Baptism question.....

by lavendar 21 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

Hi,

When a person gets close to being baptized, I understand he/she must go before the Elders to answer some questions? What exactly do the Elders ask the person??

Thanks for your help!

Lavendar

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Tell us in detail about your sexual experiences.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

BTW I just noticed that you are new to this board. Sorry I did not mean to offend.

UWUF

• lavendar
    lavendar

You're kidding, aren't you? I'm not a JW, but our son's wife has been pushing him to join for years now, and she's finally gotten him brainwashed into it. They really don't ask questions like that, do they??

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

*** Watchtower 1989 January 15 p.13 What Prevents You From Getting Baptized? ***

18 The Scriptures repeatedly mention the baptism of believers. (Acts 4:4; 5:14; 8:13; 16:27-34; 18:8; 19:1-7) To become one of Jehovah's Witnesses, then, a person must be a believer—one who exercises faith and gets baptized. Even before baptism, such faith manifests itself in godly conduct, trust in Jehovah, participation in the Kingdom-preaching work, and acceptance of Jesus' ransom sacrifice. Faith in the ransom is emphasized for baptismal candidates, for the first of two questions the speaker asks them is: "On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?" Only if the individual answers in the affirmative and also understands that his dedication and baptism identify him as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization can he acceptably undergo water immersion.

The questions may be slightly diferrent now,.... anyone??

• blondie
    blondie

Actually when they think you are ready, they will give you a small green book "Organizaed to Do Jehovah's Will." Approximately 150 questions will be in the back. They usually have 3 sessions with each "candidate" and if you are a woman, will be conducted by 2 elders (otherwise if it is a male "candidate" one elder is sufficient).

They can ask personal questions about your sex life to make sure you understand the JW interprentation of masturbation, oral sex, fornication, adultery. They will also ask if you are HIV or have AIDS. They don't let people with those things get baptized in the same water as healthy people.

Here is an PDF of that book:

Well, it keeps altering itself.

Just Google

"Organized to do Jehovah's Will"

and look for the PDF

• freetosee
    freetosee

THX blondie!

Strange! I cant get the hyperlink to work either...

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

WTF... People with HIV and Aids have to get dunked in a differnt pool???

Sence when can you get HIV or Aids from a pool???

• blondie
    blondie

*** g94 3/22 p. 15 Helping Those With AIDS ***

What should a person who knows he or she has AIDS do when he or she wants to become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and get baptized? Out of respect for the feelings of others, it may be wise for them to request a private baptism, although there is no evidence to suggest that AIDS has been transmitted in swimming pools. While many first-century Christians were baptized at large public gatherings, others were baptized in more private settings because of varying circumstances. (Acts 2:38-41; 8:34-38; 9:17, 18) Another alternative would be for the candidate with AIDS to be baptized last.

• lavendar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit