"Have a blessed day" - How does that make you feel?

by wanderlustguy 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

of course, there are some people who use "blessed" to just mean "happy" and you may be reading too much into it. Now, if I was not a Christian and someone called and left a message "blessing" me during my day on MY home machine, I may be offended. But after all, you called this person's private phone and he has the right to put whatever message he wants on it. For all you know, if he is a Christian, he may have intended the message for all his Christians friends. Just wanted to show the other side of the coin, Lilly

P.S. I totally agree many Christians are very obnoxious about their faith and do try to forcefully preach to others. I am not one of them.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Perhaps you would prefer, "Screw you and the horse you rode in on." Sheesh! Some people are wrapped just way too tight, or are completely prejudiced against anything with a Christian conotation as the following excerpt of a post demonstrates:

On the other hand some of my friends in the wiccan/pagan or new age community will end an e-mail with "Brightest Blessings" or "Blessed Be". I myself may end an e-mail with something similar. That doesn't bother me at all, for me it's a different energy, a different vibe that I am personally comfortable with.

Why not just take the statement in the positive light that it is usually intended in? Why does everything have to be offensive? Perhaps you would like people to stop saying good bye, since it is a contraction of God be with you. Oh wait, let me guess, that is not the conotation of the word now. Perhaps adios should be expunged from the vocabulary, also?

This appears to me, just another manifestation of the "tyranny of the minority." Just because a minority of people are offended by something, it can no longer be said or done.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

From MY experience with people who use "blessed" in their salutations I get two extremes in my head,an image of an much older, probably widowed woman, or a younger person who really is overly cheery. And those whose say it and are under 75 y.o. come across, in MY head, as none too bright.

• Scully
    Scully

This appears to me, just another manifestation of the "tyranny of the minority." Just because a minority of people are offended by something, it can no longer be said or done.

Yet the "tyranny of the majority" is quite all right, isn't it? Just because a million people do something that a thousand people do not do, does not automatically give the "majority" the right to inflict their practices on those who don't. And it doesn't make it wrong for the "minority" to question why the "majority" of people do the things they do.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Personally, it doesn't bother me. Why would I spend any time worrying about it? If someone feels like saying it, don't bother me none.

• detective
    detective

I used to only hear it sporadically but nowadays I feel like I am hearing constantly. At first it didn't bother me, but now it's beginning to strike a nerve. I don't know if it's my line of work or not, but I'd say I'm hearing it, at least once a day now.

More often than not it's a sneezeless, "god bless you" in lieu of the gold standard of goodbyes: "have a nice day". Is that really a decent substitute? When I say "have a nice day", I might not even really mean it- it might just roll off my tongue absent-mindedly. You know what that is? That's awesome! I think about all of the times I have said, "have a nice day" and I ask myself... am I really committing to what I'm saying? I mean, do I really feel strongly that this person have a nice day? Will I be distraught if this person has a not-so-nice day? How will I know if they are having a nice day? Should I do a follow-up phone call to check?

But this "god bless you" thing that's all the rage.. well, frankly, if you're going to be bringing god into it- I expect you to really mean it. It can't be cursory. If we're not talking a post-sneeze "bless you" then you really had better commit to asking your lord to bless me. You can't request a half-arsed blessing for a stranger from the very Creator his/herself! You need to crave that blessing- you're the one invoking his lordship- make it count! I mean, you don't want to say "may god bless you" to the lady behind the counter at the donut shop who just served you lukewarm coffee when a "have a nice day" would really be more fitting to the situation, do you? What? May god bless her with warmer coffee pots, maybe? And goodness knows- she works at a donut shop- I think she probably feels blessed enough, don't you think?

And heaven forbid...how many times have I encountered a rude person and uttered under my breath "have a nice day" in a sarcastic manner?

How many of these god-blessers are really sarcastically thinking "Well, god bless you, missy!" Something to think about...hmm?

Truth is, I usually say "you too" when someone assumes a higher power needs to be involved in a basic "see you later" -type of scenario. But that's just because I haven't yet found a way to work "she sure has!", "Satan always does!" or "Allah be with you too" into the conversation without offending the "blesser". But I'd really hate to offend someone "blessing" me with their beliefs by pointing out that I might have completely different beliefs. After all, it was never about wishing me well, was it? Not really. Maybe they should have just wished me "have a nice(ish) day" and been done with it.

• Johnny
    Johnny

Don't understand how this would upset anyone (short of perhaps an atheist). I don't see anything wrong with it.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I had a JW elder get ticked off every time he heard " I'll be there if God is willing" He said, Of course God is willing for them to be there he explained. Meaning the meetings at the KH.

• daystar
    daystar

Well, I consider that the person is trying to be nice, but it does annoy me just a bit. It's hard to explain why. It just seems cheesy and presumptuous. Mainly presumptuous.

To turn this around a bit, how do you Christians feel when pagans tell you "Bright Blessings" or "Blessed be!". Or better yet, how about "Ave Satanus!"

• Jourles
    Jourles
    "Have a blessed day" - How does that make you feel?

The absolute first thing that pops into my head is, "Thank god I'm not dealing/speaking with a JW here."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit