Is the shunning over???

by bluesapphire 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

My sister (E) has been shunning me for 5 years this past November. It all started when I began to have doubts and she tried to "reason" with me from the scriptures. But all that would end up happening is that I would make her have doubts (hmmmm, wonder why).

Anyway, I felt a great loss when she stopped talking to me. She would look away if I happened to enter a room. She didn't come to my baby shower when I had my son and she didn't invite me to her wedding. We were the only dubs in our family so the rest of the "wordly" family was invited. I was the lone-loser!

She moved to Idaho on a special assignment with her pioneer husband about a year ago. She has kept in periodic contact with the family. And when she asks about my family she mentioned every member by name but excludes me. This is the level to which she has gone.

She is in town and I live 5 minutes away from our other sister. Wednesday I went to my sister's house to pick up my kids and E was there. When she saw me, she ran inside and went upstairs and stayed in a room so as not to have contact with me. THAT's pretty bad. The most deliberate shunning I've ever heard of. To boot, I have never been shunned by ANY OTHER JW -- not EVER! Just my sister.

So yesterday I said, "What the heck? I'm going to go over there and talk to her about it." But I didn't know what I was going to say. It was a spur of the moment decision with no time to think.

When I got there her husband was outside and I asked him to call E. He said, "Yeah sure." (Amazingly even her husband has never shunned me.) So a minute later out she comes with this strange look on her face. The look of fear. Like she thought I was going to attack her or be mean to her. Who knows what she was thinking? So the only thing that came out of my mouth was, "I'm sorry." And she started crying and I started crying. And we both hugged and she said she was sorry too for handling things the wrong way. That's all it took. I had handled things so poorly that I was the one who pushed her away. Rather, I made it easy for her to take the Watchtower hard line to the limit!

So we talked and caught up a little bit. Then she said she has missed me so much and never stopped loving me. I told her the same and that losing her was a very hard loss. She said she might not understand what I've been through or why I made the decisions I've made but that "Jehovah" understands and that's all that matters. I told her she was right. That I was trying to rush things that cannot be rushed.

Anyway, I know we will keep in contact from now on. She lives far away and I'm sure we will not talk about religion. We both learned our lesson. But there are so many other things to talk about. We were always like two peas in a pod.

I can't help but thinking that someday, if I play it right, the door will be opened for me to plant more doubt. I have to be gentle with her because she is a very delicate person. But at least I know I have my sister back!

IN YOUR FACE to the PUKES in Brooklyn!

• Jourles
    Jourles

Nice turnaround. Maybe she is already having doubts and that is what prompted her to "break down." Just continue to be her best friend and who knows how things might turn out in a year, or ten.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

bluesapphire, that's wonderful news, I am so happy for you.

I suspect that, whatever anyone buys you for Christmas, you have already had the gift you most wished for by getting your sister back.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am not an athlete and I am not a big man, but I always considered myself a manly man.
    I hate baby showers and poetry readings. I prefer action movies over love stories.
    That said, I somehow do not fit my own mold when reading these success stories.
    I put my wife in your sister's situation (she has a close relative who is DF'ed, but she
    never goes to such extremes to avoid her- like running to a room and closing the door)
    and I can't help but hope for the happy ending.

I am thrilled to hear of such wonderful things happening. I hope for the best.

• becca1
    becca1

I'm so happy for you. It's great thet you had the courage to say 'I'm sorry' first. That in itself should speak volumes Forget about planting doubt. Just enjoy your new found closeness with your sister and let the rest happen naturally. Don't risk losing her again.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I must agree

Forget about planting doubt. Just enjoy your new found closeness with your sister and let the rest happen naturally. Don't risk losing her again.

For now, plan no further attacks on the tower. She will get around to asking you questions. Just wait on that.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

You're right. I'm not going to risk it. I'm just thrilled. It feels like a weight has been lifted. Happy Christmas for me!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Wow Blue, that's a story with a great ending for a change! Good for you, hopefully you will help her to see the real light someday.

Dismembered

• evetteto
    evetteto

Wow! That reminds me of a Mary and Martha situation with me and my Ex-JW sis..and we were ready to fight and my mom said u2 arent acting like christians and she came out the room...we hugged and cried begging each other for forgiveness and confessing our love for 1 another....and she too at the time cldnt talk religion with me cuz of the WT doctrine...but I thank God, for the seeds he allowed me to plant and the unconditional love I had for her..she is now EX.....so I encourage you to keep sowing yr seeds..Ecclesiates 11:6.

Evette

• sspo
    sspo
    I had handled things so poorly that I was the one who pushed her away. Rather, I made it easy for her to take the Watchtower hard line to the limit!

I had the same problem with my ex wife. Once you realize the lies you cannot hold it in, and when you reason with the dubs and they cannot defend themselves, they will run ( literally )

to protect themselves from " apostasy " .

I learned since then to be tactful but it was too late..............................the wife ran away and never came back until i received my divorce papers.

Oh well, life goes on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit