"An Inconvenient Truth".. JW's are deluded

by GetBusyLiving 31 Replies latest jw friends

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hi everyone, hope you all are doing ok! Long time no talk..

Have any of you seen the new DVD "An Inconvenient Truth"? Its an environmental educational film that I think is quite good apart from Al Gore fan-boy rhetoric. Anywho, my girlfriend is pals with a JW at her work that said that we have nothing to worry about because God will soon "bring to ruin those ruining the Earth". We watched the movie and got a better sense of how to do our part in reducing carbon emissions and this JW thinks theres really no point in even trying because, quote, "one person can't change anything". I think JW's are going to love to try and spin this popular film with their apocalyptic agenda.

Have any of you seen this? What did you think?

GBL

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Have heard about the movie, not seen it. I think your comments about JW attitudes to this are right on. My mom doesn't like helping people in need, because that doesn't really 'help' them. The WT does that with its door to door work. She helps out with pet charities (I guess cause of all the pets who will be resurrected into the new system because they have the right heart condition? ). She does what suits her financially and for convenience. The only note she takes of the environment is to use it to be able to say that the earth is being ruined. . .yada yada yada, and god will bring to ruin those ruining the earth. Pfffffft.

Shelly

• return visitor
    return visitor
    this JW thinks theres really no point in even trying because, quote, "one person can't change anything".

I wish they applied this same reasoning to field service.

RV

• BrentR
    BrentR

I am more concerned about the earth ruining me with a volcano, earthquake, sunami, wind storm etc. Nature is not always very nice to us and I fail to see how people think it is fragile in any way. Going by how many people die each day from natural disasters us humans appear to be the fragile entity.

If a nuclear weapon can be detonated in Hiroshima just over fifty years ago and now there is a lush garden park there then that speaks volumes about how we really can't do much to the earth that is close to permanent damage.

The geologic history of the earth indicates that we have had an unusual warm period for the last 10-13,000 years and that is not the normal state of affairs here on the third rock. The normal geologic climate on earth is very cold and not very hospitable to most mammals.

As a former JW I have gotten very good at ignoring screeming neenies about how we are all going to die and the world will end on _____________(fill in the blank according to what religion you happen to be in).

The enviromental movement exhibits many of the same manifestations as a religion does. My BS detector has become very accurate over the years and I get the same high readings from enviromentalists that I do from JW's.

I don't like being preached to by any sort of movement or religion. According to the JW's I am a sinner because I don't go to Kingdumb halls any more and the enviromentalists say that I am sinner because I drive a car and don't always recycle.

For my own sanity I have to tune them both out.

• Carmel
    Carmel

You're absolutely right Brentr. Last night I put the car in the garage, closed the door and left the car run while I slept in the back seat. All those phoney stories about it causing death are just made up. Everyone in their heart of hearts knows there is no such thing as carbon monoxide! See! I'm here typing this response as living proof that C0 poisoning is just a liberal hoax! caveman

• Kudra
    Kudra

BrentR,

Please elaborate more on this "unusually warm period of the last 13,000 - 10,000 years"...

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Using Al Gore as the talking head was a fatal error in my opinion. He is just not believable as being unbiased particularly when he feels the necessity to include a swipe at Bush because he won the election.

Hypocritically he also bemoans politicians and lawyers. This from a man who tied up the US election process for months and eventually made the selection of a US President dependant on a court decision. The only problem is finding a person whose credibility has not been compromised by greed.

Is there a problem? Absolutely. Last I heard the Gulf of Mexico had a 900 sq mile dead spot where nothing could live because of high CO2 concentrations. Will everyone chip in and help conserve? Not as long as they prefer conspicuous consumption.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Actually, oxygen isotope ratios in ancient sediments indicate that human burning of fossil fuels within the last 300 years has increased the CO2 levels in the atmosphere to the highest levels experienced anytime since the Cretacesous (i.e. 65 million years ago), when the global climate was quite warm indeed. There was a falloff in CO2 during much of the Cenezoic, which may have contributed to the repeated glaciations observed during that era. As George Bush Sr, the "environmental President" might have said (but didn't)...high CO2, BAD!

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

It reminds me of the illustration of the two goldfish, one goldfish turned to the other and said , today I’m going to be an atheist, the other one turned and said that’s ok. But who is going to change the water

In this world we can’t do as a country exactly what we want to without it effecting the rest of mankind, and in the end someone of greater stature than lets say George Bush/Tony Blair will have to do some big big repairs.

KT

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The JW comment sounds like typical Psyco-Fundi-Christian thinking. You have to remember that they look forward to the destruction of the earth and anything that will make that happen more quickly is good news to them.

This is why Pat Robertson and his other Psyco-Fundi-Christian buddies are adamantly opposed to any form of environmental reform. The sooner they can destroy the earth the sooner they will get their heavenly reward.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit