Who thinks Killing or Dying for your country is a good Idea?

by new boy 79 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    This is our generation's war, not my daughter's or granddaughter's war.

...and our parent's war was vietnam, and their parent's war was ww2, and their parent's war was ww1. the time to stop is NOW, not in the future. the future doesn't exist.

tetra

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    You tell me - what will happen to us then? Do you think the rest of the world will join us in our new "make love not war" policy?

ever notice how dumb violent people attract other dumb violent people? and smart peaceful people attract other smart peaceful people?

tetra

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

tetra,

I would agree with you on that if it was a perfect world but it is not. And man is hell bent on dominating other man and they are more concerned with power than peace. The way things stand in the world today we will totally self destruct unless there is either 1. an act of God to change the world or 2. man will succeed in wiping out most of humanity and those left will learn from that mistake and make real peace.

I am not pro-war at all, don't get me wrong. But I cannot see any change in our future and every country has to have an army to protect it. It is a fact of this life. And I hope that a higher power will intervene some day BEFORE man decides on the 2nd option. Lilly

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

In most cases the I would answer No!

Situations like the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam war or the invasion of Iraq I would not be willing to die for my country's decision to go to war with those countries. If an aggressive nation invaded the US I would say a big maybe, it all depends on what was at stake, under the right circumstances yes, but I would have to be sure what I was fighting for, if it was for a noble cause probably, but I would think very hard about it.

To me one form of government verses another form, fighting over who is going to rule over a particular piece land, collect the taxes and what have you is not worth dying for. Like the song that says something like:"meet the new boss same as the old boss" Basically it is the rich that call the shots anyway, all government have their good and bad points.So in most cases I probably wouldn't.

• kid-A
    kid-A

This is our generation's war, not my daughter's or granddaughter's war.

What "war" are you referring to? George Bush's "war on terror"? That isn't a war, its a republican slogan. As for what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, those are more akin to "police actions" attempting to control the chaos left over from Bushs pre-emptive invasions. They are not "wars" in any sense of the word. You cannot go to "war" against terrorism, because the very nature of terrorism PRECLUDES it from that definition. You do not even understand nor know who your enemy is, beyond some abstract concept of "the radical muslim". Its as absurd a notion as "The War on Cancer" because you are ultimately dealing with an ever evolving and changing enemy that cannot be defeated.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Kid A-

You made some very good points in your last comment. Lilly

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

Can you trust the rulership or the judgement of everything your countries rulers do?

I can't, I think in most cases their judgement is based on something other than preserving freedom.

There are countries that are not militaristic and provide a measure of security for their people and they negociate peace with their neighbors.

The US would rather shoot first and than ask later why there is a problem, this current US President doesn't deserve the sacrifice of one life.

OC

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hi lilly,

i understand that you are not pro-war.

I would agree with you on that if it was a perfect world but it is not.

this is one place where we disagree, i guess. i believe that the world, in all it's tragic horridness, and illuminated beauty, is indeed perfect.

And man is hell bent on dominating other man and they are more concerned with power than peace.

yes, true! but this is also like saying that because other people are violent, and suffering, that we should also be violent and suffer too, imo. and to me, this is unacceptable.

The way things stand in the world today we will totally self destruct unless there is either 1. an act of God to change the world or 2. man will succeed in wiping out most of humanity and those left will learn from that mistake and make real peace.

or 3. everyone has a change of mind and starts being peaceful. you see, we don't need a big catastrophy to learn a lesson. the last 50 000 years of ape violence should be enough.

i don't believe in any Gods other than ourselves. perhaps this is another place we disagree. but what i do believe in, is human potentiality in the now.

revolutions, including the peaceful ones, don't happen in the future. they happen now. the now is where revolutions get steam from. i believe that all it would take is a shift in understanding in people to begin living in the now, instead of the future, for there to be world peace. silly thought of mine? well, try it~! :)

But I cannot see any change in our future and every country has to have an army to protect it. It is a fact of this life.

it's not a fact, it's a tradition. traditions are rules. rules can be reviewed and broken. all it takes is will and dedication. i know people can do it, because i did it, and so many people i know have done it.

peace,

tetra

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

tetra,

I agree that we don't need violence to solve problems and that would not be my way in solving anything. If the rest of the world shared in your views we would need no armies for protection as there would be no wars. I'm glad you are the way you are and I am totally with you, but we have to convince the rest of the world and that is where I think we need divine intervention. And if like you said, man is "a god" and indeed we do know he is "lord of the earth", for all things on earth are subject to him - then man should once and for all stop his destructive course before it is too late. Peace, Lilly

• Jourles
    Jourles

I would never give my life for my country or any other country for that matter.

I would give it up to save another human being, regardless of race, ethnicity, or religion. Yes, even including a JW(though they have the resurrection hope).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit