Menopause/Hormone Imbalance -- Need Girlfriend Advice!

by cruzanheart 15 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Here's the situation: I'm 51 and had a hysterectomy a year ago. I'm on Premarin. Physically I feel fine but mentally I'm kind of foggy-headed, over-emotional sometimes and detached at others, and, um, not entirely reasonable a good bit of the time. I know I'm depressed, but I think this is more hormonal than anything.

Am I right?

I talked to my GYN about it and he told me to take a second Premarin each day. He's a great doctor about a lot of things, but not really in tune with emotional problems. And he sucks at diagnosing a broken foot, but that's another story and not really his specialty anyway so I forgive him. The second Premarin might be helping a little but not enough.

I'm at a job where I have to actually use my brain cells -- all of them -- on a daily basis and I can't afford to be foggy-headed. I'd rather be my usual predictable self instead of the family not knowing what reaction they'll get from me if they ask me a question.

I'm hoping that somewhere on this board there is someone who has gone through this ahead of me and can give me some advice.

Thanks!

Nina

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Find a good acupuncturist. The acupuncturist can create a blend of herbs for you that will alleviate many of your symptoms. Many of these herbs have now been studied scientifically, as well as having been used for many centuries in China. They work - I took them and had a totally symptom-free menopause. Get your herbs from your acupuncturist or directly from a company like Mayway (mayway.com) that guarantees the quality of the herbs.

• Dino
    Dino

Hello Nina/Girlfriend.

When my wife and I first left the JWs, we watched alot of "christian TV". On one of the channels we took notice of a Dr Helen Pensanti hawking her products and taking issue with her problems with Premarin. Honestly, she made some valid points about the drawbacks of mares urine.

My wife was having such a hard time with menopause (irritable mood swings, dryness, dont want to get too graphic etc). She markets quite successfully through the evangelical outlets. So much so that her products are in several chain stores. I dont watch that crap anymore, but we feel that was the only good thing that came out of that experience.

In our case, it helped my wife greatly. It is a natural product. I am very wary of "natural cures", but it has very much improved her mental clarity as well as other things.

The website is www.askdrhelen.com

She may play to the Christian Right, but her product is almost always sold out at Albertson's (I know that you will recognize the local store name) and I panic when we cant find it in stores!

Dino

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I started a thread on this a few months ago. I got a lot of advice and someone even sent me a book. Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/115986/1.ashx

I ended up taking sick leave from my job, but not just because of menopause. I think the menopause was kind of like the straw that broke the camel's back. It just seems like when your engine breaks down that the rest of the car starts falling apart! I hope you can find some answers and the right fix!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I had a hysterectomy right after my daughter was born, and she's 22. I've tried so many things. I finally went to the estradiol shots. No hangovers, or anything. That's what worked for me!!

I'm not taking them now, and tend to get real emotional and cranky!!

shelley

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Nina

I had my hysterectomy way back in 89. They left my ovaries so I was still ovulating. So there was no problem - just a lot of relief from getting that pain-inducing organ out.

When menopause started (around 1999/2000) I tried various natural things, soy, Vitiamin E. They worked for a while but then the hot flashes were ever hour night and day. I got real crabby because I wasn't sleeping properly. I think for me the mood swings had far more to do with lack of sleep (throw the covers off, cool down then drag them over me again only to repoeat in an hour). Real crazy-making stuff.

I talked to my doctor (not real great in the woman problems area) and I agreed to try HRT/Premarin. I started with the lowest dose and it helped a bit but we went one step up and it worked great for me. No more hot flashes. No more cooling off all the time only to get chilled and cover up again.

This year my female doctor suggested I go off it. I was a tad nervous because I remember how crazy-making hot flashes were. But we went back down to the lowest dose and I had a couple of hot flashes but nothing to even bother with. I stopped it completely a couple of months ago and haven't had any bad effects.

Do some research and talk to your Dr. No reason to suffer

Years ago I was at some baby shower or something and the POs wife and a couple of other older "sisters" were talking about hysterectomies. I was speechless when she announced, "I'm thrilled I had it done. It's like taking out the baby carriage and leaving the playpen" I don't think I will ever forget that one

• rocky220
    rocky220

I had a hysterctomy when i was 40, but Dr. left my ovaries in. Still had all the symptoms of menopause, instead of hormonal therapies, I tried liver detoxifying as well as my whole intestinal tract, my skin is beautiful, smooth, no hot flashes, or mood swings and libido on point like nobody's business!!!! Rocky 220

• juni
    juni

Hi Nina!

Oh I feel for you! I'm soon to be 58. Through menopause. What you are describing is what I experience daily. My friend calls me Ms. leaky brain cells. It's all in fun, but it's true! You have to keep a sense of humor otherwise you'd be checking yourself into the mental ward.

I hate it and the mood swings.

No wonder women usually live longer than men. We're given a few extra years of life to make up for the crappy years. Actually it doesn't balance out.

But you have to look at the postitive side too. No longer are you afraid to express yourself and you are more self assured. Did you ever watch the movie FRIED GREEN TOMATOES??

Kathy Bates is the woman playing the part of the menopausal women. It's funny, but also so true. If you haven't seen it, you have got to rent it out and have a good laugh.

Towanda Nina!!

Juni

• anewme
    anewme

Good advice Juni!

TOWANDA!!!!!!!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I heard women get funnier after menopause!!!!! I think its true!!!!!

Yes, it's true because I'm a total nut!

Juni, I loved the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, too!

I posted this scene from "Malcolm in the middle" before about his mom going through menopause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFxnV1YekO0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit