Most controversial?

by joe_black 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I'm not sure about how controversial, but the most ridiculous may very well have been the pervading thought that the distribution of the False Religion tract would trigger a wave of persecution against JWs.

It, as is true of all the tract campaigns, was ignored except for being made fun of on Youtube.

S4

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The blood and child abuse issues will always be controversial in my book.

The blood doctrine is so confusing now that I doubt even the people who wrote it can fully understand it, and the jws continued attempts to shield child molesters within their organisation will surely lead to further problems with the authorities.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I would say, it was the insinuation made at the fall assemblies, that the preaching work was ending by the end of 2006. So many Witnesses, like my mother, thought they were serious.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Their policy of Disfellowshipping. They can give someone the Boot for just about any reason.

• Confession
    Confession

The only exposure I have to the WTS is what I find here at this message board. But I did pick up on this little gem from a 2006 Watchtower article. First a couple of preliminary scriptures...

“Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.” [Acts 4:24, NWT]
    “Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” [John 14:6, NWT]

Then comes this jewel...

“…survival of individuals today depends on their faith and their loyal association with the earthly part of Jehovah's universal organization.” [Watchtower, May 15, 2006]
  • J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Guess we'd better start looking for that "earthly part of Jehovah's universal organization." Process of elimination already says, One down (WTS is not it). Must be out there somewhere...keep looking...!

• zagor
    zagor
    what do you think was the most controversial thing that happened or was said by the Watchtower in 2006?

I'm no longer in tune so much what is happening in dubland these days, but judging according to comments and threads on this site and elsewhere I would say it was their renewed attack on education that will have most impact on lives of people still inside.

Constantly shifting view on education (as well as other things) not only demonstrates inability of this organization to set coherent set of policies and guidelines but at the same time speaks volumes about their utter amateurism. Unfortunately, an average dub would be so perplexed and confused by it all that he would probably start blaming himself for not being in 'step with spiritual chariot'. Never mind that chariot is making so many U-turns that were it on a battle field it would show to their 'enemies' only one thing - utter confusion and devastation among R&F.

One thing you will never hear from them or read in watchtower is the same sort of references when it comes to running a business . Which by the way would take about 10 times more of your commitment and time than going to university. In fact, I remember one of my last conventions ever noticing something quite peculiar. There was a striking increase in 'experience' related from the stage where, say, this ' brother is an elder, possibly also a pioneer, and is running his own business'. Which I found rather interesting. WTBS is actually actively implanting idea in minds of R&F of running their own businesses, they can't say it openly of course but when you put everything together that is what emerges.

Of course, one can see why, stupid dub + lots of money = richer WTBS on the other hand smart dub + eduction = troublemaker asking too many question.

• joe_black
    joe_black

Regarding the "new and improved?" blood issue, I asked my (hardcore, society can't be wrong about anything)JW mother what she thought about it. Her reply was "they didn't change anything". I told her she needed to read her WT's thoroughly. She still didn't believe that they had changed anything(don't know if she ever actually read that issue). I asked her hypothetically "what if they began to tell you that you could now receive a blood transfusion without being marked or DF'd?" Her reply was "then and only then would I start doubting that it was the "truth". It got me to thinking that many JW's base their whole faith on this blood doctrine rather on the love of Christ......and btw Happy New Year to Everyone!

• zensim
    zensim

Joe Black you are so right. I remember when I was a jw thinking to myself "Even if I weren't a witness I would still not take a blood transfusion, that is one of the most fundamental of god's laws that should NEVER be broken". That, and "Even if I weren't a witness I would still not celebrate xmas, birthdays etc". Hmmm .... maybe the fact that I was often given to thinking "Even if I weren't a witness ...." should have told me something - ha ha!

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

The biggest hypocritical load of BS was the worldwide special tract campaign announcing "False Religion's End is Near".

"Thank you God that I am not like all the other sinners around me", prayed the self-righteous Pharisee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit