TIME Magazine Articles on Jehovah's Witnesses

by Wild_Thing 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Has anyone ever posted about the tons of TIME magazine articles about the JWs? TIME has been around forever and has been a 'witness' (pardon the pun) to much of their history .. clear back to the 1930s. Go to the TIME website and search for yourself! Here are some goodies I found. I had no idea about the 2874 date that Rutherford set. What a nut!

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

This one talks about them waiting for the 1975 date:

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

this is great! thanks for sharing.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    I had no idea about the 2874 date that Rutherford set.

I am guessing here, but my first thought is that perhaps if 1874 was the start of Christ reign, 1000 years later would be the handing back to Jehovah's direct rule?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Blues

I think you are correct. The 1874 date was one of the earliest dates set for the 1000 to begine. It therefore makes perfect sense (well in their minds at least) that the conclusion would be 2874

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Here is another TIME article that references the 2874 date. And the Cosmos I, II, and III? It is amazing to me how anyone saw this man as credible.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I'm sorry for posting so many, but this is the best one yet! It's about Raymond Franz and the Watchtower's witch hunt surrounding his exit:

• TopHat
    TopHat

Intersting to say the least

• jambon1
    jambon1

They have necessarily backed off the 1975 date, but the End must occur during the lifetime of people who still remember the earthly events of 1914. With the rapidly thinning ranks of such oldsters, the Witnesses confront an increasingly troublesome, self-imposed and absolute deadline. —By Richard N. Ostling. Reported by Anne Constable/Atlanta THEY GOT OUT OF THAT ONE TOO!!!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I definitely remember the two more recent articles - I cut them out and have kept them in my files for decades.

The line in the 1969 article: "As they eye the thinning ranks of that generation, Jehovah's Witnesses are well aware the time limit is running out." haunted me for years. I knew that would be a key factor for me - if the end didn't come prior to 1994, when "the 1914 generation" teaching would be in serious trouble. I already had enough doubts so that when they changed the generation teaching in the mid-1990s, I left the Witnesses. It was the final outrage.

Did anyone notice that they seemed to be claiming 2.5 million members in the 30s, more than they said in the 40s?

And that's correct on the 2874 date: 1874 + 1000.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit