Scientist I Interviewed on Evolution, the Bible, & Climate Change

by Seeker4 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I’ve got some interesting quotes about global climate change, evolution and the Bible from a well-known scientist I interviewed last week. Thought some here would enjoy these, as these are issues we often debate on JWD. I’m doing an article for a magazine about scientist Tom Wessels and his new book, The Myth of Progress. When the magazine comes out in January, the full text of the article will be online and I’ll post a link to it then. I had an interesting discussion with him about the Witnesses and "Watchtower science" as well.

But in the meantime, here are some quotes taken directly from the article:

Wessels is an ecologist, a professor at Antioch University of New England in Keene, NH, where he has been with the Department of Environmental Studies since 1978. He founded the graduate school’ s Master’s degree program in Conservation Biology . He has a strong background in geology and evolutionary ecology, with an undergraduate degree in wildlife biology from the University of New Hampshire. His graduate work was in plant ecology at the University of Colorado. Over the past decade he has written three other books, Untamed Vermont, which he wrote with photographer A. Blake Gardner, The Granite Landscape, and in 1997, the still popular Reading the Forested Landscape: A Natural History of New England.

When asked about the critics of climate change, those who say there is not enough data over a long enough period to know if we’re experiencing real climate change at least in part because of human activity, Wessels has no hesitation in his answer.

"There’s not one research climatologist who says that. Not one. You’ll hear that from the non-scientific community and you’ll hear that from people who have an ideological point of view, but the science (about global climate change) gets stronger all the time. There’s really not a debate in the scientific community at all that this is happening, or that humans are responsible for it. The debate is shifting to what is going to be the degree of change and what is the change going to look like regionally. We know that the change is going to be much more dramatic the higher in latitude you go. We’re already seeing that."

I also asked Wessels his view as a scientist of the attempts in many places across the country to bring creationism and intelligent design into science classrooms, views inspired by a literal or fundamentalist view of the creation account in the Christian Bible. He made it clear that there is absolutely no doubt about the fact of evolution in the scientific community.

"Science has a very clear format," he explained. "You look at evidence or you make observations, and then you generate an educated guess. Then you test it in the most objective way you can. The idea of evolution has been tested so many times and the evidence always comes back saying that that is the best explanation that we can come up with from the scientific perspective. That’s why creation science has been thrown out in the courts, because it doesn’t follow the scientific approach. Creation science has a priori ideas, that this is what we’re going to prove and we’ll take the evidence that we think proves it, and we’ll just reject all the other evidence that doesn’t prove it. We won’t even look at it. That’s not science."

"If you reject all the science and take the literalist point of view, what you get is a world out there that really isn’t all that interesting. When we start to understand scientifically how this thing functions, how incredibly complex it is, it’s mind-boggling. If you take a literal view of the Bible, you have to throw out every branch of science. You’re not just throwing out evolution, you’re throwing out biology, chemistry, geology, astronomy, cosmology, physics, they all have to go, because they are all in agreement about the age of the universe and life on earth. They are all in complete agreement, so you have to throw out all of science to embrace that literal view of the Bible."

Hope you enjoyed it and happy holidays, including the Solstice!

S4

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

good post

• skyking
    skyking

Great post we all need to leave a smaller foot print. With NASA reporting all the planets in our Solar system currently experiencing global warming show us here on this planet we need to take better care our home. Because it might not be totally our fault the Sun might be the biggest factor.

What we do however does matter even if it is the SUN causing this because we might be the tipping equation. How sad if we bury our heads in the sand and do not take personal action to help reduce global warming.

Have a question what are you doing right now to help reduce the impact that you and yours have on the Earth that goes for everyone what are you doing.

I find most people are mouth worshipers praying to an Alter "intitled let some body else do it" but not changing their own lives to help.

My wife and I and most all my personal friends are proactive in actually doing something about it. We have town meetings where we talk action to help reduce our impact. My wife is the Presendent of the movement.

Seeker 4 what are you doing to help?

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Cool post. I always try to compromise with creationists and say that maybe evolution is a tool the creator uses to create and develop. Sometimes it works but it usually leads to an "agree to disagree" which is better than an argument.

As far as global warming. We certainly could use some here in LA today!! It's freezing!!! (53 degrees) I have no problem doing my part. I hate seeing trucks and busses spewing nasty black smoke. The problem I have, is when countries like India and China double their pollution for everything I cut back.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I've read plenty of scientific reports that combat global warming as anything other than part of the natural cyclical nature of temperatures in the world. This scientist cannot make claim to speak for all scientists. If I remember rightly we were supposed to be worried about global cooling 15 years ago. Did the stats all flip in the last 15 years? Scientists are our modern day mythmakers as soon as they extrapolate their field of study outside their laboratory. The world will get warmer and then it'll get cooler - it might even do it quickly and we'll have to cope with the storms and floods but mankind has done it before and so has the rest of life. Technology will solve problems, thorium reactors will provide power and we'll someday bank enough dna to ensure no species will ever need to go extinct ever again (and we'll thwart one of evolutions outcomes.) The real risk as far as I see it is still nuclear war.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"There’s not one research climatologist who says that. Not one. You’ll hear that from the non-scientific community and you’ll hear that from people who have an ideological point of view, but the science (about global climate change) gets stronger all the time."

lol, have to chuckle at what he really means by "non-scientific community".

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I'm not sure how many climatologists are disputing climate change at the moment. Even the Bush administration is starting to come around! As Wessels said, the science is adding to the evidence daily that something serious is afoot. Maybe we shouldn't stick our head in the sands of denial until we've got 100% proof except that it's really too late to do something,

The above is only a small portion of our discussion, and I've got to say that my skepticism about the issue is not as great as it's been in the past. I'd recommend that you read Wessels' book - it's applying scientific principles to the issue, but written for the layman. Wessels is a serious and respected figure in the scientific community, and one I give careful consideration to when he speaks or writes.

You may also be intereted in taking a look at the Time magazine cover stories on global climate change earlier this year. The cover warned: Be Worried. Be Very Worried. The biggest denier of any problems seems to be ExxonMobil, and you might be interested in reading an article on that in the Jan. 2007 Men's Journal. Neither is exactly a scientific journal, but good information none the less.

And the concept of global warming is a bit of a misnomer. As Wessels made clear to me, what's being disrupted are what creates weather patterns, in particular the Gulf Stream, and the end result of all of this is likely to be a period of severe glacation in much of the northern hemisphere. That's what happened 8,000 years ago, the last time the Gulf Stream was disrupted by fresh water melt off from the arctic ice packs.

And skyking, what am I doing? Writing, educating, voting, work in the local communities, growing and hunting as much of my own food as possible, cutting and burning my own wood, which allowed me to cut my fuel oil consumption by 50% this year. Not enough.

S4

• Kudra
    Kudra

Good job, seeker4, and intersting post- is there a way you could post the rest of the transcript?

-K

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Seeker,

And skyking, what am I doing? Writing, educating, voting, work in the local communities, growing and hunting as much of my own food as possible, cutting and burning my own wood, which allowed me to cut my fuel oil consumption by 50% this year.

If you were really serious about this issue you would parachute naked from low flying aeroplanes holding large signs and shrieking at the complacent Saturday afternoon shoppers. Shame on you.

HS

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

hey that sounds like fun, l'll do it if you join me hillary

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit