What is the real reason witnesses ceased phongraghs and radio broadcasts?

by Tyrone van leyen 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

It's funny they can't seem to make the connection between attacking others beleifs and getting attacked themselves. Maybe the society also realized that there longevity would be shortlived if they were to continue in this manner. Being reviled by the public at large and governments who have the power to shut them down. Instead they should have preached love instead of inciting hatred. They truly need there collective eyes opened.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

If that's the case Gary, then we might look upon the Rutherford era as a personality cult. A real shitty personality.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's funny they can't seem to make the connection

That's the whole story isn't it

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Check out my Golden Age Goodies thread....you'll find some rants from Rutherford against the Associated Press and the Radio Commission; Rutherford believed that radio existed primarily to facilitate his own broadcasts (which in fact he claimed were fulfilling Bible prophecy) and that efforts to pull him off the air on account of his hate propaganda were motivated by Satan the Devil.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I don't think the times we live in will ever allow such arrogance to overflow in a public way again. If there were such a person as Rutherford today would history repeat itself? Or could the society with a more humble attitude use the medium again more sucessfully? These of course is only speculative but they seem long overdue for some good publicity.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Leolaia's "Golden Age Goodies" begins at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/115448/1.ashx.

It's well worth a visit!

Frank

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Thanks! I was wondering how to find that.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Good question.

I remember as late as the 1960's hearing the Sunday public talk on the radio.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

pratt1,

You probably meant the 1950s. WBBR went off the air in 1957. In the 70s, New York City's WPIX-FM carried a Society program on Sunday mornings for several years. It had a 15-minute speech and a 15-minute interview of an elder or two at Bethel. Eventually a total of 360 stations carried the program in the US, Canada and two other countries, and I must say it was of high calibre, nothing like the hateful stuff put out by Rutherford. It was produced by Tim Galfas of the Gilead Office. The mello voice of Ulysses Glass introduced and closed each program.

On the other hand, you are probably right about the 1960s. I remember efforts wer made to get special talks broadcast by local stations, and probably this got some results here and there. I remember we were successful in getting stations to broadcast the Sunday public address at conventions, even some circuit assemblies, and if I remember right, that was done particularly in the 1950s and 60s.

Frank

• Honesty
    Honesty

Tyrone van Leyen:

Perhaps cults only seem appealing to those that are in them.

Good One !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit