BIG TOE INVALIDATES BAPTISM. :D

by vitty 20 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

Did anyone have to get dunked twice at their baptism because you still had your big toe sticking out of the water ????

Ive seen this happen a couple of times

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

I've never seen it but I've read that in order for baptism to be valid, the person's whole body - all the body parts - have to be submerged in the water or else it doesn't count and has to be re-done. Not sure what to think about it.

I mean, who will notice a big toe sticking out, other than the ones doing th baptism, unless the person getting baptized has a toe the size of an orange. lol

And isn't the point of getting baptized the person's dedication/desire to get baptized? I mean, I understand how submersion is a symbol or visible proof that such person wants to serve Jesus and God but so what if a toe is sticking out? It'll get wet anyway, eventually. And what if a hair sticks out? Does that invalidate the baptism?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i used to baptize....we would have someone watching to make sure it was full immersion...i had to do some twice

• Hannah
    Hannah

Yes, I've seen people have to be re-dunked a few times because of some body part still exposed during the initial dunk.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I find this very odd because when challenged about the formality of baptisms, the elders will reply stating that the water immersion is NOT what really counts since it only "symbolizes one's dedication to Jehover". They go on to explain the dedication occurs in the individual's heart before the baptism.

If this is true, then why all the fuss over big toes?

"baptism is the public declaration of a dedication that has already been made in prayer." (Watchtower, 1995 3/1 p. 13 par. 17 Dedicated—To Whom?)
  • pratt1
    pratt1

My cousin was dunked 4 times before it took.

He was very tall and the pool was very shallow.

It upset him a great deal, especially when some in the congo started saying that the "Holy Spirit" was saying that he wasn't ready.

He disassociated himself about 6 months later.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    It upset him a great deal, especially when some in the congo started saying that the "Holy Spirit" was saying that he wasn't ready.

words fail me

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I thought you were talking about the poster 'Big Toe'! I didn't think he would invalidate baptism!

Outaservice

• done4good
    done4good

If this is true, then why all the fuss over big toes?

It just the typical legalistic/neurotic jw mentality. No big surprise.

j

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It seems to me I remember in 1974 when we were lined up to get dunked someone was assigned to ask each candidate if this was their "first" baptism. Does anyone else remember this? Do they still do this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit