Has the Internet changed your life?

by Fisherman 19 Replies latest social current

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Information at my finger tips. No one can have the upper hand on me beccause of information. Medicine. Law, Relogion. Everything I want or want to know about I can finnd on the internet.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wealth of information. Reason why the bOrg is so afraid of it.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

The internet has changed my life. It is a multipurpose powerful tool. Everyday I learn more and more and it seems to empower my convictions and help me relate more to people. Welcome to the information age. What we have to do is sort through tons of useless information and find out what is valuable that we can apply to our lives. It is all at your fingertips. Right now I find all the information on this forum to be extremely useful , enlightening and healing. It's a miracle that is helping thousands understand themselves and there world better. I wish I had done it sooner. It just seems like there are more possibilities now and the world seems more connected as I see myself in others of like kind.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

The internet has changed my life in a lot of ways. I no longer waste money on Playboy or Penthouse. Plus, if I want to meet some new people, I just have to open an account somewhere with a girl's name.

Seriously though, I don't remember how I researched before the internet.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Lauders of the Net,

When I was a kid, hometown libraries were hundred-year old stone monuments, held together by a very old skin of impenetrable ivy. Expansive lawns, surrounding the venerable edifice, were shaded by mighty oaks. My home away from home. The musty smell of old books, the hushed voices that revered the quiet necessary for concentration, the solemn, measured steps through towering shelves of ancient wisdom. Heaven.

They tore down my sanctuary and threw up a sparkling, modern monstrosity of brick and glass and steel. Nostalgia is a thing of the past. Fast forward to the world of the NET: quick, efficient and no need to burn fossil fuels to get a load of books. Instant availability of obscure and arcane reading. The world at your fingertips.

I do miss the stacks.

CoCo

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

CoCo,

I love libraries. That having been said, I haven't been in one for a year or so.

Why?

The INTERNET!

My partner, Lori, reads a book or two a week, most of which she buys over the Net for a few bucks. I know, I know, shop local. But this is so incredibly convenient and fun.

The Net is awesome. I love the research capabilities, and I use it every single day.

Has it changed my life? Yes.

S4

• chaiyah
    chaiyah

The problem with the Internet is that the signal-to-noise ratio is very low. An individual has to literally plough through mountains and valleys full of BS to get to anything that is real, valid, verifiable or true. I have spent the past twelve years on the internet : from 1994-2000, four hours a day; from 2000-now, fourteen hours a day. Ploughing through information, passing along good stuff, archiving real good stuff, and building a case that Lies and Perfidy are in charge. Unless you're willing to mine for information many hours a day, it's easy to remain deceived, as those are who watch TEEVEE or simply read their local newspaper. The system's built ta fool ya. : )

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Seriously though, I don't remember how I researched before the internet.

Lots of us did it. I'm not knocking the 'net but I do sometimes feel it has made us lazy. When I was starting my research I spent hours at the Reference Section of our library - spent a tidy sum on overdue fines from the Lending Section too!

I definately wouldn't turn the clock back, I just wish that I could still get that feeling of achievment at finally discovering what I'd been searching for. Now we all just 'google it' - no hard work, no big rush.

God I've got the new years malaise . . .

• sspo
    sspo

i don't know about changing my life, helped me with doubts I always had about the Borg and definetely for buying, selling and traveling

everything is at your fingertip at a much better price.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Im not too young to not remember the Internet but I cant imagine life without it now.

Before the web we were almost all consumers of data and entertainment. Now with a blog or youtube (etc) we have become writers, artists, & film producers. Anyone can (if talented enough) become a Thomas Paine, or Dylan Thomas. You dont have to go to a record label to become a known musician now.

Small businesses use cheap VPN over the Internet to share resources between offices.

Hoe doet u? Mijn naam is Mat.

I can understand someone who has written me in Dutch, and write back to them.

Sharing of free data: The complete works of Charles Taze Russell are available online for example. This idea of sharing, free, without cost to you is the true life changing, world changing paradigm of the internet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit