't be giving such big trophies to their best employees.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. It has irritated me a lot. On the note of the poster who mentioned, keeping my wages confidential, I agree. I never tell people what I make, but supervisors can look at all sales representatives wages and have seen mine and shared them all to often with enough people to have people I never even met or talked too, asking me about it. It irritates me, as I don't want people to know. At the same time, I do not lie and act like I make less. I work in a very odd environment at times.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Sometimes HR, bean counters and spineless middle managers really chap my ass

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I've just got one thing to say:

(Luke 17:10) . . .So YOU, also, when YOU have done all the things assigned to YOU, say, ‘We are good-for-nothing slaves. What we have done is what we ought to have done.’"

What a recipe for low self-esteem.

tsof

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit