Stupid things you thought as a JW

by JWdaughter 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Ok growing up JW, I was clueless about how 'the world' worked. I had some weird ideas that took a long time to dispell. One that I got fairly quickly, and embarassingly was when at school, after Easter Vacation (still was that, then!) our teacher started talking about 'Memorial Day' and what the meaning of it was. Well, I was usually smart, but was having a stupid JW moment then, as easter that year was before 'the memorial'. Therefore my teacher and classmates got a nice little lecture about the 'Memorial' and all its many trivialities, conditions, and why we didn't drink the wine! Apparently, they were speaking of our next 3 day weekend, right before the end of school. OOPS. My face was red. This was 2nd-4th grade, not sure, but I was mortified.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

yeah, stuff like that has happened to me before, too! Best just to laugh it off as best you can.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

The list could be very long. Where to begin...

I thought only people who took the magazines were "sheep like ones." (yeah, I know, stupid to think that.)

I bought the idea that celebrating birthdays and observing Monther's day was equivalent to "creature worship" (This is even more stupid.)

I thought the only grounds for divorce was that my JDub husband was committing adultery with two witnesses present. ( This tops them all. I'll stop here.)

YC

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

That only JW's would get life and that you had to do all the things witnesses said to be acceptable to Jah.

• TheHypnoToad
    TheHypnoToad

That the Faithful and Discrete Slave was the "JW Governing Body".

That the only reason I had doubts about JW's since I was very young was because I didn't have enough "Faith".

TheHypnoToad don't sign no post!

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

That if I didn't undertsand a teaching, it was because I'm too stupid to understand its amazing deepness.

That I had to go tell on myself to the elders and subsequently get disfellowshipped for things that everyone else in the congregation was doing too.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I thought only people who took the magazines were "sheep like ones." (yeah, I know, stupid to think that.)

Half your luck - I can't get any magazines off them now!

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder
    That if I didn't undertsand a teaching, it was because I'm too stupid to understand its amazing deepness.

So true. I remember feeling I had to hide my "secular" books about anything from philosophy to religion to science, if ever a Witness came over. I remember thinking that study articles didn't make sense simply because I hadn't cross-referenced enough scriptures. I remember believing "the wisdom of the world is foolishness with God" meant everybody (including me) was an idiot but the Governing Body. Oh boy... these memories are making me feel woozy....

FBF

• exwitless
    exwitless

Wouldn't buy Lucky Charms cereal!

• Quandary
    Quandary

That the "End" would surely come before I graduated grammar school, then before I graduated High School, then before I was 30 and most assuredly before the year 2000! How naive can one be?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit