What Did YOU Do At A Typical Witness "Get-Together"?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

The typical "get togethers" here, were mostly made up of a large cross-section of the congregation. Mostly elderly, a couple drooling retards, and the like. All we ever did was eat, drink unspiked punch, and fantasize about a coming "new system".

Dismembered

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I can remember going to a party with a bunch of teenagers for dancing and listening to cool tunes. It ended when the poor girls father insisted we play kingdom songs instead .All of us were in stunned disbeleif and the party was over.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Jam

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Is that you gary, it reminds me of back to the future with george mc fly?

• anewme
    anewme

I seem to remember always teetering on a breakdown of some kind. I was so nervous at get togethers.
    I never felt like one of the beautiful crowd, the "with it" attractive smart, slim, or rich ones in attendance. Too bad, cause Im sure people liked me, but what good is it if you dont feel it from them? My husband would always encourage me to offer to do the dishes for them and take out the garbage, you know, make myself useful instead of sitting around glum making others uncomfortable.

In all fairness I think it was my own problem and not that of the witnesses. They had fun and were relaxed. They took off their shoes and laughed easily and walked around and talked and talked. Beer, wine and snacks flowed. I of course, coming from my family's Irish alcoholic background did not participate in the merriment and instead sat beside my husband while he discussed the latest Watchtower with someone unbaptized.
    I had no children to talk about, we had no money so the discussion of latest purchases and vacations was out. I had given up most hobbies for the field service and meetings. So after complimenting the hostess on her house and meal, I spent the rest of the evening asking questions questions questions of everyone else' lives. I was so nervous going to get togethers I would rehearse with my husband possible questions to ask others to keep the conversations going for say 2 hours. Then I begged him if we could slip out and go home after a decent amount of time.

And this was with people we knew! My husband being an elder gave talks out all the time in other congregations where they wanted to show us hospitality. It was excruciating for me being so shy.
    I really needed some meds if I was going to stay in that org.
    But meds for anxiety and depression were still in the future. Only about the year 2000 were they becoming fashionable in the congregation and were older elder wives openly admonishing younger women to try them.

Wish someone had taken me out to a van for some rum!!

Anewme

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hm not too many gatherings happening at ours. They tried like heck to get picnics together, but they didn't go over well.

I have to say our PO was a pretty cool guy. He tried a couple of times to put a bbq together and he had beer and a fire. Nice guy, really.

When I was younger though and the kids would get together, there would be bible charades and other Ned Flanders type acitivties. It wasn't bad. It was fun. I enjoyed hanging with my friends and it was all I knew.

When I met up with a couple of bad girls from the hall , we'd smoke and drink and whatnot.

But in all truthfulness, it wasn't so great. I can honestly say I prefer the other memories of bible charades. That was me though.

• Gordy
    Gordy
    Did you sing Kingdumb songs, take turns reading the Bible, play Bible games

These were the last things we ever did at any kind of "get-together" as JW's

Whether they be small or large.

Even when we just had JW couples round for a meal or went to theirs, we never discussed anything "spiritual".

At larger gatherings no one ever suggested sing Kingdom songs or having a Bible quiz etc.

It was almost an unwritten rule at such occasions.

• anewme
    anewme

Oh but when I played the hostess, such as after a bookstudy in our home, I was more in my element!
    I had so much fun organizing the children to play Bible charades or put on a quick drama---complete with costumes I had gathered and organized earlier. I made snacks. We brought out the latest puppies or baby birds or kittens. One time I played my cello for them.

Needless to say the teenagers would always ask their parents for the car keys and exit right after the book study was over. Many of them asked if they could move to another book study altogether.
    Gee, I wonder why?

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: Is that you garyYes, me on the left and my brother on the right. This must have been winter of 66/67. I was 22.

• anewme
    anewme

You and your brother look like twins Gary! Are you? Is he still in the org?
    Excuse me Minny while I gather this very important info on Gary.

Anewme

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit