JW dress fads

by rassillon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• rassillon
    rassillon

I was just looking at the Revelation book and some of the illustrations reminded me of some of the dress fads which I have seen growing up as a JW. What fads did you see at the halls?

The one that got me to thinking was the sun dress on page 51.

I used to hate those....not that I wore them (i am a man, man) but they just looked like house dresses or night gowns and when old women wore them and showed their white veined legs. ICK ICK ICK

And they did nothing for the girls with hot bods. ;)

On a secondary note....where did the little blond girl come from and did the Japanese women really go in service in kimonos?

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I can't think of the picture right now you are talking about. I might have to dig mine out when I get home.

I noticed in our hall you couldnt get away with a dress above your ankles so girls started wearing dresses especially tight because you could get away with that easier. And if they mentioned it -- you just say you gained weight..LOL

Its interesting to see how women dress going to church now. They'll wear a skirt just at their knee and a sweater or something. They actually look much more modest and conservative than the JWs were wearing.. only they have more style.. imagine that .. lol

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I always dug the Four-in-hand tie with the ufinished Windsor knot...ala' ascot style...

<barf>

The same moron used to bad-eye me for wearing a good pair of boots and Stetson hats....

~Hill

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The most annoying JW fad I noticed was that of wearing a blue shirt with a light brown suit. At any given time you could walk into a kingdom hall and see half of the brothers™ dressed like that.

I don't care what anyone says, blue shirts do not work with brown suits. They only make the wearer look like an idiot.

W

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I remember in our area all the bro's wore a blue shirt with yellow tie, every one of them. Then came the shiny tie fad during the "Who Want's to Be a Millionaire" days.

When I was a young teen Looney Toons ties were real big, I must have owned 10 of them. Then the bro's counceled us on wearing "commercialized" ties with worldy characters on them, nipped that little fad in the bud but quick.

• ttbeachbum
    ttbeachbum

Oh boy do I remember the blue shirts with brown suits, lol...

• james_woods
    james_woods

As crazy as it may sound nowadays, back in the late 60s to early 70s in Oklahoma City there came an idiotic "tie width rules" complete with "tie width police".

It seems that really wide paisley ties were all the hippie fashion, so the tie police nazis made the rule that the tie could not be over 2 1/4 inches in width and a "general tie pattern" subjective ruling was made on basis of loud colors or patterns.

Later it came about that many of the young black brothers got into the "Malcolm X" look with those really really skinny ties only about 1/2" wide. As it turned out, some of us white guys picked up on it and did really really skinny ties to get back at the tie cops. So, for white guys only, a minimum width of 1" came about. The black guys were left alone about it, I suppose because the tie police were all white.

There was also quite a bit of contraversy over pastel colored dress shirts - the tie police thought they were worldly. Until the new circuit overseer showed up with a pastel dress shirt.

So, the tie police gave up on that and focused their attention on banning white shoes and belts - they looked a little too much like TV evangalists, especially when many of the midaged elders got into that and wore them up on the platform at assemblies.

• undercover
    undercover

When I was a young teen Looney Toons ties were real big, I must have owned 10 of them. Then the bro's counceled us on wearing "commercialized" ties with worldy characters on them, nipped that little fad in the bud but quick.

Ah yes...I got called on the carpet a time or two for the very same thing.

As crazy as it may sound nowadays, back in the late 60s to early 70s in Oklahoma City there came an idiotic "tie width rules" complete with "tie width police".

It seems that really wide paisley ties were all the hippie fashion, so the tie police nazis made the rule that the tie could not be over 2 1/4 inches in width and a "general tie pattern" subjective ruling was made on basis of loud colors or patterns.

Later it came about that many of the young black brothers got into the "Malcolm X" look with those really really skinny ties only about 1/2" wide. As it turned out, some of us white guys picked up on it and did really really skinny ties to get back at the tie cops. So, for white guys only, a minimum width of 1" came about. The black guys were left alone about it, I suppose because the tie police were all white.

There was also quite a bit of contraversy over pastel colored dress shirts - the tie police thought they were worldly. Until the new circuit overseer showed up with a pastel dress shirt.

So, the tie police gave up on that and focused their attention on banning white shoes and belts - they looked a little too much like TV evangalists, especially when many of the midaged elders got into that and wore them up on the platform at assemblies.

We never had "width-of-tie" rules...until Miami Vice was big on television. Then a lot of the young brothers fancied themselves as Don Johnson. They got the pastel or white suit with the oversized jacket and either the real skinny, leather tie or the "t-shirt under the jacket" look. I remember one MS who had a part on the assembly had to go buy some socks because he tried to emulate the loafer-no sock look. Needless to say, there was more than one service meeting part on dress and grooming back during that fad.

Back in the late 60s, early 70s a friend of my family got in trouble for wearing "flared" dress pants for an assembly part. This was when the hippie/hip generation was starting to influence clothing styles across the board all the way up to the conservative suits. This brother was not allowed to wear the "flared" dress pants on stage for his part. He had to borrow some pants to change into.

Pastel shirts were never a problem with suits...but dark colored dress shirts with suits caused a stir. I remember the first dark shirt I wore with a suit. It was dark grey, the suit black, the tie blood red and grey. You would've thought that I had committed some big, heinous crime...and this was in 1993, not that long ago when you think about it.

• pobthespazz
    pobthespazz

When i went to the States a few years ago the sisters were wearing these flesh coloured tights even the hot ones , never seen in the uk ,

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    the tie police thought they were worldly.

Yes, I remember the tie police. They were constantly on my ass for wearing bright ties. One day I took more than the usual offense at their "policing" of my ties, and decided a statement had to be made. I went out and bought a tie of flourescent flowers. It was the most hideous tie I ever owned, but a statement had to be made. I wore it to the next meeting, and an elder came up to me and said, "Your tie! it's...it's...it'sssss..." and all he could do was stutter. They never bothered me about my ties again. I think it was a well spent $20.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit