What do you do in your free time?

by zagor 21 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

Just want to get some ideas. I haven't had much of a free time in last two years particularly last year or so, well till last week anyway. Recently, I've tried taking Latin dancing lessons but managed to get only to first session (well I'll go again this week but have already skipped two) this morning I've visited local sport center and tomorrow night I'm restarting my old flame as it were :) martial arts.

Why am I saying that? Because I've noticed how easily we get into routines of life that burn us out and taking time off for ourselves becomes a distant memory. But time off is truly a vital part of even our daily needs. It rejuvenates not only our bodies but I see now even our minds. It is way too easy to forget that, and coming out of cult that discouraged any free time as 'lack of spirituality’ we might be surprised to find that some deep part of us might even still consider it as 'inappropriate' so we might find ourselves being burned out for job and people around us that always need to be helped with something and as good Samaritans we usually offer ourselves. Of course, many people are grateful for our help (many aren’t) but that’s not the point. The point is our bodies simply need time off.

While at Uni I used to do lots of crazy things, extreme sports, martial arts, heck at earlier times I even found pleasure in writing and drawing, lol. But recently I started to wonder what happened to all of that. I mean we all work, build, create things, make money ….. All fine, the question is, to what end?!? Do we still enjoy that thing we call life or do we still in ‘good ol’ JW fashion wait for life in some ‘future’ when we are ‘really’ going to enjoy it?!
    To many people that means retiremnet, and the moment they thought they were going to enjoy it, doctor rings and tells them that latest test shows something strange and they better hurry to the clinic ... See my point?

Of course, there must be a balance in life, but even that word can pose a danger (not least because it is rhetoric used by WTBS). Word balance can sometimes to many people mean, NOT AT ALL. I see too often people burned for their jobs (that they can lose any moment anyway) for kids (who don’t appreciate much of anything you do for them) for spouse (who somehow forgets even so much as a simple ‘thank you’) list can go on and on.

So, I do believe, we have to voice here for our own time off. So, how do you do it? How do you find time for yourself? And most importantly what do you do for yourself?

And to add: What I've noticed with many people (myself included) that even time off can almost be taken as a chore, so we rush to holidays and back like mad or whatever we do we take set time table which in turn kills the fun part. So we almost try to trick ourselves that we enjoyed it but our bodies are telling us otherwise....

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I like to write. Stories, poems, and songs. Each time I put pen to paper I learn something new about the craft.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    What I've noticed with many people (myself included) that even time off can almost be taken as a chore, so we rush to holidays and back like mad or whatever we do we take set time table which in turn kills the fun part. So we almost try to trick ourselves that we enjoyed it but our bodies are telling us otherwise....

I dont know how long ago I decided that my time off work was very precious and how I spent it was up to me. After holidays, everyone asks what did you do, where did you go? etc etc.......and I tell them I enjoyed a lovely time at home by myself. And I do. I quit feeling like I had to do things becuase I felt they were required of me. Answering the phone just cuz it rings and even the doorbell, I don't do unless I want to.

I love to read, ride my bike, work in the yard, I guess I am a loner. Just from my interests.......hmmmmm

purps

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Free time??? What's that?

When I have free time (which is rare now that I'm in college) I meditate with my relaxing meditation CD. It's a form of reconnecting with myself. If I don't use my CD I do lots of visual meditation which is relaxing. If I have my son and my daughter is at my ex's house we go to a movie. If it's me and my daughter, we play "dress up" and I teach her how to relax and pamper herself.

Speaking of meditation, I should go do a bit now since I have about 15 mins and both kids are asleep.

Night all...

~Froggy~

• zagor
    zagor
    I meditate with my relaxing meditation CD.

While driving I love to listen to some celtic, alternative or even classical music, which does help a wee bit :)

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Oh I LOVE my celtic CD's...my favorite is Celtic Whispers...it's so relaxing. I also have Native American drums CD's.

• zagor
    zagor
    Oh I LOVE my celtic CD's...my favorite is Celtic Whispers...it's so relaxing. I also have Native American drums CD's.

Hey these are my favorite too, can I borrow that CD with Native American drums? you're one of very few people who love similar kind of music

• BrentR
    BrentR

I make custom knives and ancient replicas along with blacksmithing. I have a shop with lots of toys and enjoy machining and woodworking. What I enjoy the most is raising my daughter and seeing her living a very normal happy life. Mine was destroyed by the JW's/parents and it is very therapuetic for me to be able see my daughter enjoy going to school, birthdays, christmas etc. She will never have to knock on a single door or be made fun of at school because of being in a twisted, mind controlling cult.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I don't do anything I -should- like writing or listening to music or enriching myself much-I do read and I am trying to do the classics these days. They are NOT so easy to read. Bleak House is intense, but, well, bleak. Silas Marner is a very long read for being such a tiny little book. The House of Seven Gables is easier and more enjoyable-but I misplaced it. I think it is a childrens book since I am enjoying it. I love young peoples stories. Harry Potters biggest fan. Whenever I sit and do nothing but listen to music I think I should be DOING something. I love spanish guitar, but just sitting still for it is difficult for me-though I can sit still for a book if you give me a book and a chair. I should soak my feet every day-but that would require sitting and not getting up to fold clothes, make lunch for tomorrow or. . .you get it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When I can I knit or crochet. I used to read a lot and I miss that. With 4 kids there is always something to do so my free time pratically nil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit