Scientist I Interviewed on Evolution, the Bible, & Climate Change

by Seeker4 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I'm a firm believer in the checks and balances that this planet has - glaciation would reflect sunlight, increased CO2 should increase plankton which will absorb it and sink to the ocean bottom, increased water vapour in the air will (if it forms the right clouds) increase the albebo. One mega volcano will cool the earth climate tremendously (in the short term). As far as I'm aware we are too late to worry about the greenhouse gases - the horse has already bolted however, we can clean up our pollution of the environment. We have two super economies about to dwarf western emissions - we already failed IF our CO2 emissions are responsible for global warming which I doubt.

• skyking
    skyking
    Maybe we shouldn't stick our head in the sands of denial until we've got 100% proof except that it's really too late to do something,

Yap that is what is going to happen and when we have 100% proof it will be to late to stop it.

Good post seeker4 don't let the neigh sayers bother you. You know your right.

Like I have posted in the past there are a lot of factors that have to be weighed in, But it is stupid not to take action NOW!!! there is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

HS wrote: If you were really serious about this issue you would parachute naked from low flying aeroplanes holding large signs and shrieking at the complacent Saturday afternoon shoppers. Shame on you.

Hilary:

Been there, done that. The naked parachuting wears thin after a while. People get used to it, and you just end up naked in a crowd of shoppers when you land, and feeling like a fool trying to hide behind your sign and wishing you'd made it larger.

Kudra,

I'll post a link to the full article when the mag comes out and we post it on the website the first of January.

Skyking,

Good to hear from you, and thanks for the support. Better to act than to wish we had.

S4

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

"That’s why creation science has been thrown out in the courts, because it doesn’t follow the scientific approach. Creation science has a priori ideas"

You cannot test so many things "scientifically" is what so many people forget. Based on Scientific evidence, how does one determine or measure love for another person for instance?

I don't want to live in a world where the only measure of truth is the conclusions of scientific method. How dull.

I like philosophy too much :) So many things can be explored "a priori" (without experience). Immanuel Kants 'Logic' & 'Critique of Pure Reason'

The scientific community harrases those who don't fall in with the evolutionary party line anyways. They are as dogmatic about it as any fundy religion.

Better not question them if you are a scientist or propose a differing point of view.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

S4,

Very interesting. Can't wait to read the full article. Does he have any potential solutions? Seems to me that until governments get enough pressure to get serious about CO2 emissons, things are going to get worse. I've got to believe there are other ways to generate the energy we need without oil. There just doesn't seem to be enough money going into alternative fuels.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Smellsgood,

You may be missing the point. When did anyone say that the scientific method would be the only measure of truth? And a world of science wouold be dull. This is one other point Wessels made in the interview: "If you reject all the science and take the literalist point of view, what you get is a world out here that really isn’t all that interesting. When we start to understand scientifically how this thing functions, how incredibly complex it is, it’s mind-boggling."

When he was speaking of creation science, what he was stating is that it's not science because it starts with the conclusion it wants to prove, and then only uses what it can come up with that supports that view and tosses all other evidence out. It's what the Watchtower Society has done forever. That's not science, and it's certainly not logic or reason.

Since when did exploring and trying to understand things become dull? You speak of logic and reason - they are the very basis of science.You write of a love for philosophy, which is essentially science's main companion. They all are based on learning to think clearly.

I'm not sure what you think of when you think of science, maybe lab coats and mice in a maze, but that's not what I see. Tom Wessels has a book out called Reading the Forested Landscape. You might enjoy that. I've taken a hike through a forest with Wessels and a group of people. When you do, you realize you've been walking blind much of your life. What he sees that most of us don't boggles the mind.

And if you had compelling evidence that evolution was wrong, you'd become a GOD in the scientific community. You see, there's a reason why the scientific community is so rough on the anti-evolution viewpoint - it has no logical foundation, no basis in reason, no supporting facts. Einstein put up with some shit for his ideas early on - but there's a reason why they won out. And there's a reason why evolution has become the dominant theory of science. It explains things in a way that fits the observable, falsifiable facts. If you have a better theory, a better explanation, than out with it! You'll be one of the greatest people of this century, for sure!

Doubting Bro - He has some solutions, and they actually include things that I'm sure Smellsgood would love. They are in the longer interview, and more detailed in the book.

Good to hear from you all.

S4

• one
    one

faith and miracles is the answer from crationists and similar species, so the window is still needed to throw science out of the house of discussion.

on the other hand, comparing with decades ago, I personally see less trees and more ICE vehicles but feeling the heat, no question

who said EXXOM?, anyway "neccesity is the mother of all inventions" and patents

the re-invented electric car is coming back after 100 years in the garage, parked inthere after they found oil in texas long ago, (did you hear about the 60mph in 4 seconds electric car) you can order one NOW, AND

dont forget that a improvised hydrogen economy will make possible, IN THE SHORT RUN, that your "old" present ICE cars fun on water, LITERALLY,

of course EXXOM and CHEVRON don't want you to know tthat you can do it NOW, after all electrolysis (a do it yourself project) is all need to produce hydrogen.

geopolitics shape every thing, but the thing is that europe is "united" and the united ststes is not united to the rest of the world, even south america is following the euopean union paradigm, who are next?,

hey everyone is getting united, no choice, without the so called kingdom and the WT

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

One, you been drinking? ;)

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit