JWs in Field Service Today--Christmas.

by M.J. 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• erandir
    erandir

I have been a witness for a few years now. Even before I started thinking about leaving the organization, I'd always felt it was intrusive and "over the top", as you say, to go out in field service on holidays. I knew exactly how I'd feel if someone came to my door on my day off, during a family get-together, or especially at 9:30 or 10:00 in the morning! For an organization that harps on being balanced in all things, I think they put way too much emphasis on the ministry. No wonder we meet with opposition and apathy so much in the U.S. And also, there are plenty of other witnesses who feel the same way I felt.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sometime during the holidays the same JW`s will sit down to "Not A Christmas Turkey Dinner"...OUTLAW

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

When I was zealous for "the truth" I always went out on holidays. I recall the last Christmas I went out I was ALONE. Nobody from two Kingdom Halls (including the elders who kept telling us how this was a prime day to reach people at home) went out. Since I was working full-time, homeschooling and regular pioneering I recruited my mother (from 70 miles south) and we went out. I recall talking to some people whose mother was a JW (deceased) and who were all df'd - they were actually very nice to us while telling us to get lost. I suppose I would do the same now.

The hypocrisy of the elders was one that that always irritated me. Ours would rarely come out in service, and if they did they had previous arrangements (meaning probably that they went back home). Many many times I was alone in service with my young son.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks for the replies! Great stuff.

Good news. I spoke my mind to my wife about how I thought it was intrusive to do FS on Christmas morning...She of course plead her defense. But unexpectedly, when the time came on Christmas morning...she stayed home. I didn't bring it up again but I am surprised.

Skiing on Christmas. That's a great idea.

• steve2
    steve2
    But unexpectedly, when the time came on Christmas morning...she stayed home.

I can hear a loud and very terrible sound: It's all the previous presidents of the Watchtower spinning angrily in their graves: "We're so much closer now to the end and far too many brothers and sisters are too easily talked out of field service!"

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

To Steve2: I liked your comment. But I seem to recall that many or most of the GB (Golden Boys, Gestapo Bullies, etc. ) did not go out in service that often. No doubt they were too "important" and had books to write, whiskey to drink, and games to play (pin the tail on the donkey). At least they had enough players in one room since they were all qualified. I don't understand how they feel they're setting a good example. It's the same when elders give all those talks at the meeting, then don't show up on Sat./Sun. JW's are dumb in many areas, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist for the R & F to realize that some elders have skipped on home after passing out territory. They often had a "study" to take care of (as in study the donuts and which coffee to get at Dunkin' Donuts).

In the end, I don't see the public wanting JW's at their door on Christmas. Another funny one is New Year's Day. Instead of meeting at 9 am, they graciously make it 10 am. I'm sorry, but most people I know who celebrated till past midnight are not going to be ready to talk to JW's even an hour later than usual. The JW's should start at 3 pm if they want to be practical. But in any case, no one wants them there on their day off.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I certainly did... Every year between the early '60's until the mid 90's . It was certainly our "Christmas tradition". The people were in a good mood and so the Ministry was ok . We never looked to stay long at any one door.

Over the years though, the interest in the arrangement by the dubs waned considerably. The last time that I went, I was the only person to turn up to go out. I did not go on any calls . I turned my car and headed home. I do not know if they still do it locally.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

I have too agree it is intrusive and disrespectful. Who are JW's to bother someone at how doing a prictice thatJ-Dubs view as repulsive.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Skiing on Christmas. That's a great idea.

So is celebrating Christmas.

Being a person who is loved and respected by a witness, yet respectfully NOT being a witness, is probably the best witness of all!

CYP

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bttt.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit