Where to start?

by nonamegiven 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

If this thread is assuming that the bible is from god, then just ignore the rest of my post as it is not my intention to introduce controversy.

I don't think the bible is from god. There are a lot of intersting aspects to it but I don't think a message from a loving god would come in such an easily misrepresntable form. I think the "book" from god can be read by looking at cats, dogs, bunnies, mountain vistas, sunsets, and other evidences of a loving god's handiwork. That book has lead to nearly every war we've suffered through since its "canon" has been complete. Too many people use it to justify hating the people they want to hate.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Where do (did) you look for answers?

You have to find your answers within yourself. You have them. Just look!!

• SB
    SB
    I have prayed long and hard for help from God (who ever that is) but I think I lack trust

the WT teaches that if you lack a spiritual side, it's your fault, you aren't praying enough, or studying enough or blah blah blah enough. my advice, and what i have found to be true, is stop feeling bad about lack of spirituality, and your own natural spirituality will begin to develop on a daily basis. you are going to start re-evaluating your feelings on every value you were indocrinated with. some will change, some may stay the same, but for the first time in your life you are thinking for yourself. don't rush that ~ develp your OWN spirituality, then if religion is what you still want in your life, begin exploring and have fun with it, it's educational if nothing else. don't feel bad for not belonging to one specific religion or church or bible though....

SB

• Nellie
    Nellie

I posted this same question months ago. . . I don't have a final answer for you.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

As always, Gary Buss has a fine point.

Where to start, indeed. Well, as you have decided to start with the Bible, I would start by investigating the HISTORY of the bible itself. It's quite an eye opener, and filled with lots of thrills. When was it written? Was it written by anyone who was present at the time of the events the author is documenting? Why did the Catholic church decide what was "inspired by (G)od" (read: Indisputably HOLY) and what was NOT (read: reason to kill people if they believed it)? Why did the Catholic Church then change its mind? Why are there scrolls surfacing now that were hidden all these years that were originally considered to be holy? Are they, should they, be part of the Bible?

Author Elaine Pagels has some wonderful works (easy and interesting to read) on the origins of the Bible itself.

You're on the right track. Strength and wisdom to you.

Baba.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I feel it's time for me to stop looking for falacies in the JW religion and start really looking for the truth about what's inthe bible. My question to you all is, where do I find it?

Are you looking for actual and real truth, or conceptual and believed "truth"? You obviously can not find the actual truth of a living tree in a book, even the Bible, yet you expect to find something greater still: the ultimate truth and understanding of the Source of all existence within the pages of a book? Seems a bit foolish when you think about it, doesn't it.

If you would like to save years and years of agony, I suggest you first learn how to tell the difference between what is simply a mental construct and belief, from what is real and actual. Then look deeper into what is real, actual and true for deeper truth. Makes sense, does it not, to look for truth in what we know is undeniably true already?

Here, let me help you; the Bible is nothing but thoughts put to words and placed on paper. There is some tree there (the paper), but no longer the actuality of the living tree. Forget the Bible. Now go up to a living tree and silently feel it's presence, feel the roughness of it's bark, smell it's fragrance, and listen to it's leaves as they dance in the wind. Now, we are getting somewhere. This is pretty real. However, the mind is only interpreting the movement of energy. No two people will interpret this tree the same. It may be a dream, a fictitious story told by the mind...just like the Bible. Is there something yet more real? Let's look closer.

Where is the experience of tree, unfolding? What is the one thing we all share and which unites us? What is closer than the experience of tree? Closer than everything you believe self and universe to be? What can not be denied? What is unquestionably and unequivocally real and true, right here, right now?

Clearly recognise what these questions are pointing to, and here is the door to peace and wholeness that you seek. Silently go deeper into what is already true. It's not about studying a book or books. It's about clearly seeing what is present and true, already. Everything you need, you already have. Turn, and look into what is looking. Realize your real Identity.

Be still, and know...

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I was outside a few weeks ago and I leaned against a pretty tree in the back yard.

I started to walk away and found that that tree put a lot of pitch on my shirt. Made me angry and I kicked the tree. That tree dropped a pine cone on my head!

Then it got cold and the wind blew and now I got a ton of leaves on the lawn. This is a very different tree. You see it has pine cones and leaves also that fall off in winter.

Sorry JT I just couldn't resist.

Actually JT has something there I think. I just haven't been able to find it. Although I do get a lot of pleasure from nature. Maybe I have found it and don't recognize it.

Outoftheorg

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Take your time. Don't rush. You don't want to get in one of those rebound relationships that are doomed to fail. Read a lot, explore. Don't reject anything reflexively because you 'should'. Don't accept things for that reason either. Ask questions and don't feel guilty when you don't agree or like the answer. Don't feel like you have to do things to please others that make you uncomfortable. At the same time, be willing to step out of your comfort zone-a little at a time and listen to other ideas. You don't have to agree with a Rabbi or Imam or Priest or Pastor and you can still learn a lot about how others see the world. This will make you smarter and more well rounded overall. Listen to a Conservative/Progressive radio station and see what is out there in the world (warning, both can be extreme-this is just an exploration of ideas-not buying into ANY of them).

You will find out some truths, and you will find that sometimes there is no definitive 'truth' to be found. Its ok. You can still love God and ask questions of him. He is bigger and better than any religion and knows what your heart is seeking-even if you never find it all or know it all. OK, first lesson, that is MY opinion and MY belief. If it isn't yours, thats ok with me:) There is a lot of good in the world and a lot of bad. You know the real differences, and it has nothing to do with whether Jesus arrives pre-/post/or mid tribulation. It has nothing to do with the origin of Christmas or going to a wedding in a 'church'. You won't catch spiritual cooties from a yard sale item. Best wishes, and congratulations on your escape..

Shelly

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Maybe its not the Bible or not even a religion that we should follow, i mean what's wrong with just being good citizens, practising good things & being good to our fellowmen. Why do we need a written document telling us what we should & shouldn't do? Why do we need an organised religion also saying the same thing? The Bible and its many different translations can be interpreted in so many different ways, who is right and who is wrong? I think we should just leave them to argue amongst themselves whilst we do our best to be good citizens & contribute to a good civilised society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit