TIME Magazine Articles on Jehovah's Witnesses

by Wild_Thing 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Nellie
    Nellie

Thanks for the post ! This is the kind of stuff I came looking for when I googled "Jehovah's Witnesses" for the first time! I thank God for JWD !!!

• Amazing
    Amazing

Wild-thing,

Excellent thread ... it is a great keeper.

Thanks,

im Whitney

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

This is the best thread that I have seen in a while on JWD... Thanks for the link...

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The 2874 date fits with the millennial theories of the time,

Just as the date 2975 was printed in "Life Everlasting in the Freedom of the Sons of God" book (around page 36 or 37) in a "Chronological Chart".

2975 - End of christ's Millennial Reign. ( would have to start in 1975 then wouldn't it?) And they say the R&F got the idea all by themselves that Armageddy would have to be over by 1975.

I am waiting for the next "CHRONOLOGICAL EXTENSION" by which they try to evade the 1914 stuff.

HB

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Yes, TIME hasn't been the best friend to the organisation. The more TIME passes, the more stupid they are.

• skyking
    skyking

Yap TIME is on our side! Thank you for the post

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I'm glad so many found this as interesting as I did! By the way, there are many you can search for at http://www.time.com/time/.

But it has made me wonder how many other interesting (and damning) articles from the media there are in existence from years ago. I use to have access to the university's resources. Hopefully, someone with that kind of access can search old newspapers and magazines and find some more gems. I'm not sure how far back they are electronically archived. It would certainly be interesting to see.

And I think it would be hard for active witnesses today to argue with history presented in that form. I am sure they can come up with some way to say that the media was their enemy or whatever and persecuting the witnesses, but it would be harder. It seems whenever you try to tell today's rank & file about watchtower history, they dismiss it as apostate propaganda.

• anewme
    anewme

Thankyou! That was extremely insightful! I had no idea the average reading person was actually aware of Watchtower activities. I thought the world paid them no attention really.

How embarrassing! To see it now through the eyes of freedom makes me cringe how I could have been so gullible once to be taken in my these zealots for Doomsday.

Anewme

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I found the Judge's death notice

Posted Monday, Jan. 19, 1942

Died. "Judge" Joseph Frederick Rutherford, 71, founder and guiding spirit of the energetically anticlerical, antiwar, anti-State Jehovah's Witnesses sect; in San Diego. A tireless orator, he was a youthful admirer of Orator William Jennings Bryan, affected a high-standing wing collar, string tie, capacious hat. He was legal adviser to Sectarian Charles Taze Russell, leader of the "Russellites," took over the organization after Russell's death in 1916, renamed it Jehovah's Witnesses, built it into a group claiming two million members. Rutherford was jailed in World War I for advocating war resistance, was released on appeal. The Witnesses got into trouble before War II for refusing to salute the U.S. flag. They believe that the Biblical prophecies control world happenings, Armageddon is drawing near, and the Prophets alone will live forever. Rutherford died in a Spanish mansion he had prepared for King David, Gideon, Samson, other Biblical luminaries. He landscaped it with palm and olive trees "so these princes of the universe will feel at home when they come. . . ."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,766356,00.html

How could anyone read that and not think we were all a tad light in the head?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Thanks Lady Lee! Who knew that TIME documented their history so well!

I found another gem where they interviewed Franz and asked him about the failed 1975 date:

Asked about 1975, Franz now says that the 6,000-year chronology is correct, but the seventh day of Creation did not begin until Eve was created. Thus the date for the End has to be extended by the amount of time between the advent of Adam and of Eve—an interval not yet revealed (previous Witness publications had stated that Adam and Eve were created in the same year).

It's amazing how he spun that one. Here is the link: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,919076,00.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit