visiting 'apostate sites' - spying - can it be done?

by unhappy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• unhappy
    unhappy

Please advise me - Can I be spied upon.

I share broadband access with another computer in my home. The other computer is the main access wireless provider for broadband. Can the other computer be set up in such a way that the apostate sites I visit are noted by the computer user.

Hope I'm just being paranoid.

thanks

happier now

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Are you saying that access to the internet can ONLY be granted with the other computer on?

steve

• unhappy
    unhappy

No. I can log on separately

• wednesday
    wednesday

i think they are saying that they live in a home where there is more than one computer, and the other persons computer is the one hooked to the cable (or aol or dsl or yo get it) or whatever, and their (the second computer) is hooked in through a wireless wroter. I have also wondered the same thing. Can the other person access your computer? I don't know enough to access theirs, even if it were possible.

• unhappy
    unhappy

Yes that's exactly it. Starting to feel a little paranoid.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

I just asked my brother in law. He said someone would have to actively (manually) go into your computer, and within Internet Explorer go to Tools then Options then find Temporary Internet Files. That's what tells the History of sites you've looked at. If you go through and delete your own cookies and your own History, then you have nothing to worry about.

But if you delete ALL the cookies, then passwords you have already set up for certain websites will have to be re-setup each time you log on, so it's up to you how much risk you are likely facing by leaving cookies behind. My guess is, just erase your HISTORY and let spy-sweeper handle the Cookies. Unless you have die-hard computer geeks/ investigators in the house, this should be good enough.

And I know what you mean about the paranoia! It's good to hear that others deal with these irrational, scary fears when leaving (or just questioning) the BORG. It helps to know that's NOT you going insane--that it's a sane response to an insane situation!

• mama1119
    mama1119

We have two computers hooked on the same internet, but you can only acess my stuff from my computer, my husband cannot tell what I look at from his computer, he would have to be on mine to see that.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

If you are both sharing a router to access the internet then your safe. To track your internet activity remotely would be tricky.

steve

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Don't be overly worried about what people can do.
    They will always find a way to hack, follow websites. The real trick is
    what to do with that information. Advertisers want to know where you
    go to make money. But what's a friend / family member / spy going to
    do with your apostate sites? This is way too complicated for a
    judicial committee to use. All you have to do is DENY, DENY, DENY.

I used to work at a company that had lots of slow periods- I would go on
    the internet and basically goof off. I knew the boss could monitor my
    internet usage, but I also knew that he would have to admit that he did
    such a thing. I never worried about it, he never admitted to spying.

If someone is out to get you, they should not be able to do more than
    know where you went. They would have to read quite a bit to figure out
    who you are on the site. You would just DENY, DENY, DENY.

• unhappy
    unhappy

thanks everyone for your replies

If you are both sharing a router to access the internet then your safe. To track your internet activity remotely would be tricky.

Yes we are both sharing a router. How tricky is it to track my internet activity.

Because the individual worked on his computer with the most knowlegeable computer literate bro at our KH.

thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit