Stupid things you thought as a JW

by JWdaughter 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

My father was a Naturopathic physician, so we ate differently than a lot of people. I didn't drink milk, and some foods were taboo for us, healthwise.

As a child, I thought it was all wrapped up in the same package, being a JW. So, when I ate at a JW friend's house, and milk was on the table, I was horrified.

I know............very silly.

When I bought games for my family, I would black out the words, "Luck" and something else. Can't remember.

When I had my first baby in 1963, I was sure he would never go to school. Why did I think that? Duh! Now he has a 12 year old son in 6th grade.

I thought I would never get older than 30 since I was turning 30 years old in 1975.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I thought I'd never die.

Stupid.

GGG

• anewme
    anewme

This is true! I believed that everything I did good and everything I did bad was being tallied in heaven.
    If I was on time to the Kingdom Hall, I was in favor with Jehovah and the angels.
    If I was late, I was on shaky ground.
    If I gossiped about someone or in some other way sinned with my lips, I had to make it up somehow in order to erase the sin.
    I was on edge all the time even in my own home to do the right thing at all times because Jehovah was watching and keeping score.
    If there were only two items for sale on a shelf and I bought both I felt guilty of the sin of materialism. I always left some for others.
    I wore rather shabby used clothes as a statement of non materialism.

The list of nonsense burdens I added to my life on top of the Watchtower ones is endless and ridiculous and sad that I spent so much time trying to be perfect and flawless but of course I believe now that the loving creator does not require it.

Anewme (much more relaxed now)

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

That my children would never grow up in this system, or ever be a teenager. (oldest one left for college last month)

That I was never worthy. That I didn't have the "right heart attitude" and my children would all die in armagedon.

All of my friends from school would die. If I was a better dub, I would get them to the kh, and save their life.

Afraid of what was on the radio in my car. What if I was listening to a wrong song, the big A came, and god would kill me.

Thinking too much about death, and who would make it, and who wouldn't.

• C_of_Tranquility
    C_of_Tranquility

I personally never thought i was going to make it to adulthood and my mother would never buy proctor-gamble products because it had a logo of the moon and stars.

• choosing life
    choosing life

That I would live forever in a physical body without ever having to worry about old age or death. That my child would never have to start school. Now his daughter is ten.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the other stuff I didn't really go along with. I just put up with it to get out of old age and death. I didn't believe in hellfire or going to war. If it wasn't for these things and my husband, I would never have gotten involved.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I remember going out in field service and being concerned about how many people may be getting their last chance for life from my preaching.

I remember how scared I was when I was in the army and studying with the jw. They convinced me that just by being there I was putting jehovah to the test. I had to tesign airborne status because I was surely putting jehovah to the test by jumping out of airplanes. Something that bothered me about this at the time was the couple we were studying with. The lady was a pioneer (she pretty much ran the study although the hubby prayed) and her husband was an elder. He had been in the military for thirty years and although he started studying way before he got out of the military, he stayed in the full thirty to maximize his retirement. On the one hand they were telling us to get out right away, but then he stayed in to get more money. And it did cost me as I had to waive my $30,000 in college money to get out as a conscientious objector.

• Momofmany
    Momofmany
    my mother would never buy proctor-gamble products because it had a logo of the moon and stars.

I forgot all about that. I think since I've left, my imagination has shrunk a little.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Hi Abandoned, you could go back in if health allows and get your goodies from Uncle Sam. My husband re-enlisted in the guard at 44. He is now in AF Reserves. Just a thought if you are interested. They would retrain you (maybe get a better job skill or something, plus a place to live and decent pay for the months they train you). It helped us a lot when he wa unemployed for 2+ years. Right after he got back from 5 mos training, he got another job(not So great) that kept us until he was rehired at his good job. We are getting back on our feet now and I think that was the boost that did it for us. Of course, the AF is a lot safer place to serve these days than the Army. Change branches. Easier when you are in reserves anyway.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I watched a National Geographic show on cable tonight about the Bible. It had a piece about Abraham getting ready to kill his son because Jehovah told him to. . . . It reminded me that as a child hearing that story I thought my father would kill me too if Jehovah told him to. He was just a faithful as Abraham. (Another unpleasant childhood memory returns.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit