Any photographers here?

by SadElder 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam
    What is this 'digital' thing you speak of? REAL photography is done on film!! *sigh*.

Ha Bigmouth - ditto. I'm promising myself a Pentax 67 in the new year, still using Nikon 35mm and an old all manual Pentax.

Great pics SadElder

• SadElder
    SadElder

Thanks to all for the advice thus far. Perhaps I should just concentrate on purchasing more goodies for now. I already purchased Canon's 100-400 image stabilized lense and just received Sigmas new 24-70 macro which replaces that nasty freebie kit lense that came with my camera.

Any ideas as to where to go from here?

For the film shooters. I was reluctant to venture into digital, but now I find myself shooting more and critiquing in ways I never did with film. Though a daunting program Photoshop presents opportunities I never had with film.

Happy shooting

• SadElder
    SadElder

For those that asked, my web link shots are presently from Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, Florida and Paynes Prairie near Gainesville/Ocala.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Sorry, I don't use Canon or Nikon, though I respect both. I use Panasonic cameras that utilitze Leica glass. Some of the best pictures I've ever taken have come through the Leica glass...it just can't be beat! I hope all works out for you. :)

- Wing Commander

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

As you know, spending one day or weekend with someone more experienced, can really help. I think that there are a whole lot of ways to network with other nature photographers and Canon enthusiasts. I have friends in the field that are more into fashion and wedding photography, who also speak at trade shows and conventions and hold one day courses at their studios. I think the principle applies the same. There are probably some lifelong nature photographers who offer one and two day courses as well. Who knows, if you get good enough, then eventually you could do the same.

There are probably a lot of Canon forums as well as nature photography forums on the web that would prove useful as well. Even if they are dedicated to other models like the 20D or 30D, they can help.

There are probably local user groups as well that meet once a month and share ideas and experiences. This is the case here in Central Florida because of the large tourist/wedding market.

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

Oh and BTW, I'm with you as far as sticking to your present camera for now. I still have a 10D that I use.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Beautiful pictures SadElder.....Do you have your photos on www.flickr.com?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I shoot with the 1Ds Mark II.

I haven't used the 5D that much, but what little I have done, I would say its the best performance / price camera on the market. You'll have fun with it.

steve

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Also, it will make a difference moving to the 5D over the XT because it uses a full frame 35mm sensor. So your lens focal length will be accurate, and you will get a much greater control of your depth of field.

steve

• poppers
    poppers

Don't know anything about cameras, but just wanted to say that I love your photos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit