I MOVED OUT!

by airwlk149 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dimples
    Dimples

Katie,

Leaving the JW's is a big step, I am proud of your strength and courage. Wishing you the best on your new journey in life.

Hugs,

Dimples

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Good for you! I just hope you do come up with a plan. I moved out at 18 too and ended up having to move back in 3 months later. Nothing is worse than that.

Eventually, friends get tired of you freeloading, suddenly you're running out of money and you start psycho analyzing your situation a little better.

So if anything else, make sure you come up with some kind of plan.

• gumby
    gumby
    So if anything else, make sure you come up with some kind of plan.

She could always be one of my many concubines. I have a mansion on the ocean, millions of dollars, and a corvette......a red one!....................and I'm impotent. All I want is my feet rubbed once in awhile.

Seriously.....hope all is going well.

Gumby

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Very good on your past few years...for those who are reading this & are going on 18... I wish someone could have given me this advice when I was 18 and wanted out of my JW family....Here are some "Facts of Life" Get a job(s).

Move in with a reliable roommate(s) (same sex) to save on bills. Buy your furniture at Goodwill, Salvation Army, the newspaper (for new mattress).

Do NOT get a VISA/MC. Those companies are praying on young people like you, and will give you alot of credit. Learn about credit card debt. Being late on a few payments will scar you for 7 years. Being bankrupt is devasting. (everyone, please back me up on this one).

OK to get US government backed student loans. Low interest rates. As long as you study something that you love, you will probably make enough money to pay it back. Ok to get a small carpayment - one that is less than 10% of your take-home pay.

Read the book "Maiden Voyage" (Trust me on this one).

Date alot, and use reliable birth control. Nothing worse than having to move back in with the JW parents with a kid in tow from your apostacy days....

Do NOT date anyone married, on drugs, who drinks alot, or has a DUI. All of these people will use & abuse you more than the Society ever did.

Do NOT get a DUI. It's about $8,000 between increased insurance rates & court fees (and that's for the 1st offense). Also, you'll have alot harder time becoming qualified to work in a number of jobs, including driver, lawyer, nurse, doctor, pharmacist.

Get into college. Learn something you'd LOVE to do for the rest of your life. If you like plants, study them & open a nursery/landscaping business. If you like animals, study them & be a vet/dog clipper/etc. If you want to save the planet, become a scientist (like a hydrogeologist who examines/cleans up toxic waste dumps).

I grew up JW, and sympathize with wanting to be "free". But, remember the words of a famous, though now dead, rocker named Janis Joplin, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." Being 18, you're about to start taking on responsibilities...such as a rent payment, food payments, college. Adulthood is NOT about freedom, it's about mastering responsibilities. Prove to your family that you can make it.

Skeeter1

• LDH
    LDH

Hey there Aj's mama! Hope you're doing ok.

I just re-read my words from 5 years ago, and DAMN. I was smart then too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit