JW Children Lie in Custody Cases

by compound complex 290 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Be careful they don't all say that they are going to be pioneers. Plans can be trade, getting married and having children, journalism, and all kinds of other things.

When does "careful coaching" of the witness cross over into intimidation?

Seriously, any child who is told to repeat this information has been illegally coached. The relationship that exists between the R&F (especially children) and the elder who will be "lovingly instructing" them is sufficiently one-sided to almost ensure perjury.

You just need to understand the arrangement to appreciate the enormity of the problem.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Carpenter,

No one is denying that for Witnesses their faith and theocratic activities are not of primary importance or that the goals of full-time service aren't what are emphasized in the literature or from the platform. That viewpoint is sure to be revealed by the JW parent themselves if not opposing counsel.

At issue in this thread is whether the CCB's statements are meant to foster deception or not.

IF the the CCB stated something like "Make sure that they don't say that their (the children's) faith is of primary importance" then in that case it would be contradictory to the Society's publications and JW culture and also it would be asking the children to deceive the court.

BUT THAT is clearly NOT what the CCB states:

"Be careful that they [JW children being questioned] don't get the impression that they are in a demonstration at the circuit assembly, when they would show that the first things in life are service and going to the Kingdom Hall. Show hobbies, crafts, social activity, sports, and especially plans for the future.

"Be careful they don't all say that they are going to be pioneers. Plans can be trade, getting married and having children, journalism, and all kinds of other things. Maybe you can show an interest in art and the theatre. They must be clean, moral, HONEST, but with interests you would expect from other young people." [CC: emphasis]

It can't be any more clearer that what is being told to counsel or the JW parent is to ensure that the child understands that they are to relate the whole story of what their interests are and what their plans are. In the vast majority of cases, this will not be full-time service and ALL JW children have "outside" interests which they can share with the court evaluators. This is not deception it is accuracy.

Of course, opposing counsel if they are savvy and prepared can reiterate the point that while JW children may have the other pursuits that the constant message and the most socially (among JWs) approved goals are that of full-time service.

I get that most lay persons don't understand the counsel and what the information is saying. Because this material is so easily misread, especially with those already holding a predisposition to do so, it is one of the reasons the CCB is available by request and not just a pamphlet widely distributed among JWs.

------

Children are rarely asked to give testimony directly to the court in child-custody disputes. Normally the court relies upon an examination conducted by professionals. These interviews are lengthy enough and the ones conducting them generally skilled enough that no amount of preparation would be able to hide the fundamentals about the child's views, goals, attitudes, etc.

-----

Every witness in a trial is prepared by counsel or some other expert. If counsel doesn't prepare their witness they are not doing their job. The difference between "coaching" which is unethical and prepping the witness is that with prepping the witness you familiarize them with the situation of giving testimony, review their direct examination and the likely cross examination questions and address other aspects of their testimony like body language and so forth. Coaching a witness is rehearsing a witness to the point where they are not giving their own testimony but answers that originate with someone else.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Hey Oro, why didn't you have a response for Moshe or Mary? Just curious...

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

The booklet implies NOT to "show that that the first things in life are service and going to the kingdom hall". (In other words, to HIDE this fact by conjuring up some hobby or interest that would put forth an APPEARANCE of balance and normality.)

It even has to give examples of what another hobby or interest might be. (Perhaps because JWs are too conditioned otherwise to even be able to think of one themselves?)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Most children don't have to be TOLD not to go into court like they are acting in a skit or KH talk/demo. Most know they are not supposed to present themselves as anything BUT themselves-who they really are. So one should not have to tell a child to act like a normal child. Being a normal child is not something that a person should need to be instructed in. They are not on trial-they have no reason to be anything but what they truly are and to state what they truly think. That the WT even HAS such suggestions tells me that they are fully aware that they are NOT just normal kids with normal activities and goals.

Again, I would like to re-iterate that most children have no reason to be anything BUT honest about themselves. THEY ARE NOT ON TRIAL, so why would ANY honest parent need to teach their child to present themselves as what they truly are? The fact is, they would need to be coached in normal. Cause they aren't.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Hi Abandoned,

Moshe's point didn't seem like it needed a specific reply from me. The point may be valid but the answer seems obvious doesn't it? I mean, the cases where a mainstream faith was an issue in child custody battles occurred only when one of the parents adopted a faith that is viewed very oppositionally, such as one parent becoming Jewish or Muslim, for example while the other parent remained mainstream. Otherwise, such mainstream faiths are rarely an issue. thus no need for a brochure by these religions for this issue. JWs have of course unique aspects of their religion, especially in the areas of holidays, blood or medical treatment, patriotism and civic instruction, shunning and socialization, which have served as targets for evaluating whether the religion or continued religious training would be detrimental in some way to the relationship between parent and child or in some cases, whether it might be detrimental to the child himself. Additionally, being a minority religion, even though fairly well known by reference by the judiciary and attorneys, JWs are poorly understood. So it is only natural that the Society would prepare some information which it believes to be helpful to JW parents facing child custody disputes.

As for Mary, when it is obvious that someone cannot be reasoned with it seems pointless to attempt it. Someone who begins their post stating that JWs are "religous fanatics" pretty much demonstrates that they have strong intractable opinions about them. Mary's post is full of blanket generalizations that are belied by the actual facts and experience of many Witnesses. She claims, for example, that Witness kids are not allowed to have normal social contact with non-Witness kids. It isn't clear what she would consider "normal" but it seems that anything short of full-blown acceptance and peer-to-peer relationships would be considered abnormal. Certainly, many Witnesses not only have normal (casual) acquaintances with non-Witness schoolmates, neighbors and workmates, but many of them have close non-Witness friends.

She cites a lot of her own first-hand observation and experiences and bases her assertions on these. I could also cite my own personal experience which in my case included having almost exclusively, close non-JW friends, participating in extracurricular activities in school, everything from Little League to Varsity Football to Prom and Homecomings, etc. to going to college pre-1995. But to extrapolate and make blanket generalizations based upon individual experiences is to commit a basic error in logical reasoning. I would submit that both Mary's and mine own experiences are atypical of most Jehovah's Witnesses.

As for her claim that "countless WT examples" show that Witness children can't have "normal interests" that is just stupid on the face of it. Pick up any Awake! magazine and you can read about various such activities, hobbies, and interests. Every Young People Ask article is practically about how it is fine for the person to have an interest in music, movies, literature and a thousand other things. Only for Mary if the Society adds counsel that warns about not being imbalanced in such things or avoiding such thngs that might be morally corrupting, apparently that makes it "abnormal."

Again it is just so stupid on its face. Very, very few Witnesses are all consumed with "theocratic things" or even "spiritual things." Such things may be all they discuss when it is "socially expected" like at the Kingdom Hall, etc. but take an Witness or two out for a bite or sit them down and you will find that they can tell you what is going on with their favorite sports team, what movies they want to see, what places they have travelled, what albums or artists they like, etc. etc. etc. And that is exactly the situation that the Child Custody Brochure is reminding the counsel or JW parent to do with the child -- to help them understand that in this situation of a child custody examination that they can feel free to talk about their OTHER interests. It is not a matter of hiding what is most important to them, their faith, nor is a mattter or trying to make them seem normal. JWs are not normal in many ways and can't be made to appear so. But neither are they abnormal in every way.

It is just so stupid to say that JWs HAVE to make up false interests or hobbies, etc. That is not what the Society is saying and it would be stupid to try and do. And in any case it is completely unnecessary as I have stated because all but maybe a handful of Witnesses have some non-JW activities, interests, hobbies, etc. The examples provided are only examples, not meant to be taken and used by persons if they are not really applicable. How silly!

As for the excerpts provided by Mary, every citation indicates a "balanced view" between theocratic pursuits and non-theocratic pursuits. For example one that she highlighted stated that "hobbies and other activities are not permitted to interfere with meeting nights." That obviously proves that one (the person referred to) DOES have hobbies and other activities. (Duh!) But Mary highlights it because she doesn't like that the Society advocates not letting such things interfere with the meetings. Similarly, Mary highlighted a quote which stated that a married couple put away "some" of their non-theocratic hobbies, etc. She ignores that it doesn't say "ALL" but only "some" of these activities.

Right or wrong, the Society's viewpoint has always been to place "kingdom pursuits" first, AND to enjoy non-theocratic living in a balanced and moderate way that doesn't interfere with that first priority.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

JWdaughter,

first of all the CCB is not for children specifically and the info in it is not somethng that they would be "told" or would read themselves. the CCB is/was prepared to provide the attorneys of JW parents with some useful advice and info. (I don't find it very useful myself but thats just my opinion.)

I really don't think as I just stated in my previous post, that ANYONE is claiming that JWs or JW children are "normal." Normal means by definition to fall within the majority of a population or to adhere to social convention. Given that the majority of persons are viewed as walking in unrighteousness, the heart of JW theology and culture strive to make clear that JWs should not be exactly like persons of the world.

But just because they are not Normal in many ways, they are not also ABNORMAL in EVERY WAY. The fact is that in many ways they ARE NORMAL. More specifically when it comes to the entire range of activity and interests that a JW child or teen has they probably spend more of their daily hours in what would be considered "normal" activities or pursuing normal interests than they do in the activities or interests that make them different from the majority population.

• Mary
    Mary
    Eduardo droned: As for Mary, when it is obvious that someone cannot be reasoned with it seems pointless to attempt it. Someone who begins their post stating that JWs are "religous fanatics" pretty much demonstrates that they have strong intractable opinions about them.

Riiight. Because we all know that Witnesses are really balanced in their viewpoints regarding religion, worldly people, doctrine and all other aspects of life. How foolish and unreasonable of me to assert that Witnesses are viewed as "religious fanatics" just because they hang on every utterance that spews forth out of Bethel, let their children die rather than take a blood transfusion, and will go to the ends of the earth to be viewed as "different" than any other religion.

Mary's post is full of blanket generalizations that are belied by the actual facts and experience of many Witnesses.

Eduardo, obviously my statements are generalized. I'm well aware that there are some Witnesses who allow their kids to have worldly friends and even some who let their children go on to university. I applaud them. But the majority of Witnesses are not like that and you and I know it.

She claims, for example, that Witness kids are not allowed to have normal social contact with non-Witness kids. It isn't clear what she would consider "normal"

Oh let's see.....I would consider being allowed to go over to a worldly friends' house after school, or have a sleep over, or even going to a school dance as "normal". I would also include being allowed to participate in activities like school plays for Christmas, or exchanging Valentines cards with your classmates, going rollerskating, to a movie or even shopping as "normal" activities. Most Witness kids are not allowed to do any of the above; proof that they are not allowed to have normal association with their peers outside of the religion.

Certainly, many Witnesses not only have normal (casual) acquaintances with non-Witness schoolmates, neighbors and workmates, but many of them have close non-Witness friends.

As I said, I applaud those that do, but that is not the norm in Dubdumb land. There are countless talks and articles, (as I provided) which so strongly discourages non-necessary contact with "worldly" people, that any Witness that ignores this council, is viewed as either being "weak in the truth", or not "listening to the council provided by the F&DS."

As for her claim that "countless WT examples" show that Witness children can't have "normal interests" that is just stupid on the face of it. Pick up any Awake! magazine and you can read about various such activities, hobbies, and interests. Every Young People Ask article is practically about how it is fine for the person to have an interest in music, movies, literature and a thousand other things. Only for Mary if the Society adds counsel that warns about not being imbalanced in such things or avoiding such thngs that might be morally corrupting, apparently that makes it "abnormal."

And what do they consider "imbalanced" Eduardo? As I demonstrated, if your hobbies or interest interfere with any of the man made regulations, such as 5 meetings a week, preparing for them, Service, personal study, the assemblies, then you can kiss your hobby goodbye. And what happens if you decide you want to pursue a sport as something more than just a hobby like my brother did? You know full well that that is NOT acceptable in this cult and they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks if you wish to pursue such a course.

And that is exactly the situation that the Child Custody Brochure is reminding the counsel or JW parent to do with the child -- to help them understand that in this situation of a child custody examination that they can feel free to talk about their OTHER interests. It is not a matter of hiding what is most important to them, their faith, nor is a mattter or trying to make them seem normal. JWs are not normal in many ways and can't be made to appear so. But neither are they abnormal in every way.

I agree that they are not abnormal in every way, but as you yourself said, they are not "normal in many ways and can't be made to appear so." But that is exactly what they're attempting to do by encouraging the children to minimize the bizarre unwritten rules of the religion and emphasize things that the Organization either strongly discourages or minimizes. That,sir, is called 'deception'.

For example one that she highlighted stated that "hobbies and other activities are not permitted to interfere with meeting nights." That obviously proves that one (the person referred to) DOES have hobbies and other activities. (Duh!) But Mary highlights it because she doesn't like that the Society advocates not letting such things interfere with the meetings. Similarly, Mary highlighted a quote which stated that a married couple put away "some" of their non-theocratic hobbies, etc. She ignores that it doesn't say "ALL" but only "some" of these activities.

In case you're too thick to understand why I quoted this, it's because the religion already takes up an enormous amount of a person's life each and every week. It's not just a matter of 5 hours of meetings. There's the preparation for it, getting ready for the meetings etc. Then there's Service and preparation for that, plus your family study and any talks you might have to prepare for on top of all that. On a Tuesday night for example, your evening is taken up from at least 6:00pm - 10:00pm when you factor in getting ready, preparing for it, travel time etc. When you include the bookstudy, the Sunday meeting, Saturday morning field service, and everything else, you're looking at anywhere from 14 - 20 hours a week doing activities that are considered mandatory, not optional, by the Society. This is an enormous amount of time, especially as the average church only requires at the most, 1 or 2 hours on a Sunday. And if you work full time, the strain is even worse. Therefore, for the GB to even suggest that any hobbies or interests you have might have to be shelved or severely limited if they're interfering with "meeting attendence" or "service", just goes to show that they are not "balanced" in their views of the R&F pursuing outside interests or hobbies, not the other way around.

IF the the CCB stated something like "Make sure that they don't say that their (the children's) faith is of primary importance" then in that case it would be contradictory to the Society's publications and JW culture and also it would be asking the children to deceive the court. BUT THAT is clearly NOT what the CCB states:

IF the the CCB stated something like "Make sure that they don't say that their (the children's) faith is of primary importance" then in that case it would be contradictory to the Society's publications and JW culture and also it would be asking the children to deceive the court.

BUT THAT is clearly NOT what the CCB states:

"Be careful that they [JW children being questioned] don't get the impression that they are in a demonstration at the circuit assembly, when they would show that the first things in life are service and going to the Kingdom Hall. Show hobbies, crafts, social activity, sports, and especially plans for the future.

"Be careful they don't all say that they are going to be pioneers. Plans can be trade, getting married and having children, journalism, and all kinds of other things. Maybe you can show an interest in art and the theatre. They must be clean, moral, HONEST, but with interests you would expect from other young people." [CC: emphasis]

It can't be any more clearer that what is being told to counsel or the JW parent is to ensure that the child understands that they are to relate the whole story of what their interests are and what their plans are.

No Eduardo, it can't be any more clear that you're nearly as bad at the GB for twisting words. I can't believe you actually wrote this statement in light of the fact that this is exactly what they're saying as is demonstrated by their own words:

You said: IF the the CCB stated something like "Make sure that they don't say that their (the children's) faith is of primary importance" then in that case it would be contradictory to the Society's publications and JW culture and also it would be asking the children to deceive the court.

There is no difference in what you stated above that would be deceptive and what they are actually saying. "their faith is of primary importance" is no different that "the first things in life are service and going to the KH". Apparently, you are the only one who can't see that.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw
    Certainly, many Witnesses not only have normal (casual) acquaintances with non-Witness schoolmates, neighbors and workmates, but many of them have close non-Witness friends.

Eduardo, this statement alone is a farce and you know it. I lived the "truth" for 40 yrs and I can tell you first hand that having a "close" friend with a "worldly" person is strongly discouraged in the Tower. How many times did I hear that scripture that says " friendship with the world is enmity with God". You are living in denial if you cant see the roses.

The Claw.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Edwardo:

Okay, I don't mind calling a spade a spade. Edwardo... you are lying. It's obvious to everyone that you are a Witness attempting to appear as though you had been freed from the Watchtower.

Witnesses do not even as much as have dinner on a regular basis with a neighbor or work mate. I remember when I was forced, by my parents, to stop association with the kids in the neighborhood when I was about 9-10 years old. I remember accepting a ride home with some kids in high school. As we were pulling into my subdivision my father was pulling out. In fear, I slid down as low as possible in the seat. I knew I wasn't suppose to be with "them".

Now above, I said, "dinner on a regular basis " because I did, once, had dinner with a non-witness workmate. But his wife was studying with the bosses wife. I went in a suite and viewed it as a witnessing opportunty. NOT as a NORMAL and CASUAL dinner.

What congo do you go to?

Bryan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit