divorce question

by depressed 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• depressed
    depressed

My soon to be ex-husband's father is the presiding overseer of the congregation and his entire family is very spiritual - including my husband's sister and her husband who serve in Gilead.

To make a long story short, my husband and I used to serve in bethel but eventually left. We moved around the NYC area where we both took on full time jobs, pursued our four year degrees, and led pretty successful lives. I left the organization, because I was tired of gossip, etc and half of my family was disfellowshipped. That is it in a nutshell. However, my husband didn't protest, but just got lazy and stopped attending meetings.

Anyway, one day, though, my husband - who was raised in the organization, had a mid-life crisis, and he started to hang out at bars, get tattoos, etc. I don't know what possessed him but wanted to divorce me as well - after 9 years of marriage. I was stunned. Well, I found out that he started an affair with a new coworker as well - with an older woman who loves to hang out at bars. She's a good 10 years older than we are, divorced, with two kids.

Suddenly, as night and day, my husband filed for divorce. I was served with papers unexpectedly.

His family disowned me, as my husband lied to them that he didn't have an affair, and told them something that I have absolutely no idea what. Whatever it was, it must have been bad because they are financing the divorce. I've had multiple nervous breakdowns since, as I have the slightest idea what my lying husband told them to make them hate me, and most of all, finance the divorce. On top of this, my husband is treating me as if I"m the one who is disfellowshipped, by pretending that I was the bad guy and playin' along as if I was the one who did the bad deed.

This happened in March, and the divorce is still in progress

Just this past Saturday, I don't know what possessed me, but I thought that I would get some closure if I called the inlaws up and just spoke honestly with them and asked them why the divorce if they don't believe in that.

What was that for?? My stbx mother in law, picked up the phone, and was extremely short with me. She passed the phone over to her husband (the presiding overseer), and I started telling him that I feel very bad for the way that things have turned out. He was so short and seemed angry with me on the telephone.

So, I asked him why is it that he's angry with me, when I'm the victim around here and his son left me, not the other way around.

He got so angry - he said that I'm part responsible for what happened and that there are NO victims in my case. He said that he doesn't believe that his son had an affair, and that I can't judge him based on circumstancial evidence. Keep in mind that my "circumstancial evidence" consists of love letters I found from the other woman, and the fact that this other woman emailed me some very nasty emails regarding little personal things in my marriage that I did and did not do after my husband left me. Like how would the other woman know these things??

My in laws up to this day - 8 months later, refuse to accept that my stbx left me at the advice of the other woman. They absolutely refuse to believe it.

When I asked him, "Why else would he have left me?"

He answered in a sinister way, "So you mean to tell me that after 10 years of living together with him, you don't know why you're getting a divorce?"

I told him no, actually I don't - I found the love letters, and then he left, and then I got served with divorce papers... And this is soo true. Not once did my husband sit down with me to tell me that he was unhappy. After I found the love letters, that's when he moved out - a week later. A week after that, he filed for divorce.

They do not believe any of my story, none of it at all.

So okay, my question to you guys is this:

Since it's been years since I've attended the organization, I want to know under what conditions - besides death and adultery, would a presiding overseer shun me, and finance his son's divorce. Keep in mind that the father told me off saying that this divorce is definitely scriptural and that they are not doing anything against God's laws.

• depressed
    depressed

A clue maybe??

I have an online diary that I keep. I journaled and spoke about my husband's affair. I was so angry once, that I forwarded this journal to his job so that the other woman - who works there, can be shamed in front of her other coworkers. But I was very angry then as I felt betrayed.

My husband used my blog to show his family that I am slandering and libeling him by saying that he had an affair with his coworker. His family is constantly prying in there - as my web stats show. His family cannot stop looking at my diaries, as they actually google search for me and look for me online. Just yesterday, my husband viewed my online diary a good 81 times. Could maybe this be grounds for divorce???

• sspo
    sspo

You really don't know what your ex told his parents about you and the kind of wife you were.

Most likely he painted a real ugly picture of you and it seems you will not be able to reason with them, it is their son and they will stick with him especially if your ex

has lied about the other woman.

Did you talk to any other elders in the congr., after all if someone divorces his mate, the BOE would at least make a call and find out what's going on.

Sorry about the mess but many of us have gone thru the same thing.

• depressed
    depressed

thanks sspo -

Yes, but it was very hard as I haven't gone to the meetings in over 5 years. But I really want to know what they said.

Another clue, maybe:

The father told me that I am welcomed to have my local elders contact him but he's NOT giving them any information.

???What's that about????

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Depressed,

This legalistic crap makes life among the JW's hell, doesn't it? So, lets play the game. You are inactive, correct? Is the congregation that your father in law is PO of, the same one you would have had a publisher's card in? You will have to become active and attend meetings to get the machine of the congregation working for you. That means the new congregation will contact the last known congregation to get the rundown on who you are and any records. It sounds like that would be the one that hubby's Daddy is the boss hog of. Is it worth it? Perhaps you want your husband to be disfellowshiped in order for all to see he is the cheating liar that he is. The deck is stacked against you in this while inactive. If you want anything to be done in the congregation you will have to attend a congregation. I wouldn't talk to the local elders. I would inform the CO about the situation and not tell the local congregation that this is underway. You must know how to contact Bethel and hunt down someone who can tell you who the current CO is for the area. Let him know your situation. If he's unwilling to intervene, its over. He'll ask the local elders to look into it. The only hope in this case is if the local elders know his character and have a grudge against the jackass too. Its an old boys club you know. In times past I would have said to pray to Jehovah and trust in him, that's up to you naturally.

Do you have the love letters? You might want to include a copy of the most incriminating with your letter to CO.

Even so, you might want to decide if you want to deal with this through the congregation. You can let this go and just move on, which is unfair and sucks, but might help you cut free of these jackasses and move on. That's up to you.

Are you concerned about losing out in the divorce financially? Have you got a good lawyer? Sounds like they are going for the throat. I'd get a good lawyer if you can. Talk to social services and see if they have any help available.

Its hard to convict the prince when his father is the king. If you can just fight this in the courts I'd do it and take the bastard for everything he's got. Those love letters should be proof of infidelity I'd imagine. Good luck.

W.Once

• depressed
    depressed

thanks wasanelder for your response, but first of all, his father/family is in a different State. My husband lives in the same State as I do, but in a different apartment. We've both been inactive for quite some time already - actually for around 5 years.

My question still stands - under what condition would this PO who's the "prince's" father finance a divorce, if my husband lied about the affair, and I haven't done anything????

What are the grounds for a "legal" divorce in the organization? Do you know?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Welcome to the board, depressed. I am so sorry for your circumstances but in the long run you'll be better off.

Adultery is the only grounds for divorce that the Witnesses recognize. It could be that your ex-to-be has said that YOU had the affair, or you drove him to it, or whatever gets the "poor baby" response from his parents.

If the parents of your ex-to-be are well connected, they can get away with their poor baby's adultery and it will still be okay for him to remarry. I've seen quite a few cases in the past where someone wanted out of a marriage so had a one night stand, cried and said they were sorry, got divorced and remarried, all without being disfellowshipped.

It might help if you get a little counseling for yourself and start to build a new life for yourself. I know you are hurt and bewildered and you have a right to be.

Hey, it's therapeutic to post here! Hope to hear a lot from you!

Hugs,

Nina

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Thanks for the background. Here's the WT answer to the question proposed.

w00 12/15pp.28-29QuestionsFromReaders

Questions

FromReaders

To

what extent need a faithful Christian wife resist a divorce action brought by her mate?

When human marriage began, God said that a husband and wife should "stick" together. (Genesis 2:18-24) Humans became imperfect, with resulting problems in many marriages, but God’s desire is that mates should still stick together. The apostle Paul wrote: "To the married people I give instructions, yet not I but the Lord, that a wife should not depart from her husband; but if she should actually depart, let her remain unmarried or else make up again with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife."—1 Corinthians 7:10, 11.

Those words acknowledge that among imperfect humans a mate sometimes decides to leave. For example, Paul said that if a mate departed, both parties were to "remain unmarried." Why? Well, the mate departed, but the two continued bound to each other in God’s eyes. Paul could say this because Jesus had set out the standard for Christian marriage: "Whoever divorces his wife, except on the ground of fornication [Greek, por·nei´a], and marries another commits adultery." (Matthew 19:9) Yes, the only basis for divorce that Scripturally ends a marriage is "fornication," that is, sexual immorality. Evidently, in the case Paul referred to, neither mate had been immoral, so when the husband or wife departed, the marriage did not end in God’s sight.

Paul then spoke of the situation in which a true Christian has a mate who is an unbeliever. Consider Paul’s directions: "If the unbelieving one proceeds to depart, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not in servitude under such circumstances, but God has called you to peace." (1 Corinthians 7:12-16) What could a faithful wife do if her unbelieving husband left her, even seeking a legal divorce from her?

She may prefer that he remain with her. She may still love him, sense their mutual emotional and sexual needs, and know that she and any minor children need material support. She might also hope that, in time, her husband would become a believer and be saved. Yet, if he took steps to end the marriage (on some unscriptural ground), the wife could "let him depart," as Paul wrote. The same would apply if a believing husband disregarded God’s view of marriage and insisted on departing.

In such a situation, though, she might need to protect herself and the children. How so? She would want to retain custody of her beloved children so that she could continue to show them motherly love, give them moral training, and instill in them faith based on fine Bible teachings. (2 Timothy 3:15) The divorce could endanger her rights. Hence, she might take steps to be represented properly before the authorities in order to protect her right to have access to her children and to be sure that her husband was obliged to support the family that he was abandoning. In some places, a woman contesting a divorce can sign legal documents that set out provisions for child custody and financial support, without agreeing to the divorce her husband is seeking. Elsewhere, the wording of the documents indicates that she agrees with the divorce; thus, if her husband was guilty of adultery, the wife’s signing these would mean that she rejects him.

Most in the community and in the congregation would not know the details, such as whether the divorce was obtained on Scriptural grounds. So before things advanced that far, it would be advisable for the wife to inform the presiding overseer and another elder in the congregation (preferably in writing) of the facts. In that way those facts would be available in case any question arose—then or later.

Let us return to Jesus’ comment: "Whoever divorces his wife, except on the ground of fornication, and marries another commits adultery." If a husband was actually guilty of sexual immorality but wanted to remain married to his wife, she (the innocent one in Jesus’ example) must choose whether to forgive him and continue sharing the marital bed or to reject him. If she is willing to forgive and continue with her legal husband, she is not morally stained in doing so.—Hosea 1:1-3; 3:1-3.

In a case where an immoral husband seeks a divorce, the wife still may be willing to forgive, hoping to have him back. It is up to her to determine, based on her conscience and situation, whether to contest his divorce action. In some places a woman contesting a divorce might be able to sign documents that stipulate custody of the children and financial support without indicating that she agrees with the divorce; her signing such papers would not in itself indicate that she was rejecting him. However, elsewhere a wife contesting a divorce might be asked to sign documents that indicate that she agrees with the divorce; signing such would expressly show that she rejects her guilty husband.

To avoid the possibility of misunderstanding, it would be advisable in this case as well for the wife to give representatives of the congregation a letter outlining what steps are being taken and the attitudes underlying them. She could state that she told her husband that she was willing to forgive him and to be his wife. That would mean that the divorce was being obtained against her wishes; rather than rejecting her husband, she was still ready to forgive. After thus making it clear that she was willing to forgive and remain married, her signing papers that merely indicate how financial and/or custody matters are to be settled would not indicate that she was rejecting her husband.

Having established her willingness to forgive even after a divorce, neither she nor her husband would be free to marry another. If she, the innocent mate whose offer of forgiveness was refused, later decides to reject him because of his immorality, both would then be free. Jesus showed that the innocent mate has a right to make such a decision.—Matthew 5:32; 19:9; Luke 16:18.

[Footnote]

Legal procedures and papers vary from place to place. The terms of the divorce set out in legal documents should be examined closely before signing. If an innocent mate signs papers that indicate that she (or he) does not object to a divorce that the mate is getting, that amounts to rejecting the mate.—Matthew 5:37.

So you have to let the local congregation know that he has filed for divorce and that he is the guilty one. Your inlaws are financing the divorce because nothing has been settled in the congregation. It is his word against yours. Until the congregation settles it, they can do what they want. Now that I know you are not in your IL's congregation I say go to the elders of the congregation you would attend if you want to be a witness again and have this done in the congregation. No matter what you do, his parents will support him and get away with it. I would just fight him in court and go to the elders if you really think its worth it.

The only scriptural reason for divorce is fornication. But, people cannot be held accountable for a unscriptural divorce by the congregation except when it comes to appointments and serving as an example in the congregation. His father will not be held accountable for financing it. Its BS I know, but so is the whole arrangement.

W.Once

• sspo
    sspo
    What are the grounds for a "legal" divorce in the organization? Do you know?

You do not need any grounds for legal divorce. Any mate in the congregation can get a divorce.

It happens everyday for any reasons.

My wife just divorced me after 26 years of marriage for " spiritual endangerment ". Anyone can go to the elders and give them a lot bull and excusing themselves for leaving the mate. They might lose some priviliges in the congr. but if they are good liars, nothing will happen to them.

Even though they may legally divorce, they cannot marry unless adultery or death takes place.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Welcome to the board, depressed. I am so sorry for your circumstances but in the long run you'll be better off.

I agree, you will be well better off. I'm sorry you have to go through so much drama. Seems like that's in the waters lately.

No man...NO MAN is worth trying to fight to find answers. You'll heal much quicker if you can move on and forget about him and his family. I should throw in that if the woman cheats then she's not worth it either. Cheaters will always cheat and will always find a way to rip your heart out.

My suggestion would to be try to work on each day on you and you alone. Love sucks doesn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit