Has the Internet changed your life?

by Fisherman 19 Replies latest social current

• abbagail
    abbagail

Great replies from everyone... Interesting!

----------------

I'm too tired to be as poetic as Coco's description of the stone-built library with green ivy lacing the walls, but the answer to the question is an absolute YES!

Have always had "researcher" in my genes, but as another said, I barely remember how I achieved any research without the internet. I remember I used to do a TON of xeroxing to be able to share whatever info I had "discovered" lately, or gathered about whatever subjects...

I never was a fan of libraries... I need books I can write in... so Book STORES were my favorite places... loved to just hang out there and look - smell - feel - peruse a variety of books, and always took a few home...

Now I can "write" in everything I read by merely copying info and slapping it into an email and make notes as I read along...and then it's ready-made to pass along and share instantly, with commentaries included. ;-) What could be more convenient?

Awesome invention, no doubt about it.

And I'm sure God put it here at just the right time that we needed it, because as Chaylah said:

"...Lies and Perfidy are in charge. Unless you're willing to mine for information many hours a day, it's easy to remain deceived, as those are who watch TEEVEE or simply read their local newspaper. The system's built ta fool ya."

Amen sista! And then along comes this "in the NOW" tool [internet] to conveniently combat the lies and share your discoveries far and wide and almost effortlessly... I'm positive the Lord provided this means to accomplish such a feat at the "right time"...

/abbagail

• free2beme
    free2beme

The Internet touches us in so many ways we do not think of. Most people think of Internet and think of that computer in your house with you DSL, Cable or dial-up connection. You think of going to sites, like this one, to chat or shopping, news or any number of things. That is just the surface of what the Internet did to change the world. The major stuff is it's interaction with the business world, it's portholes of communication and technology, and it means of connecting the world in a no other way that ever proceeded it. We have telephone threw it, television, banking networks, super computer networks, cell services, etc. It has changed the world and has eclipsed the invention of the computer, as one of the major turning points in the human evolution of society. I could see a point in the future, in which we will be wet wired in to our brains, with the Internet. It is a door, only partly opened at this point and yet look what we have done so far.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Yes, it HAS changed my life...in SO many ways.

I love libraries and book stores, but I grew up in a very small town and live in another very small town now, both of which have NO bookstores and VERY small libraries. And with the books I was always special ordering through the library there was a very high rate of unavailability. I love researching on-line now. Such treasures I have found! Definitely a wading through and weeding out process though

Growing up, I enjoyed having penpals in other countries, but usually had to wait quite a while for letters. Now I can Instant Message so many different people in so many different countries and even see them or speak with them with a simple click. (Also a weeding out process)

I found my soul-mate onlineI converted onlinetwiceI am finding great stores (Did I mention there isn't even a clothing store where I live? let alone any specialty shops.) I am beginning to learn Turkish and Arabic and SpanishI can find great recipes just that quickAnd JWDF has been simply amazing

~Merry

• compound complex
    compound complex

A wonderful account, Merry M!

It's all so true what you have said! The rare occasions I do venture forth and find myself in a library - well, it just isn't the same. When I was a child I was filled with wonder and expectation. Now, it's a matter of expediency. I heard the performance of a piano concerto on NPR. It was that of an obscure Russian composer of the early 20th century. At the library there was scant info on his life and work. On the net, however........!

Thanx for your lovely story!

CoCo

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

The internet has changed my life, in many ways. One way of course is the easy research abilities that the internet affords me. Another, perhaps more dramatic, and life changing way is, my first wife, discovered cybersex, and the ease of finding someone else to invest her life with. I'd become disabled from a construction accident, was told by Washington State Labor and Industry, (L & I) that since I could no longer work in construction, I had to go to school, read college and learn new skills that would enable me to rejoin the workforce. We, (my first wife and I bought a computer as a study aid.) Several months later, we got our first internet access. Then I started school full time. Several months after we joined the internet, I came home to find her seated at the computer, dressed in a flimsy baby-doll nitie, sans panties, enjoying sex with someone she'd met online. Here I might mention, she'd cut me off from sex at least two years earlier, telling me she was no longer interested in sex! LOL Not long after finding her enjoying sex online, she iniatiated sex with me again. At first I was happy as a newly wed. Even condoned her sexual behavior on line. I was to learn soon, within a couple months that she was actually using her self as bait, looking for a new mate. A mate that would be able to support her like she was used to before my accident. She found a fellow in California willing to pay for her to fly from Washington down to his home, where he wined her, dined her, and whatever else. She came home, announced she loved the guy, (why not, he owned a 5 bedroom home, lol) and would rejoin him as soon as our divorce was finalized. Needless to say, he never invited her back to his home in California. She moved to Western Washington soon after she initiated the divorce, and went through several men since then, finally marrying a widower two years ago. I in turn, met my second wife online through a personal ad on Yahoo. We've ushered in the 7th New Year this year, that we've been together. Strangely enough, after my first wife, remarried, her JW siblings and relatives ceased to shun her, accepting and even visiting her in her home with her non JW husband.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yes, in many positive ways. But it is also a great time waster if I allow "screen suck" to take over. I have dial up which is cheap, but it's also a time waster.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It has made a difference but hardly life changing. Certainly on the world stage I consider the internet to be an invention on a par with the invention of the printing press in the Middle Ages

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i might still be in the borg if it wasn't for the internet. google was the the thing that saved my life i'd argue. wikipedia. that has to be the number one place i hang out. i can just surf ideas all day long if i wanted to. boards like this, skeptic and iidb.org type boards have blown my left hemisphere wide open. and i'm actually right hemisphere dominated, so it's been good for sure. it's the one thing i miss when i am out in the middle of no where.

tetra

• Xena
    Xena

If it weren't for the internet what do you suppose the odds would be for a woman in the middle of Texas meeting and falling for a man living on an island in Scotland???

• vitty
    vitty

Yes. I keep ordering books that peeps on forums like this recommend My JW daughter thinks im constantly on chat sites, which is not true, it has changed my life it opened up a secret world I didnt know about, the world were JWs left the "truth" for other reasons than being wicked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit