Is it wrong to be proud of achievements?

by free2beme 27 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I don't want to have this come across as bragging, but I have to explain this to ask this question. Okay, where I work is a call center and I do sales, along with customer service. For the last five years, out of 2500 representatives online nationally, I have been number one in sales for all months and years. Not by a little either, were talking a complete blow out. I have won trips to Cancun, Bahamas and next April to the Camel back Inn In Scottsdale Arizona. I have trophies on my desk that almost need their own address, there are so many and they are so big. So, you would think I would be all showy and arrogant, right? Not in the least, people want to beat me all the time and I am more then willing to sit down and help them. I wrote a whole training book, and even teach training classes when I can. I am number one in the nation, on the number one team in the nation, and in the number one call center in the nation. Not taking credit for it all, but I think I do something right.

So there are management positions that come open all the time, and people look to me to apply and I do not. Why? Because I am a commission sales person and when you pull in six figures doing that, and management is almost a $20,000 or more pay cut, why apply? So I have done this for nearly five years now and no one has bothered me. Just pats on the back, thanks for the help with others and so on. Well it all changed today. I get the head call center manager calling me in to the office to speak with me, I figure it will be a, "Can you get the troops motivated" talk. Which has happened before and I do my best, and try and come up with something new and exciting for people to offer some way. So I am sitting there and they start getting all serious, and I am wondering what I did. So they ask me why I do not want to apply for anything and always comment that it would be a pay cut. I mention, "because it is" and I am happy being a representative. They then comment that they are getting pressure from corporate to get me to do something, other then being a representative. It seems, they are all puzzled that someone would want to stay on the lowest level in the company and not want more. Maybe it is my pay? Well, I then get lectured on how I need to removed my trophies from my desk, as they make people think I am overly proud. They mention how if I keep telling people I will not take a management position, due to the pay cut involved, I could loss my job and be replaced. They then mention, that I need to apply for management and be a team player, and benefit more people then me. At the same time, the head call center manager tell me he would not higher me, as a manager, as I am so negative about the pay cut.

So after getting reamed for being to successful and content, I walk back to my desk in a daze. Did I enter the Twilight Zone, is someone going to pop out and say, "Just kidding?" After all, I was threatened with being fired, because I was too good. I should also add, I have never missed a day of work, never been late, follow my schedule to the minute, have some of the highest positive customer service reports percentage and always volunteer for OT when asked. Yet here I am, walking to my desk wondering if I will have a job all this year, because I did well. Apparently I better be less proud of achievement, and reach out to be a supervisor. I feel sort of numb with all the insanity of it, but what can you expect, I do work for a corporation.

Help me out here, is it wrong to be proud of achievements?

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

This brings up lots of questions actually. Do you figure despite your sales and acheivements that they deem you as dispensible. Do you think your dipesible? It seems to me that your pride or else your earnings has gotten someone jealous on a personal level. I don't think it's wrong to have pride but one's abilities and reputation tend to speak for themselves and perhaps inner pride with a sense of modesty might better suit your juxtaposition to your enemy. Do you sense they are trying to teach you humility or humiliate you? Do your abilities make people threatened ?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have been told before, you make more then everyone in this center but the call center manager. Something that has been pointed out as a frustration to other supervisors who think they should automatically be paid more then the representative, even when they spend most of the day in the gym ... if they showed up to work at all. I am actually the opposite of proud at work, and hate even writing my achievements here. I am just frustrated! I have never lived in the illusion of thinking I can not be replaced. That is why I come to work and put my best foot forward each day, and never miss work and do things by the book. I was always told, hard work and dedication is what people want. Guess that is not always the case.

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

No the is nothing wrong with being proud of your achievements as long as it doesn't make your peers feel incompitent.

You should have told them that you would take the job if they would match your current earnings.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Some people are company men and can't never beleive that they are indespensible and that the company actually cares. My father and brother are very company oreiented. I never have been, just can't buy into that mentality. But you what my guts tellin me is, it's time to start greasing the right folks!

• free2beme
    free2beme

By nature I am not a brown noser. I was in management for 13 years before I worked at my current position, and came in with the attitude of "I want to show people what I am, not what I fake myself to be." I honestly thought people would leave me alone, as long as I did my job and did it well. The idea of thinking I have to brown nose some of the low life supervisors I work with, makes me want to vomit. Personally, I think they are just sick of paying me so much and want me to get into a position to save them on payroll.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Money talks for sure, especially when others have less of it. I don't blame you for not wanting to digress to a lower wage. I find it hard to beleive they would consider their top salesperson dispensible. If you truly can't see yourself in this new framework, surly your talents could be used elsewhere. Maybe they are bluffing to see if they can increase your productivity. Sometimes we feel comfortable with our acheivements and fail to realize when we need a shakeup. Hard to say.

• Mystla
    Mystla

The title of this thread sounds like the title of an Awake!

My suggestion is to make some calls to other corps who have the same sort of position and see if they will make you an offer.. when they do, and they will, with your credentials, go back to management and call their bluff.. tell them about the offers you have from other companys and tell em to get off your back or you'll go elsewhere.

Good luck, and don't let the bastards get you down!!

Misty

• searching4truth
    searching4truth

Even though they are paying so much you have to be making them a ton of money so won't they lose that if you are in a different position?

• oldflame
    oldflame

Have you ever known someone who had low self esteem ? I think being proud of your accomplishments helps build that self esteem. Those who have low self esteem seem to have a problem coping in todays world. I know a few of them and it is sad. Hell yes pat yourself on the back it sounds like you earned it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit