Root of all Evil
    Part 1
    Part 2

Interesting documentary

ackack

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

From Wikipedia:

"The Root of All Evil? is a television documentary, written and presented by Richard Dawkins, in which he argues that the world would be better off without religion. The documentary was first broadcast in January 2006, in the form of two 45 minute episodes (excluding advertisement breaks), on Channel 4 in the UK. Dawkins has said that the title "The Root of All Evil?" was not his preferred choice, but that Channel 4 had insisted on it to create controversy.[1] His sole concession from the producers on the title was the addition of the question mark. Dawkins has stated that the notion of anything being the root of all evil is ridiculous.[2] Dawkins' book The God Delusion, released in September 2006, goes on to examine the topics raised in the documentary in greater detail."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Root_of_All_Evil%3F

• TopHat
    TopHat

I happen to agree with Dawkins on his views of "religion" However I still believe there has to be a "Creator", of all that is living including Universe.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I watched the programmes when screened in the UK. I felt that he picked the most extreme examples of religion , to make it look ridiculous. The programme would have been very different had he picked the kind of church, synagogue or mosque that most believers go to.

He seems to me to be as entrenched and fundamental to his atheism as the most die hard J W is to their beliefs..

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I love Dawkins and want to have his babies. This guy just shits it like it is and doesn't give a damn about the consequences. You gotta respect a guy like that.

GBL

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"I love Dawkins and want to have his babies."

You and me both! He's one sexy little scientist!

tall penguin

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Dawkins is the same religion as me. He goes to the church of common sense and logic is his god. I sure hope science comes up with a cure for fundamentalists. Maybe a memory wipe and then a strong injection of truth through a wet tap. If their is a future or hope for humanity it will be from great minds like this. We should create Utopia in the here and now, instead of the holy mollies waiting for god to do it.

• TheScarletPimpernel
    TheScarletPimpernel

BluesBrother, you're mistaking belief for faith. Faith, by its very nature, doesn't require evidence, and allows one to ignore any evidence that doesn't support it and collect any evidence that does. Belief is different.

I, like most everyone on the planet believe that Australia is south of the Equator, but should we be given conclusive evidence to the contrary, we would change said belief.

Dawkins holds certain beliefs about the nature of the universe and humanity, but these are based on current evidence. Should the evidence change--and he himself admits it will likely change to some degree in the future as science progresses--he, along with all other rationalists will change their beliefs accordingly.

Fundamentalists will maintain that God created the Universe no matter what evidence might come in the future.

Passionate atheists are not fundamentalists.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In my life I've had a few heros. Isaac Asimov was the first - not for his fiction, but for his non-fiction. Carl Sagan was the next. He was a great debunker and advocate of common sense. I miss them both.

The next was Richard Dawkins. I am pleased that he has not only taken up the mantle of the other two, but is even more outspoken.

By the way, his documentary seems to be along the same lines as my article "It Brings Bad Things to Life". I wonder if he's beeen plagierizing me. I mean, as an atheist, he obviously must have no morals.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

RunningMan said, "...as an atheist, he obviously must have no morals."

I suspect you held your tongue in your cheek as you wrote that, didn't you? Because if morality is the domain of the religious, humanity is doomed.

I believe rational non-god-based morality is possible. It is what I do.

Otherwise, I am in complete agreement with you, RunningMan, and with all the others so far who have expressed an appreciation of Dawkin's "ministry."

Our understanding of how memes take up residence in the mind is only beginning, but if the meme::virus anaolgy holds, eventually we will find a cure.

Solstice holiday greetings to all my friends, theist or otherwise. We each want a better world. May the coming year be a better one for each of you!

- Nathan Natas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit