by GetBusyLiving 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas

I'm so glad that you posted this GBL.

This is a 'MUST WATCH' DVD!

A real eye opener!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I don't have the quotes, but the last time I remember seeing any reference to GW in the WT publications must have been around the same time that the Global Warming Simpson-Jury movement started picking up steam, because the wording was more cautious than what had been used previously. It was along the lines of, "some people think" etc. Must have been around the early 00's.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I forgot what watchtower book I read this from:::::

But in the 40-50's they wrote some book, and it quoted a scientist that said that the earth would be so polluted by the late 60's that it could not hold life any more

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

well you've hit my sore spot for the day gbl.

While I was on my way out, I had an interesting discussion with my sister regarding the oil in Alaska. She was quite passionate in her thoughts regarding the animals that end up losing their habitat due to the oil drilling that they want to do.

These are her words...(for the most part as I remember them, I had a few drinks that night)

"If I wasn't a witness that's what I would be working to do something about that"

Yes, if she wasn't a witness she would do something.

I am certainly no saint since leaving, I get lazy about recycling and should try a little harder with other things, but I'm aware and I'm trying and I'm not going to wait around for God/dess to do something about it.

Besides, why on earth should Jehovah give them a new earth, when they aren't too concerned about taking care of this one???

I don't think their publications are made out of recycled paper. Or better yet, why not drop the publications, save some trees some misery and just use Bibles?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    While I was on my way out, I had an interesting discussion with my sister regarding the oil in Alaska. She was quite passionate in her thoughts regarding the animals that end up losing their habitat due to the oil drilling that they want to do.

I recycle too. I am compassionate to animals, and care about the env. too.

The thing I gotta ask the extremists is this: "If you are so concerned about the environment, why do you live in a house"?, "Do you realize how many insect, birds, trees were killed to put your house there?", "Do you know how many mammals were displaced or killed"?.

How many insects does an average person kill a day?.... stepping, swatting, spraying?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I haven't seen it. I'll have to look into it. By the way, is it in any way similar to the documentary "The End of Suburbia: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil"? That one was a real eye opener. It got me to look into quite a few topics such as the industrialization of our entire food system and topsoil depletion. I started to study concepts like sustainability and permaculture. While I can agree that the die-off and peak-oil crowds are on the fringe and simply cannot take into account all of the variables and human ingenuity, there is some truth to their warnings. (http://www.dieoff.org/ http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/) In my opinion it is better to be aware of the worst that could happen, because we simply don't know what will. One thing I do know, nature doesn't need 'us'. Despite the high levels of radioactivity, the depopulated zone around Chernobyl has rebounded ecologically, but it sure isn't safe for humans.

Compare this to the typical Witness approach: Complain that "the world" is too wicked. Blame Satan. Wait on Jehovah to do "something" about it (kill 6.5 billion people). Stick head back into sand.

Dave

• proplog2
    proplog2

I watched this campaign piece and didn't learn one single thing about global warming that I didn't know from reading scientific articles and watching Nova type programs. I would rather have seen Gore as president (minus Lieberman) than Bush. I am unhappy with the place both the Clinton and Bush administration has gotten us. The Nixon administration was probably better than any for earth friendly programs. Read Read Read. How dumb do we have to be to have a condescending arrogant politician tell us the "truth". The movie was like watching the Robots commenting on science fiction theater. Watch Al Gore as he contemplates the sorry state of affairs. Watch an Al Gore approved "idiot" cartoon that will explain to you how global warming works. Watch various head shots of Gore ad nauseum.... Oh well. If it works fine.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I recycle too. I am compassionate to animals, and care about the env. too.

The thing I gotta ask the extremists is this: "If you are so concerned about the environment, why do you live in a house"?, "Do you realize how many insect, birds, trees were killed to put your house there?", "Do you know how many mammals were displaced or killed"?.

How many insects does an average person kill a day?.... stepping, swatting, spraying?

<<looks over shoulder to the right>>

<<looks over shoulder to the left>>

<<laughs>>

You talkin' to me? Or someone else?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I was commenting on the extreme environmentalist. They cannot themself say that they have not hurt the earth

• BrentR
    BrentR

"Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself. "

USA Today

Peter Schweizer

12/7/2006

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit