Notes from recent CO meeting with elders/ms

by Doubting Bro 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

AS,

Yeah, that cracked me up as well. And even funnier was that the CO said that will no explaination, and just moved on. I couldn't look up because I was afraid my reaction would have given me away. Maybe the holy spirit just conference called Paul into the weekly meeting since he was on the road so much??

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

minimus,

And what if one of the folks involved is the son of the well liked PO? How fair is that going to turn out? Also, why would the branch want to take on the liability of being consulted? I know they'll route the call to the Legal Department to get privilege but what about the individual elders? I would think if they inserted themselves into a business dispute, there is a good chance of them being named in a lawsuit as well. Is "mother" going to provide a defense??

• minimus
    minimus

You see....the big problem is that Paul was ALWAYS visiting other lands so his vote never gave much weight and that's why the 2/3rds rule was created....I bet the CO didn't mention that one either!

• sir82
    sir82
    I would love to see the numbers broken down by language. How much would you be willing to bet that the English congregations are shrinking and Spanish & other languages are completely driving the 1% US increase?

At the last elders school they mentioned that 1/4 (250,000) of the US publisher count is in Spanish-language congregations.

At Spanish Circuit Assemblies near here (large urban area with a huge influx of immigrants - legal and otherwise), baptisms can number 40 or more. At District Conventions, the count usually far exceeds 100. There are still lots of people who come in & are baptized "from the field" in Spanish congregations - not just kids of believing adults.

I would bet large sums of money that there is much more growth than 1% in the Spanish congregations...I'd also bet large sums that if the breakdown were given by language groups, you'd be seeing a 2-3% annual drop in the number of publishers in English language congregations in the US every year.

• minimus
    minimus

I own a business and if anyone screwed me, Witness or not, I'd go after them!

• gumby
    gumby
    Yesterdays WT article where the great crowd was clearly only companions of Christians and not really Christians themselves, I can’t really see how the scripture cited can apply. Paul said that they were to judge the world, so why can’t they act as judges now. However, I don’t know any anointed elders, we certainly don’t have any. So, doesn’t that mean that they’re not qualified to sit in judgment?

You bring up some very good thoughts Doubting Brother.

It's also odd that a judicial commitee consisting of elders of the great crown can disfellowship an annointed one when the great crowd are only "helpers" and "companions" of the faithful slave class. Since when does a helper fire their boss?

Gumby

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    DoubtingBro wrote: And even funnier was that the CO said that will no explaination, and just moved on. I couldn't look up because I was afraid my reaction would have given me away. Maybe the holy spirit just conference called Paul into the weekly meeting since he was on the road so much??

I think I'd have busted a gut trying to stiffle that chuckle. How did you *do* it??

-Aude.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

So ... Paul was on the GB, eh? From a brief consideration of Galatians 1-3 it seems to me that he wasn't aware of that fact. He was oblivious to that fact, the way the text reads.

One thing is certain, he didn't attend weekly meetings with the GB. Nor did he have any hand in the content of the semi-monthly publications that were being distributed by the First Century disciples in lieu of teaching.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

This precise premise featured a confront of sorts between my two CO teachers at Pioneer school a few years back.

The CO taking the 'teaching' slot for the session, whilst the other sat in the group, stated that Paul was not on the GB. The other CO 'corrected' him, not with scripture, but with line item refs to a Watchtower volume of the past that 'proved' he was.

During the 'intermission' they both adjorned to the KH lib to seek the catachismic proof offered. When the session resumed the offending CO offered a brief apology for having mistated. Now we were all on the same page, and I imagine that all those who remain in the 'truth' from the group are convinced of Paul's postion - not by having been eyewitness to the 'proofs' , but by having been eyewitness to these two CO's confirming it in the Wt. I never saw either of them confirm it by scripture.

Jeff

• restrangled
    restrangled
    I would love to see the numbers broken down by language. How much would you be willing to bet that the English congregations are shrinking and Spanish & other languages are completely driving the 1% US increase?

Where I live there was a new hall built about 15 years ago..... major suburb of Orlando. There are 4 congregations sharing this hall. 1 Spanish, 2 English and 1 Korean. There are 2 entrance signs one on either side of the main drive. One in English and one in Korean. The english congregations are filled with at least 1/3 Jamaicans. So this might give you a small picture of whats happening.

r.

• rolling rock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit