Saying I love you foreign languages

by BlackSwan of Memphis 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hey Gaiagirl, that is really cool. (How'd you think of that? I like it)

Narkissos:

Which would you use in referring to your children? Or a child to his/her mother?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Which would you use in referring to your children? Or a child to his/her mother?

Je t'aime. (Except for the odd upper-class family that would use the formal "vous" addressing to one person.)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A term of endearment for any close relationship in Scot's Gaelic would be "mo graidh", especially in the locality I come from. It more accurately means "my dear" and is pronounced like "cry", with a rolled R. When telling someone you love them it might be phrased "tha graidh agad orm" (haa grrryy ag-ad orrrum).

http://www.galactic-guide.com/articles/2R95.html

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Merci beaucoup!

(I think I got that right )

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Leo took the one I was going to add.

Mahal Kita is from the national language of the Phillipines. It is has a Spanish influence

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    A term of endearment for any close relationship in Scot's Gaelic would be "mo graidh", especially in the locality I come from. It more accurately means "my dear" and is pronounced like "cry", with a rolled R. When telling someone you love them it might be phrased " tha graidh agad orm " (haa grrryy ag-ad orrrum).

Ok I really like both:

Which would say is a better fit:

I love You = Mo Graidh

I love You = Tha Graidh Agad Orm

I'm thinking go with the second, but which would you do?

(I like the way it rolls off the tongue)

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Jw: So, since it is Spanish influenced is it written as you spell it?

• Celia
    Celia

German:

Ich liebe dich (lovers) (and I believe you could say that to your child)

Ich mag dich sehr (friend)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It depends if it's a direct statement or a passing comment.

• Mo graidh = "my dear" or "my love"; you might say this in passing, while brushing a shoulder.
    • Tha graidh agad orm = "there is love I have for you"; transliterated, of course.

To be honest (being a little pedantic) I wouldn't be likely to use the latter as it's so direct, though it is accurate. If someone doesn't know you have affection from them by regular use of the word "graidh" and soft tone then they are obtuse

For example:

• Oiche bha = "good night"
    • Oiche bha, mo graidh = "good night, my dear"

Hope that helps.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Yeah, I definitely see your point. Mo Graidh seems more appropriate for parent child. Affectionate love, informal but still affectionate. (think I'm getting the hang of this)

thank you!

Celia:

Thank you for both, it gives me a better starting point then nothing, thats for certain!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit