I'm out of kleenexes

by gwyneth 24 Replies latest jw friends

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

My friend's ex-husband was killed instantly in a car accident on Sunday. Besides having a huge crush on him that lasted two years of high school and visiting them for a few years as a married couple, I really didn't have much contact with him after their divorce. My daughter actually probably knew him better in recent years than I did, as she would accompany their daughter Tori to his house on his weekends for four-wheeling, fishing, etc.

I have never been to a viewing before. Last night, I went to the funeral home and stood in line for an hour to get to the room where the casket was. The whole time I was in line, I cried. Not sobbing or anything, but a steady leak of tears and runny nose that was conspicuous. My friend who had been married to him said, "Are you OK?" as I passed by her in a reception room. I said, "Yes." She said, "You don't look OK," and a fresh stream of tears started. She hugged me and said, "Oh, I know you loved him too. Remember in high school when you [did that embarrassing thing that showed how much of a crush you had on him?]" And the thing was, I wasn't crying because I loved him. I was crying because he left behind a sweet 14-year old daughter who will never go four-wheeling with him again, who won't attend her graduation or wedding or see her children, whose life was cut short tragically and senselessly, whose father was weeping audibly and saying, "Why?" over and over. I cried because his birthday was 3 weeks ago, and they had a smiling picture of him and Tori with his cake that said, "Happy 37th Birthday, Dad." I cried because Tori was acting so grown up, thanking people for coming and hugging them and bringing cards and flowers to the casket. I cried because my daughter, who usually shows no emotions at all, burst into tears when we came into the room with the open casket. I have never seen someone who has passed on before. He was just so....still. I can't shake the image.

My daughter wouldn't eat last night and was subdued. She didn't go to school today because she told me she was too sad. I told her I didn't want to go to the funeral today, because if it was anything like last night, I would lose it. She, however, seemed to need to do this, so I sucked it up and went. With sunglasses.

As soon as the preacher started quoting scripture, the tears began, and didn't stop. I felt like a goober.

Again, I wasn't prostrate with grief or loud or drawing too much attention to myself except for the relentlessly wet eyes and cheeks and constant sniffling, but does it seem inappropriate for someone who doesn't know the deceased all that well to cry so much at a funeral? I felt so self-conscious and even ashamed, and tried to think of other things to take my mind off of it, but nothing worked for long. I certainly wasn't the only person who had tears, but most of the other people who were crying were related to him in some way. I am nobody of importance to the family.

I've used five kleenexes to write this. It's baffling to me to be so affected.

LAWSON, JR., JIMMIE BENSON, 37, of Sorrento, died on Sunday, November 26, 2006. He was born in Apopka and was a lifelong resident of Sorrento. He was a painter for an electric company. He is survived by his parents, Betty and Jimmie Benson Lawson, Sr. of Sorrento; his daughters, Tori of Mount Dora and Britney of New Smyrna Beach; brother, Danny (Lisa) of Tavares; his loving girlfriend, Brenda Lamardo and her three children, Amber, Alyssa and Lexi. Graveside Services will be held from Greenwood Cemetery of Eustis on Thursday at 11AM with Dr. Alan Holden officiating. Friends may call at the funeral home on Wednesday from 6-8PM. Hamlin & Hilbish
    Funeral Directors, 326 East Orange Avenue, Eustis, FL, is in charge of arrangements. 352-357-4193.
    Published in the Orlando Sentinel on 11/29/2006.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Oh, Honey. I'm so sorry. Hugs and strength and peace to you.

Love,
    Baba.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sorry to hear of your tragic experience with death. It all doesn't make sense. You can be there for his daughter, as she will need supprt and compassion in the days ahead.

Don't know what else to say except you are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I totally understand where you're coming from. I had a friend of the family pass away this last year in Iraq. I didn't know him well, but his family and mine have been unofficial "family" for a long long time. In fact, our mothers went to high school together and have been best friends ever since.

I really didn't know him personally all that well, but attended his military funeral at the graveside. Like you, I couldn't stop the tears. I cried for the loss of a wonderful human being in his own right, and for all the family and loved ones left behind to cope with the loss. I cried because he was so brave and an American hero. I cried because I knew how much his Mother loved him. I cried because my husband is in the military and it forced me to consider the possibility of him being called away from me.

I don't think a single person would think of you badly because of your expression of sadness. If it were me as a family member, it would make my heart a little better to know how loved and appreciated he was. We all mourn in different ways and for different reasons. You are absolutely entitled to your own brand of grief and to be able to work through it in whatever way helps you.

***BIG HUGS***

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Gwyneth something just "hit you" and made you cry it all out. I remember my sister telling me how she never cried when she found out she had breast cancer, she didn't cry during the chemo, or when she lost her hair; but when she found out that Gene Siskel of the team "Siskel and Ebert" had died from cancer, she just started crying and crying. She was overwhelmed with grief. She didn't even know him. Of course, she would watch his movie reviews, but she didn't think that his death would have such a profound of affect on her.

Since my own mother's recent death, I haven't cried or grieved like I thought I would. I know that it's going to be some strange thing that hits me and I'm going to be bawling like a baby and people will be looking at me strange.

Hang in there! They say that crying is supposed to be a healing thing.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Sorry gywneth,

Sorry to hear about your friend. The first time I ever seen anyone at a funeral home was my Grandmother, way back in 1968. I can recall how I felt, and what I saw there as if it were yesterday. It's indelibly inscribed in my mind.

It's awful when people die so tragically. Hope you feel better soon.

Dismembered

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Im so sorry to hear of your pain. Its odd what hits you. You never know until it actually happens.

• Jourles
  • Gill
    Gill

(((((((((( Gwyneth ))))))))))))

You should hear the story of my Sister going to her boyfriend's grandmother's funeral! she'd never met the lady and cried more than anyone else.

These are tragically sad occassions. Your actions will be understood and excused and NO you did not over react. You reacted, as you reacted!

You may well find, that you recover from your loss in a very balanced way. Crying is healing! I think you were probably crying for all those left behind, rather than the lost one!

Take care!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Such a sad tragedy. Dont feel guilty for crying, there's nothing wrong with grieving. You did know him, and attended school with him, and even loved him at one time. There's nothing wrong with shedding tears at a funeral. JW funerals always seemed so cold to me, most people didnt cry. When my own grandma died back in 2003, the memorial service was very somber, only one other person besides myself cried. My dad did wipe a few tears from his eyes. To me, a funeral where few people cry just seems unnatural. A friend of mine in Kentucky lost her 4 year old boy to drowning back in 2002, it was the most sad funeral I have ever attended. Even the preacher was wailing as he prayed. I cried enough tears to mop the floor, nothing ever impacted so much as seeing that little 4 year old boy laying in the casket. Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit