"Have a blessed day" - How does that make you feel?

by wanderlustguy 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

I can just hear it now.

"Have a blessed day!"

"And may Lucifer kiss your childrens' brows each morning too ma'am!"

Holy schikeys! Hmm... I've got balls, but I don't think I'll be trying this out anywhere near where I live anytime soon.

• anewme
    anewme

I agree with others that the greeting implies alot.

First, those who have been influenced by religion are under the impression that THEY MUST EARN GOD'S LOVE AND AFFECTION. They work hard each day to EARN God's help by performing acts they deem worthy of Gods attention and thinking thoughts and restricting themselves in hopes God will look upon them with mercy and kindness and bestow blessings on his favorite ones on earth.

So, this greeting is rather irritating to those who believe that Gods love extends to all his creatures regardless of their clean undies or orderliness of their closets or how many times they left a few items for others at sales, because it stirs the inner question "Do I deserve it?"

The attempts at saintliness by many to achieve attention from God belies (in my current opinion) an erroneous belief in an unseen secret pact between them and God to be his special buddy and hence to receive help and "blessings".
    The many stories in the Bible of the famous patriarchs, such as Noah, Abraham, Jacob/Israel, Isaac, Joseph, and many others would lend a reader to believe that God does takes a personal interest some and has favorites.

I am not saying we should view these religious blessing bestowers as wrong or mislead.
    I am only saying this greeting seems to stem from deep beliefs influenced by their religion.
    And also they are trying hard to be nice and get Gods favor themselves by it.
    Sort of a "pay it forward" blessing. "Im blessed, so Im going to request God to bless you too!"
    This implies that God is his good buddy and grants his requests.

On the other hand, there are those of us forming new thoughts about Gods involvement in our lives.
    Personally, I am leaning towards the view that God has filled the world with many good things and some come my way and others do not. I am developing a grateful attitude for all that comes to me and all that fills the world.
    Just being alive is a great "blessing".
    Some days bring good things. Some days bring bad things.
    But, God is always good.
    God is always blessing.

Another thought:
    Do we ask the cat if he has been good and deserves his food?
    No, we love our cat and feed him regardless of his actions and thoughts that day.

Do we ask of the starving Third World, what acts of kindness have you performed? Have you misused your "pee-pees" in any way? Have you had hateful thoughts towards your neighbor?
    No! We see fellow humans in trouble and we give them what they need, food, clothing, shelter.

Why do we assume God who has everything is so small to require a certain saintly religious character of us before he likes us? Maybe we would be shocked to learn he likes alot of people who are far from saintly!

Actually I can think even of Bible characters who were far from saintly that God seemed to care for.

Man's Religions and its revered religious books interfere with so much truth and spiritual progress in our lives.
    I am using my own God given conscience so much more these days than I ever did as a JW (when I had to have my Watchtower and Awake index at hand to know what to do)

I guess for someone to wish you "a blessed day" should be no more insulting than wishing you "good luck!"
    And hey, who would refuse a well wish?

Just some thoughts,

Anewme

• M.J.
    M.J.

Just laugh it off. Some people get so worked up about things.

• evetteto
    evetteto

GO TROJANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit