Hello Abandoned. Sorry you had to go through this, but I think most people have at least one experience like this under their belt (including myself).
There's a lot of lessons that can be learned from an experience like this:
1) Don't stick your dink in the company ink
2) No gifts or poetry early in the relationship (it shows desperation)
3) Rebound relationships usually don't work
4) Avoid putting heavy emotional investment into a young relationship
5) There is no such thing as a "soulmate"
I'm going to expand on the whole "soulmate" idea. To conclude that there is ONE right woman in the world for you, and that this woman was her is rediculous if you put it in proportion. Think about it: there are BILLIONS of women in this world, and I doubt that you've dated even a small fraction of them. How could you possibly know that this is your "soulmate" or the only woman who was for you?
I bought into the whole soulmate idea when I was with my ex. Even though I'm married, I've abandoned this concept as it's quite rediculous. I now believe in having an "ideal mate", but not a soulmate.