What Did YOU Do At A Typical Witness "Get-Together"?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen one
    frozen one

The congregation I grew up in was actually pretty social. In the winter there were sledding/skating/snowmobiling get togethers. The bonfires at those get togethers were fun. Bowling get togethers were common also. Every summer there was at least one congregation picnic with a softball game. We also had hayrides and barn dances. I do remember a prayer being said before eating, but no kingdom song singing or bible games. I don't remember a lot of heavy drinking. Not long before that congregation folded (due to declining population in the area), the socializing pretty much evaporated. I remember an elder making a comment about it from the platform. To paraphrase, he said, "What happened to those parties we enjoyed together? A congregation doesn't have to be all about service." A rather amazing thing to hear from the platform during an elders impromptu local needs talk. Growing up in the sticks did have advantages.

• minimus
    minimus

Speaking of drinking, the Service Overseer regularly drank wine or a martini before the meetings. (Italian family regarding thw vino).....A couple of times he was giving a talk, asking audience questions and giggling like a little school girl, drunk up on the platform.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

We rarely got invited ...

there were 3 kinds of "get together" (where did that name come from?)

1) Officially sanctioned and in a rented hall - latterly frowned upon by the Borg

everyone sits around and eats homemade food, plays games with all the emphasis on children and the rest of us tolerated with sufferance. A couple of lads might entertain with guitars , briefly and with low amplification. [glad to get home early and watch Match of the Day] (UK TV football show]

2) Teen Parties - I never got an invite to those

3) Mature get togethers at someones home. Usually nice food , Bible games, Group games , sensible conversation about anything except "The Truth",

• minimus
    minimus

I used to avoid Witnesses that talked ONLY about "The Truth".

• aarque
    aarque

My three sisters and I were rarely invited to any get-togethers. We would find out about them after the fact by others who would tell us all the details and wonder why we weren't there. When I got to my teens I would go roller skating almost every Saturday night at the local rink. I begged my mom not to tell anyone about it, but one night I was seen there. After that, some would drop off their much younger kids for me to babysit while skating. The kids were very badly behaved. I finally stopped going.

• kid-A
    kid-A

"ignoring the fact that the poor, the lame, and the crazy weren't invited."

> That might have happened in our hall, except then there would have been nobody to invite...lol...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

We used to sing Kingdom Songs and eat

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    I used to avoid Witnesses that talked ONLY about "The Truth".

We got invited to a 'get together' once that was a nightmare come true. The hosts were nice people, just unbelieeeeeevably boring and not too terribly bright, either. After the prescribed amount of chit-chat and pot-luck food, the guy suggested that we study the WT for the next day!! I tried every excuse in the book... We don't have them with us (they found us copies), we need to get the kids home to bed (they found pillows in case the kids fell asleep)... I thought the "study" would NEVER end!!! Needless to say, we declined all further invitations to this couple's house.... GGG

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

One cong. I went to was not very social, everythign was a meeting or a shower or a wedding (precious few of THOSE) One family would do more social things, but most did not.

In the other cong. we were always meeting at friendly's getting to know each other, the young adults went dancing and drinking and the entire cong. seemed to be partying on weekends. Like a different world. In one cong. though, I was a kid, and the other, I was a young adult (I went for a few months when I lived back east) but not drinking age. I was looking for something familiar, then realized that familiarity was not always a good thing!

I REALLY miss Friendly's, though. Do they still have them?

Anyone here from Nutley or Montclair NJ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit