Christmas Dinner...some Ideas please!

by restrangled 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

What about goose - I heard that the fat is also apparently one of the healthiest varieties available

Or a salmon dish maybe?

Whatever you have, enjoy and I hope all goes to plan!!

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Lasagna sounds wonderful! Very filling and family-dinner-ish.

One meal I like to make for family and friends that everyone seems to agree on is make-your-own tacos. Which is great because all the fixings can be prepared the day before. Chop up everything you can think of that could possibly go on a taco along with meat and beans, guacamole, sour cream, taco sauce and salsa and put it all out buffet style for people to put together their own plates. Or even taco salads if they prefer. You can also throw in flour tortillas for burrito lovers. (If people are hanging around for awhile afterwards a bottle of Beano would probably be a good investment too)

Great, it's 1am here and now I'm hungry...

• Clam
    Clam

Seafood Lasagne is good and different. http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/8461/lfdimare.htm

How popular is buffalo meat over there in the Americas? I read this the other day -

Buffalo Meat is Extremely Healthy!Buffalo meat is naturally flavorful and healthy, in fact if you didn't know, you would think you were eating the most flavorful Beef steak or burger you have ever had. It's hard to believe, but Buffalo has less fat than Turkey and even Chicken with the skin removed. Buffalo are handled very little, this enhances the quality of the meat. They spend their lives grazing on natural grasses (just as they always have). There are never Antibiotics, Steroids or Growth Hormones used in the Buffalo industry. There has never been an allergic reaction to Buffalo meat because of the natural way the animals are handled and fed. People who can not eat other red meat normally have no problem with Buffalo or Elk meat. Why not try for yourself and begin realizing the fantastic benefits of Buffalo and Elk for yourself.

• vitty
    vitty

Im sorry if im hijacking this thread but what sauce would you use with ham.

I have a visitor comming and they dont like gravy Im making a roast dinner and having ham instead of turkey any ideas??

• blondie
    blondie

Every culture is different. My German family always served goose, but I can't stand it. My husband's family prefers turkey or ham. Lasagna sounds good.

Blondie

• carla
    carla

Depending on how well the year went and number of guests my mom would sometimes serve a prime rib, or pork tenderloin, a rare beef roast, or both beef & pork roast together makes a good gravy. Twice baked potatoes can be made and frozen if you want an easy side dish or leave that to the guests. Another idea would be to make it later in the afternoon or eve and serve all appetizers and finger foods. Merry Christmas!

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

My mom hates to make turkey so we get all kinds of interesting items. Lately,her favourite is Beef Wellington (beef wrapped in pate and pastry served with gravy and mushrooms, roast potatoes or mashed....yum! She will also do a chicken dish, curried chicked with rice or chicken in a white sauce served with rice or voll-au-vent cases...then my sister in law is a gourmet cook, so she has served delicious salads and potato dishes. One year she made a pumpkin soup (roasted with garlic and onions, it was delicious) served with cream...We had chinese one year from a place that came to your driveway and cooked there: "Wok on Wheels". Talk about fresh and delicious, but also very pricey! So there are lots of ideas out there, but my farm raised husband still looks forward to a turkey dinner--we have had 4 already with 2 more to go!

But apart from the food, we focus on family and faith, and the "reason for the season". Good times and wonderful memories I wish these for you who are starting new traditions outside of the WT.

Happy cooking and warm dishes,

ts

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks everyone!

Lots of good ideas out there. I like the sound of fill it yourself tacos. A lot less work!

For the person asking about a sauce for Ham. I usually serve a cherry sauce, you can make it as sweet or tart as you want. Or you can buy ham "base" at the store and make a gravy out of that.

r.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Ham: can be also be served with a sweet pineapple sauce, white milk gravy with pepper (good with biscuits and mashed potatoes) or a sweet honey mustard sauce.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Try this for some great holiday ideas for recipes

Food in Due Season - The JWD Holiday Cookbook

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit