What was your final straw that broke your back in terms of doctrine?

by ukescott 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SB
    SB

First, it was the whole 607/1914 deal. then, i started reading about pyramidology and C.T. Russell's involvement w/that. i didn't fully believe that story until i saw pictures of the grave site. it really creeped me out that my solid beliefs, were created by a late 1800's crazy man/cult leader. then, as i started backing away and slowly became (still am) "inactive", the breaking point was realizing all the false friends i had, and how quickly they give up my friendship. out of sight out of mind is what i became/have become.

"by this all will know that you are my diciples if you have love among yourselves".

SB

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

For myself, it wasn't really any specific teaching - but how both the WT and elders (learning from the WT) speak out of both sides of their mouth when it suits them.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

My last straw was reading the J-Dub Trinity brochure, and then reading Robert Bowman's book Why You Should Believe in the Trinity. I took both the book and the booklet to the central library in Los Angeles, and began to do the research, and after the first chapter of the Trinity brochure demonstrated that it was written by the sloppiest & laziest researchers or the most deceptive manipulators, I decided to leave the JWs for good, and never look back.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

doctrine+hypocracy+secrecy= UN cover-up. that's what started me looking into everything else and going to chapters to buy a bible NOT written by fred franz. then reading the bible with a clear, unbiased mind and realizing many of their theological ideals were unfounded.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

a) lack of love started it
    b) finding real love in a Christian church added to it
    c) Crisis of Conscience (recommended by my anointed mother) ended it
    It was so funny - I was toying with the idea of reading it, but my blood pressure would go up in total panic when I even went to Amazon to think about getting it. Then my mom (a sister in good standing) says "You should read this book. I just bought it." Oh boy!!!

• done4good
    done4good

For many years there were things that I questioned or flatly disagreed with. However, I tolerated them, as many here have probably had a similar experience with. I stopped attending after I began to sense that poor personal decision making was largely a result of WTS indoctrination. At that time, there was no "doctrine" per se, that I had any issue with, other than the inconsistencies I had always had some concerns about. A funny thing happed though. I began to notice just how much more clearly I was able to think, as well as how much life improved without the organization's influence in my life.

At that point I needed to know. Because, really, at that time I still considered the jws the "truth". I was ready at that time to take an objective look into the organization that for almost 20 years I dedicated myself to. I read Crisis of Conscience, and I sensed the honesty and humilty of the author Ray Franz. I was able to communicate with him via email, and that further legitimized my opinon of him. The 607 issue, as well as the Mexico/Malawi debacle were perhaps, the two most convincing doctrinal/politcal issues that did me in as far as the WTS was concerned. No looking back since.

j

• tan
    tan

Where do I begin...

Child sexualmolestation & physical abuse as a child. A big reason...

Lies in deceipt within the congregation...covering up, sneaking, gossiping, fake, clickish congregations of people. Went back twice because that was all I knew and they make you believe that its the only life you can have.

Since leaving, I'm relieved, my feeling is that I will live this life to the fullest, if that's it then let it be so. I don't feel like I'm always looking over my back. I feel that God accepts me for who I am, an imperfect human being. That's the best that I can do.

Since I've been on this wonderful site, I realize that I'm not the only one. It's amazing how we all can relate from all over the world -- now that's unity. I feel more loved in this congregation of people then I ever felt within the organization.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1975..Armagedon will be here by 1975..We never said armageddon would be here by 1975..Next..The Generation of 1914 will not pass away..The generation of 1914 is nearly all dead..We have "New Light",everybody from the 1914 generation is gonna die..Dumb Ass`s!...OUTLAW

• Honesty
    Honesty

United Nations and the Watchtower whore who rode and got rode for almost 10 years until the lights were turned on.

Jesus is not worthy of being worshipped.

The above isssues are not necessarily listed in order of importance.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

How you stay in :

Rationalize , Excuse , Overlook, Explain away, Wait on, Different interpretations, I'm Weak,

Satan is trying to fool me.

Why you question :

It doesn't smell right.

Straw that broke the camels back.

The Generation will only live sooo long, tiiiime will tell, this has to happen and soon.

I promised myself if they wiggle out of this, I'll wiggle out of their organization.

I kept my promise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit