Dawkin's Documentary, Root of all Evil

by ackack 17 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BluesBrother:

I watched the programmes when screened in the UK. I felt that he picked the most extreme examples of religion , to make it look ridiculous. The programme would have been very different had he picked the kind of church, synagogue or mosque that most believers go to.

He spoke to a moderate church of England bishop who was quite happy to have two different standards of belief. It would have been a rather dull and pointless programme had he limited himself to such mundane wishy-washy beliefs. The show was largely about the rise of fundamentalism, and that was the area he concentrated on.

He seems to me to be as entrenched and fundamental to his atheism as the most die hard J W is to their beliefs.

That's an easy mistake to make. People often mistake reason for just another belief system, and think that someone who demands that beliefs be based on evidence is just as fundamentalist as someone who demands that beliefs be based on the Koran. Of course, that's not the case at all. A commitment to reason allows one to change their beliefs as more evidence becomes available. I have no doubt that Dawkins would believe in a god if there were any evidence, as would I. In the absence of such evidence, I for one am glad that there is someone going around pointing out the folly of believing unproven nonsense.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yeah - Asimov, Sagan, Dawkins and add Sam Harris on there as well. More and more we're able to be outspoken about this.

But, there is a price. Below is a letter my paper got in response to an article I wrote for several papers where I mentioned the debates about the origins of Christianity, Also included is my response to the letter. The semi-threats were a bit disturbing. I know why Sam Harris keeps his home address secret!

Editor, The Message,
    I have never written to any newspaper in the letter section.
    I often love to read letters sent in by my neighbors near and far.
    Some letters are thank you letters. Some are political.
    Some make announcements. Some offer criticism of local leaders, of government and schools.
    However, this letter is not about anything so easy as advice or criticism.
    Today I am writing to let you know just how offended I am about the references as to the origins of Christianity as being in the same kind of writing as in a Greek myth (“Origins of Christianity & Christmas Foods” Dec. 13-19 Message).
    Jesus was born, lived, and died on a cross. This is not a myth, but is an historical fact.
    As you well know, believers will tell you Jesus died for the sins of man. To reconcile man to our God. Complete forgiveness. Total. Forever. No take backs on the promise. A once and for all done deal.
    I dare you! No, double dare you to write such a piece about Islam in the Middle East or Europe. Call the origins of Mohammad a Greek myth and tomorrow some fanatic will be more than happy to kill you and your family. Also all your known relatives.
    Do you think that Christians are such easy prey. Because we won't kill you for your blasphemy, you have license to write such blatant lies about our faith? Or our faiths origins.
    I think not.
    Your paper owes me and every other Christian reader a front page apology for your arrogant disregard for our faith in God’s son Jesus. Especially at the time we celebrate his birth.
    As to the rest of your article on Santa,the tree or any other part of commercial Christmas I do not take issue.
    However, since I am pretty sure you will not apologize, I need to tell you one more thing.
    Us ignorant, gentle, nonmurdering pagan Greek mythology Christians will, because of Jesus, forgive you anyway.

BMS,
    Springfield

Editor’s Note:
    I at one time shared Mr. S’s beliefs about the origins of Christianity. In fact, it is one of the main points of the documentary film, The God Who Wasn’t There, which I referenced in the article he is concerned with, that most contemporary Christians have almost no knowledge of what scholars have discovered about the historical origins of the religion. That was my own situation until I researched that field.
    My article was simply intended to present some of the leading, and admittedly controversial, findings of historians and scholars regarding the origin of Christmas customs, foods and Christianity itself.
    For anyone interested in the research I did for the article, I’d recommend the above-mentioned film; Elaine Pagels’ The Gnostic Gospels, a study by a leading scholar of 52 early Christian writings known as the Nag Hammadi Library; Episcopal Bishop John Shelby Spong’s Liberating the Gospels; Earl Doherty’s The Jesus Question; Kenneth C. Davis’ recent bestseller Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned, a discussion of the lastest Biblical research written for the general public; and, to show that this scholarship has been around for some time, I’d recommend the third volume of Will Durant’s highly regarded, The Story of Civilization, published in 1944.

Seeker4, Editor

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Oh yeah, I forgot - Happy Solstice!

S4

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I hereby declare a Fatwa on Seeker4.

And, I am deeply offended that people believe atheism cannot be fundamentalist. I have long declared that I am an orthodox fundamentalist atheist. If God himself comes to earth and taps me on the shoulder, I will still not believe in him.

• aniron
    aniron
    The Root of All Evil? is a television documentary, written and presented by Richard Dawkins, in which he argues that the world would be better off without religion

Would it?

Does he mean "religion" or belief ?

• Norm
    Norm

There is no God and I am his prophet.

Norm

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Took my Christmas weekend to listen to both of Dawkins' documentaries. This is great, great stuff.

I also read an essay the other day which talked about how it's becoming a bit more acceptable to be outspoken in your atheism and one of the examples given was that the TV series House has a brilliant, rationalist atheist as it's central character.

Maybe there is a little hope, though I at times worry that the US is entering a new dark ages. Maybe once we get all the fundamentalists out of the White House, we can start a return to reason.

I thought it was ironic that Evangelist Haggerty (sp??), that arrogant little prick that threw Dawkins and crew off this multi-million dollar Colorado Springs church property, is the same one that at that very time was paying for sex with a gay, male prostitute whom he was also getting to supply him with meth. Oh, but he "threw the meth away, 'cause he knew it was wrong." Yeah, sure.

S4

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

Running man ; probably feel the same as you , but if God did tap me on the shoulder I'd have a beer with him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit