Out of Mythic into Rational consciousness, the EX-JW Journey

by jst2laws 123 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hillary:

I would really like to understand where this transference from science and philosophy to the mystic and 'religious' leads us.

I'm interested in why you would lump philosophy with science, rather than with religion, mysticism and interior design.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Kid-A,

Those neurological studies were made on people who spoke a language, didn't they? Their neurological response was shaped (over generations) by the (social, cultural, linguistical) need to respond to "either green or blue" situations. Yet the colours overlap as the diagram shows.

What would be interesting is to study the neurological response of people with different languages, implying a different categorising of colours (for instance, in ancient Hebrew there seems to have been a smaller vocabulary for colours, "white" applying to light yellow or brown). There's a good chance that the results would be different.

Edit: Ross' example of "jade blue" is interesting, as in French it is called "jade green".

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Frankie,

Thank you for your post.

It was the color red I use but unimportant. But I think you missed something in the use of my color illustration, perhaps it is my writting style or lack of, I would like to clarify useing your illustration. While both drivers will be in agreement that the light is green(assuming both are not color blind) and use it as a signal to go, but it in no way is this proof that the visual sensation experienced in the 2 seperate minds is the same, it may well be, but since color does not really exist concretely in light and is only a mind interpetation.

My illustration was actually not inspired by your own comment on color, as this argument ( what I may describe as a color may not be your perception of it ) is a philosphical argument that has been discussed for well over 100 years. I used it to try to illustrate that though using language to to describe such enormous concepts, as Narkissos noted, is a little like trying to perform brain surgey with a Black and Decker drill, there is a commonality of use that helps us to understand the boundaries of the concepts that we are discussing.

Science, philosophy, mysticism and religion all have different definitions and though their boundaries may sometimes overlap slightly the commonality of usage and understanding best helps us understand important elements of this whole subject.

I have no issue with the scientific concept of quantum physics, I have no issue with the philosophic concepts of quantum physics, but I do have issues with the mystic and religious elements injected into it. Imho, at that stage the concepts of quantum physics become imbued with a 'human' element that cannot be sustained by the scientific and philosophic elements previously noted.

I hope the above makes sense, as this is a huge subject.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LT,

I'm interested in why you would lump philosophy with science, rather than with religion, mysticism and interior design.

Well, if you had actually read my post you might understand why.

In my posts above I note that all these disciplines relate closely to the subject of Quantum Physics. We see elements of all these disciplines in its various stages, from the embryonic scientific, through the philosophical into mysticism and religion. I am positing, as does Janeen Hunt in her book, that numerous scientists looking for a 'modern faith' go beyond science and philosophy in pushing the bounds of Quantum Mechanics onto very thin ice.

Interior design has nothing to do with any of these disciplines, or with quantum physics, that is why it was not mentioned. If you would like to start a new thread entitled 'Quantum Physics and the Interior Design Imperative' it might make for interesting reading though.

Cheers - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

Your language skills are magnificent beyond envy.

Edit: Ross' example of "jade blue" is interesting, as in French it is called "jade green".

Is your French jade-green, actually the same color as would be noted in the Scottish jade-blue when measured scientifically? This is surely a matter of language, but the commonality of practical usage would be the same internationally?

HS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:
    Jade comes in a number of colours, so I chose one that is less common to support your point.

Nowadays we have the benefits of a Dulux colour chart, but couples still get into a tiz when discussing what shade to paint the bathroom!

Hillary:I came, I read, I conquered. So in your opinion is philosophy nearer to a science or an art?

IMHO quantum physics has a direct bearing on interior design, just as entanglement theory has a direct bearing on the modern design of deckchairs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

HS,

LOL. We'll have to compare our colour-books when I meet Ross.

Meanwhile, this might be interesting: http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~kay/tics.pdf

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

boy can i relate..........anytime i pick up anything written by Stephen Hawkings i experience profound shifts in my conciousness..........it shows me just how little i do know and how much i've been conditioned by what i was taught as truth and reality.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LT,

I came, I read, I conquered

So in your opinion is philosophy nearer to a science or an art?

In the framework of this discussion ( quantum physics ) philosophy is the natural progression from its scientific base.

Outside of this framework, in my opinion it is closer to the art of science.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

LOL. We'll have to compare our colour-books when I meet Ross.

lol.....Yes, but choose a sunny day.

Meanwhile, this might be interesting: http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~kay/tics.pdf

This is a fascinating study - thank you for the bluecobalt ultramarine colored link.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit