Did You Overly Discipline Your Kids Because Of Being A Witness?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

In the 21st century, giving your child a whupping can land you in jail no matter what the Proverbs say!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

What I regret is that I would be too hard on my kids for normal childhood behaviors. Everyone expected the kids in the hall to act like miniature adult Jehovah's Witnesses and my hubby and I would expect them to sit still for hours without making a peep. which is entirely impossible for a young child to do. Sometimes he would take them out and spank them, ( which I hated) but I usually just gave them a stern talking to. Lilly

• Jez
    Jez

My poor oldest got spanked in the 'mothers room' for making noise during the meetings....I HATE myself for that and HATE thinking about it. I was wrong wrong wrong to ever touch her like that for such stupid reasons.

By the time I had my second, maturity and a separation from what others "thought" I should do kicked in, so I stopped.

A tap on the bottom, as in 'YO, pay attention!', yes, spanking, never ever again.

Jez

• jinjam
    jinjam

My sister and i were never spanked, now that i think about it, we got wacked the living daylights out of us, blue marks and bruises that resembled leather belts, not just for doing something naughty, but for not sitting still at the meetings, not wanting to go to the meeting , backchatting my mother which usually meant about to open my mouth to say something,not having the expression on my face that she wanted,(boy, was she fustrated) ofcourse with the added bonus of "if you live under my roof you will do as i say" or "you are full of demons" scenario. The last wack we got was at two o clock in the morning, when my mother was not pleased that we had come home at midnight,(we were 18 years old) she had packed our bags , and told us to leave if we did not want to follow jehovah, we refused to leave because we said that it was our home, but evently we left,(after my sister completely cracked and fought back, not a nice story to tell) Then a few years back i went and visited my mom ( who is still a strict jw as ever) and she told me that they have discoverd that the "real" meaning "to not spare the rod" is infact just a guideline and that it is not literally meant to be physical. Well thank you mommy dearest for that enlightenment, I feel much..... much.... better now?! ( eyes rolling)

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I got hit hard once with his massive paws. My brothers got it a little more. From then on he used phychology to keep us in line. A look of displeasure was enough. I don't see my dad as a violent man he's all headwork. His brothers were a lot worse and a lot bigger.

• minimus
    minimus

To MAKE a little child sit perfectly still for hours is really inhumane.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Minimus has hit the proverbial nail on the head with the observation that expecting small children to sit quietly and still for hour-after-hour-after-boring-hour is inhumane!
    That - coupled with all their talk about "The Rod" - tends witness parents to overdo the corporal punishment bit:
    - I know that I did!
    (Of the many regrets that I have about having been one of Them, this is by far the worst).

Interestingly, my father resisted pressure from our JW grandmother to bring us up as witnesses, because he saw through this fallacy from the start.
    (Good on him for wising up to that one, silly b-g--r me for not.)

All I can say is no wonder that most JW children end up telling collectively:
    - their parents,
    - the elders,
    - the WTS,
    - Plus the Watch Tower Society's version of God; what to do with its religion!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit