child getting baptized

by Cindyrenee 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

The child will not be able to legally get married until 9 more years in most states. This horrible religion is going to expect him to treat his "commitment" as more important than marriage.(?) There's some twisted reasoning in there somewhere. Tell the parents if you can, that he is much too young. At least Jesus was in his 30's what is the rush?? And this from a group of zealots who claim Catholic infant baptism is wrong....

YC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    And this from a group of zealots who claim Catholic infant baptism is wrong.

I do not know of a single infant-baptizing group that teaches that everyone who doesn't live under the same roof must totally shun a child or teenager that doesn't live up to all the doctrines/teachings of the religion.

• metatron
    metatron

Let's call it what it is: child abuse by a sick, uncaring religion.

metatron

• Scully
    Scully

You could have the lawyer require that your ex-son-in-law will refrain from permitting your grandson to be baptized until he reaches at least the age of majority. Insist that the Bible reports that Jesus did not get baptized until he was 30 years of age, therefore in order to follow his example, he should be an adult.

A 9 year old cannot vote, get married, enter a contract, consent to surgery, drive a car, join the army, etc. If he is not considered mature enough to make those decisions, he is also not mature enough to decide to be baptized.

The WTS recommends a long engagement period before marriage - with the goal of getting a clear picture of the person they intend to marry. They say that marriage is not something to rush into. How much more serious is the step of baptism? How much more seriously should the person weigh the belief system that they are considering joining?

• loosie
    loosie

Well I was told that getting baptized is an even bigger commitment than getting married.

So should a 9 year old get married? I hardly think so.

I vote NO!!!!

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Going over the questions does not always mean the person will get baptized. If someone requests to go over the questions the elders will consider them.

I agree 9 is young.

bczar

• sspo
    sspo

I saw a few 6 year old little girls getting baptized.

The Borg is so quick to put down the Catholic church for infant baptism and then turn around and make a six year old into a minister of the gospel.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If he was being baptised to show his faith in Christ, I wouldn't mind, even though I don't think he fully could understand at that age. The fact is that he is dedicating himself to being a JW, not a Christian, and the minute he rejects the WT he will be treated like a low down dirty dog(most people wouldn't be that mean to a dog!)by his entire JW family. Feeling a little foolish about a decision made at 9 is one thing, but having your life ruined, and being personally rejected by those you love-it is evil.

When I was young they did NOT encourage young people to be baptised. Generally the thought in our cong. was that anytime before 15 was kind of pushing it. I do not know of any JW of my generation that was baptised that didn't totally leave, or leave (disfellowshipped) and come back after a time away. (Two left, got married and came back with an unbelieving spouse).Most just are disfellowshipped. I can't think of any intact families. That is now how the early church was portrayed at all, is it? They really think they are Jehovah's people? Happiest families, etc.

Ppppffffftttt!

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Ah but the confirmation classes aren't for another 6 years when the Bishop CO comes to visit

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I have a 9 year old granddaughter. She's into...bratz dolls and cute clothes. Computer games and Spider Wick series books. and Boys still have cooties...lol

I'm so glad she gets to be a kid.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit